ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

7500 Maintenance Part 1 (image intensive)

So after I got back from my vacation, my oil looked a lot darker than normal and also higher. I decided to start my 7500 maintenance early (I'm a little over 7100)
oilsight.jpg
I got some Mobil 1 Racing 4T full synthetic and K&N 401 filter.
filter.jpg
Got my bike onto its rearstand.
propped.jpg
BTW, is it better to have larger or smaller spools? I have some Steel Horse spools which look like large frame sliders and they don't fully "sit" into the forks of the stand. I'll take pics when I get the chance. Got my oil pan underneath the drain plug (always recycle!).
pan.jpg
The oil wasn't actually as dark as I thought.
drip.jpg
I had bought this bike when it was at 6000 miles and previous oil change was at 5500 miles. Not sure if the previous owner was the hulk, but should the washer look like this?
washer.jpg
I can't imagine reusing the washer. I actually went through about 4 washers and still am unsure if I torqued correctly. I have a in/lb 3/8 torque wrench and it never seemed to click for me. More pressure would just crush the washer (is it supposed to since it's called a crush washer?). I finally just ended up using a normal ratchet and tightened to the point right before the washer would deform. I rode it a few miles and placed towels underneath to check for leaks.
I also could not get the oil filter off. I have a 3/8 ratchet that's only about 8 inches long, so I guess I'll invest in a longer ratchet unless someone has some other ideas.

windscreen.jpg
Someone stole my windscreen!
J/K I decided to paint it since it looks scratched up. Bought some spray paint for about $6 from Lowe's.
paint.jpg
Didn't want to go the usual black look, so got a metallic silver color to match my visor (chrome silver).
helmet.jpg
silver.jpg
I'll update a pic when it's on my bike, but I'm letting it dry til tomorrow. So I also cleaned and lubed my chain, changed my rear brake fluid, but am having trouble with my front cylinder.
brake.jpg
I didn't notice it when I bought the bike, but my right screw was stripped. The screw is tiny so I tried using my thinnest extractor, but ended up breaking the extractor while it was inside the screw. Anyone have any other ideas? I going to try a dremel and flathead screwdriver, but if that doesn't work I am looking for a new cylinder. I guess it'll also be my motivation to do stainless steel brake lines.
That's it for today. Tomorrow I am gonna dive into the engine itself and check valves and change my spark plugs. I also have to swing my Cycle Gear and get a windshield kit since I need to replace a few grommets for the windscreen and from my fairings. Any help is appreciated, thanks again!

After this, my next project is painting my fairings white and silver (love the pics from other members here!). Anyone good at photoshop that can create some designs?
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
I got some Mobil 1 Racing 4T full synthetic and K&N 401 filter.

Same stuff I use

should the washer look like this?
Attachment 8713

NO

I can't imagine reusing the washer. I actually went through about 4 washers and still am unsure if I torqued correctly. I have a in/lb 3/8 torque wrench and it never seemed to click for me.

Buy a torque wrench that is in ft lb or make sure you convert your in lb correctly.

I also could not get the oil filter off. I have a 3/8 ratchet that's only about 8 inches long, so I guess I'll invest in a longer ratchet

Get a longer ratchet or breaker bar

I'll update a pic when it's on my bike, but I'm letting it dry til tomorrow. So I also cleaned and lubed my chain, changed my rear brake fluid, but am having trouble with my front cylinder.
Attachment 8706
I didn't notice it when I bought the bike, but my right screw was stripped. The screw is tiny so I tried using my thinnest extractor, but ended up breaking the extractor while it was inside the screw.

Use the thickest extracor you have. I had the same problem. WalMart has some cheap extracors that worked pretty good.

bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I had the same issue getting the filter off. I bought a breaker bar from Sears. That will get the job done. Longer equals more torque. Gotta get that thing off some time.

On another note, I thought the 7500 mile service required a valve clearance check. I'd look into getting that done.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Cuongism

Yup, checking valves tomorrow. I'll try using a thicker extractor and hopefully it works.

