ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1
RBN
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): Frankenstein

Have I wired this correctly? (SOLVED)

Hi all, just stopping by to ask your opinions on my wiring. I'm building a bobber using a 2010 ninja engine with '90 carbs and a 21119-1229 CDI. I have had a good mooch through the forum but I can't find a diagram without the standard loom and fusebox.

Thing is I'm getting no spark, nothing. The pick-up coil reads about 100 ohms which I think is correct? I'm running the more modern coil-sticks (coil-in-cap) which seem ok, and the feed to the coils and the cdi comes in at 12v. WHich is making me thing I've either been sold a duff cdi or I've cocked up on the wiring.

Last futzed with by RBN; March 4th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
RBN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Your problem is that your IC igniter (CDI) is wrong. The one you have, controls a pre-gen engine. The timing for the two engines are different. You need p/n# 21119-0096
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #3
RBN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Your problem is that your IC igniter (CDI) is wrong. The one you have, controls a pre-gen engine. The timing for the two engines are different. You need p/n# 21119-0096
What's the reason it won't spark though? Is the pickup coil different or something? It wouldn't run if the timing was miles out but it'd still spark.

Old March 4th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
have you taken care of all the appropriate safety kill switches lines? i think there is 2

Old March 4th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #5
RBN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
have you taken care of all the appropriate safety kill switches lines? i think there is 2
There aren't any, the picture above is the entire loom. As far as I am aware the safety switches just ground the G+BK wire, which I have done, although I did try it without it grounded just incase.

As far as I can tell the CDI has everything it needs 12v feed (I don't *think* this model had the anti-theft resistor did it?) wires grounded where needed etc etc.

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You could by-pass the CDI and test the coils by charging them and quickly opening the circuit before reaching ground (which is what the pick-up unit and the CDI do for each spark).

The coils work better with positive on one specific leg (top, I believe).

http://faq.ninja250.org/images/a/a7/..._Schematic.pdf

As you know, the pick-up coil needs certain gap to be able to send the pulse to the CDI.

It would be great that you could borrow parts from a working pre-gen to test everything.

Can feel your frustration, ...........don't give up
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #7
RBN
ninjette.org member

Turns out it was a duff CDI. By pure 1 in a million chance it turns out that the Yamaha XV250 has the exact same CDI (albeit probably with totally different timing) as I have access to a xv250 I was able to try the CDI and the spark is huge!

Never would have expected that bike to have the same unit, what are the chances of that?

Here's where my friend noticed it was the same:
http://www.auszookers.com/forum/view...445146#p445146

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a CDI is a CDI, all its doing is charging the coils and then cutting power at a specific delay after the pickup coil is triggered. the difference between CDIs come from how much charge current the coils need, and what kind of delay is needed for timing. some manufacturers put extra stuff in (ranging from safety-kill management, all the way up to simple forms of traction control and launch assist)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #9
RBN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
a CDI is a CDI, all its doing is charging the coils and then cutting power at a specific delay after the pickup coil is triggered. the difference between CDIs come from how much charge current the coils need, and what kind of delay is needed for timing. some manufacturers put extra stuff in (ranging from safety-kill management, all the way up to simple forms of traction control and launch assist)
Yeah, my thoughts exactly, hence my head scratching when it failed to operate. I have other CDI's here that would possibly work, GS500, EX500 but I've no idea what the timing on them is.

Either way I'll be returning this one and picking up another old EX250 one.