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great pics. I use Mobile 1 racing 4T as well, great oil.
I can't wait to see the painted windscreen installed. That will be a very unique look.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #6
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

If you haven't already bought the windshield, there's a site, I think it's called new Enough or Nu-enough...I priced a few parts there and they were very reasonable. I'm sure someone else on the site has their correct name.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #7
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Duh ? Didn't get the J/K....well, glad to see no one stole your windshield. Being from NY...they'd take the air from your tires here.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Yeah, the idiot before you definitely overtightened that washer.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Duh ? Didn't get the J/K....well, glad to see no one stole your windshield. Being from NY...they'd take the air from your tires here.
Yea, grew up in NYC as well. Had 7 different breakins in my car (and I was driving a galant then!). Insurance was crazy high there for me too.

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Cuongism

Part 1 1/2

So today I went out a bought a 1/2 in drive breaker bar for my oil filter bolt. I'm not sure if I'm really weak, but still could not get that sucker off! I also managed to have the bike fall on me
Luckily the bike is fairly light and I was somehow able to catch it. The left spool was still attached to the rearstand so it was awkward trying to get the bike back onto the kickstand (had to kick the rearstand to it's side).
I finally gave up and brought it to a local scooter shop near me. I just had some Pho (awesome Vietnamese dish) and am now laying on some grass wondering why I like to do things myself
Here's a pic of the windscreen on. Paint came out nice and dried quickly. Not a huge fan of it yet, but I am planning on painting (probably myself) the bike white, silver and black so it'll match better.

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

After seeing that crush washer, I wouldn't be surprised you would have trouble with the bolt; the previous owner probably overtorqued that one as well.

Are you still going to do your valves yourself? If you are, there's a thread where people are listing what clearances they're getting. (I just can't remember what it is right off the top of my head.)
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
After seeing that crush washer, I wouldn't be surprised you would have trouble with the bolt; the previous owner probably overtorqued that one as well.

Are you still going to do your valves yourself? If you are, there's a thread where people are listing what clearances they're getting. (I just can't remember what it is right off the top of my head.)
Yup, I did read them and I do have a hard copy of the service manual. I'll probably do it next week though.

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

You get the screw out of the brake reservior yet?

I'm thinking you can remove the other screw and then the cap. Once the cap is off I think there will be enough of that stripped screw showing to grap with a pair of needle-nose or other set of pliers.

Good luck!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #14
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

That's weird about the screws. One of my screws on the brake reservior was partially stripped as well I thought "Oh, great" because I noticed it right when I was just about to install my SS lines (literally, had all my tools/parts laid out already). Somehow, I unscrewed the sucker and was able to install my SS lines. I then ordered another screw from the stealer ($2 ).
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
That's weird about the screws. One of my screws on the brake reservior was partially stripped as well I though "Oh great" because I noticed it right when I was just about to install my SS lines (literally, had all my tools/parts laid out already). Somehow, I unscrewed the sucker and was able to install my SS lines. I then ordered another screw from the stealer ($2 ).
Yea, I tried many different screwdrivers without any luck. Ace Hardware is generally overpriced (compared to big box stores like walmart or lowes), but they will have the most type of bolts/screws (a separate roomful). The screws are 25 cents so I got 4 of them just in case.

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #16
Cuongism

Part 2

So I finally got to finish my 7500 mile maintenance and was it a pain! I had access to my friend's garage since it's a lot of work. The painful part is removing the cylinder head cover. I had saved valves for last so I flushed and replaced my coolant just to have to drain it again to do the valves
Also as a FYI, when you're looking for the 2|T through the alternator cover, it's on the black metal part lightly engraved. It took me forever to find it (for the first timing, I just matched up the cams since I just thought my bike didn't have the markings).

My bike undressing

My bike naked

My spark plugs came out really light tan which surprised me since I thought I was running rich. I didn't do the WOT and chop though so not sure how accurate it'll be. All my valves were within spec so I am good for another 7500 miles
I fully appreciate the DIYers here since it's so time consuming to take pics (esp with dirty hands!). My clipons and compass/clock/temp just arrived today so I'll take pics when I finish those.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #17
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
where'd you get that clock/ompass/temp set? It looks sweet! what clipons are those?
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #18
Cuongism

I got the clock for $12 at walmart (do they have walmart in Canada?). If not, amazon.com also sells it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sport...i_sku=14324183

Clipons are by Woodcraft.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #19
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

LOL - yup, we have walmart.. just it's in the shape of an igloo.. j/k

Looks awesome, what'd you use to mount it?
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #20
Cuongism

Haha, I think of igloos when I hear Alaska. For Canada, I think of moose

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #21
jezebel
ninjette.org member