ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old May 24th, 2019, 04:11 PM   #1
JTuCk856
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition Red/Black

Anyone have any luck installing China made Digital Speedometer?

Just trying to find a cheap digital speedometer that works the way it should and figure out how to fit it in right on my 2010 ninja.. Not sure if anyone else has accomplished this or not or if it has been asked before (I looked, maybe overlooked it?) I seen the koso ones but just a little to expensive for me at the moment so I was looking at replica ones on ebay and I could deal with some of them if I could get it hooked up right. If anyone else has thought about it and tried it, please let me know. Thanks guys.
JTuCk856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2019, 11:38 PM   #2
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTuCk856 View Post
Just trying to find a cheap digital speedometer that works the way it should and figure out how to fit it in right on my 2010 ninja.. Not sure if anyone else has accomplished this or not or if it has been asked before (I looked, maybe overlooked it?) I seen the koso ones but just a little to expensive for me at the moment so I was looking at replica ones on ebay and I could deal with some of them if I could get it hooked up right. If anyone else has thought about it and tried it, please let me know. Thanks guys.
You will need a factory service manual/diagram and experience soldering and sepinning/repinning xonnectors, test light, multimeter, jumper wires, and a whole lot of patience.

This is a rx2n clone. From what I’ve seen this one is the most “organized” of the Knock offs (meaning the company sends a somewhat correct wiring diagram and tells you what some of its inputs are looking for). I have all functions working (2008i except speedo and tach (they are wired but not verified working). They supply the speedo so I’m 99% sure that’s fine. The issue with the tach is how to calibrate the cluster...2 cyl engine 2 COPs do I use 2 or 1 (1 fire per engine revolution).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1EF858DB-B997-4E75-AE4E-809439E94AE1.jpg (112.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 0818FA43-8F34-4675-ABAC-2F1E046CEABC.jpg (114.0 KB, 26 views)
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2019, 11:58 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Bike has uneven firing-order, so that may mess up tach if both are used. Factory tach uses just left coil, so any aftermarket tach can be connected similarly.

These dashes are pretty simple. In old days, I used a bicycle computer which was all self-contained and battery powered.

Recently installed Trail Tech Vapour dash. Took about 45-min with additional features of ambient-temp and coolant-temp. Only tricky part was aligning wheel-speed sensor just 1mm from wheel-magnet.

So all copycats of this or Koso should install similarly. If you're not good at soldering wires, might want to look up YouTube videos and practice. All wires should be crimped, soldered and shrink-wrapped for good electrical connection and corrosion resistance. Otherwise you'll have inconsistent signal that'll drive you crazy and waste tonnes of time troubleshooting.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2019, 06:48 AM   #4
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Bike has uneven firing-order, so that may mess up tach if both are used. Factory tach uses just left coil, so any aftermarket tach can be connected similarly.

These dashes are pretty simple. In old days, I used a bicycle computer which was all self-contained and battery powered.

Recently installed Trail Tech Vapour dash. Took about 45-min with additional features of ambient-temp and coolant-temp. Only tricky part was aligning wheel-speed sensor just 1mm from wheel-magnet.

So all copycats of this or Koso should install similarly. If you're not good at soldering wires, might want to look up YouTube videos and practice. All wires should be crimped, soldered and shrink-wrapped for good electrical connection and corrosion resistance. Otherwise you'll have inconsistent signal that'll drive you crazy and waste tonnes of time troubleshooting.
Thanks for the help on the tach...I’m currently connected to the black wire that powers the factory tach I’m going to go with that first since I’m able to just repin the connector. You only do use one, thanks for the tip on left. The issue is just the sheet that comes with the gauge doesnt say how to calibrate the tach once it’s connected...that 1 coil is going to fire every revolution of the engine (waste fire) or every other (conventional) I don’t really know. In waste fire the signal is just straight to tach 1 fire = 1 rpm. In conventional the cluster would need to double the amount 1 fire = 1/2 rpm. It just says to “program number of cylinders.” When I light off the motor it should be pretty obvious if it’s idling right or at 650 rpm

For this rx2n I was able to do the whole job with just one solder...the factory dash doesn’t have a constant 12v source just two ignition 12v. So the second one (meter, cluster backlight) I cut it about 6” south of the connector and ran it to the ignition switch nearby for constant 12v. You could live without it if you didn’t care about the clock.

Here is a Hall effect sensor I did for a SV650 with a 08 gsxr front end. If you make the bracket such that the sensor can be threaded in/out, it’s very easy to spin the tire on the triple tree front stand and set gap with a feeler gauge. Make sure you route it well the rotor are the ground wire the first time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55692932-51DA-4898-8BC0-A9FDFE3D4F40.jpg (73.2 KB, 9 views)

Old May 25th, 2019, 10:30 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Not sure what RX2N clone has for tach settings. You want waste-spark.
Here’s how to set original RX2N.
Set "RPM impulse menu" to #1 = 4C-2P. Then signal-impulse = LO.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 25th, 2019 at 04:23 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2019, 04:21 PM   #6
JTuCk856
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition Red/Black

Little bit more complicated then I was thinking lol Thanks for the reply though. You guys happen to know where any used Koso RX-2 kits are at? Or at least one thats not factory price?
JTuCk856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2019, 02:46 PM   #7
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Just fabricated a speedo bracket and hooked it up, works as advertised. Measure circumference of FRONT tire and convert to mm (1854 for me). Use youtube videos to figure out how to navigate the menu to program this (it's like a speedo healer). "C1854." I will verify with GPS, with all other bikes speedo healers I just get 65mph to be correct GPS verified and then the rest is what it is, 25mph is usually 1-2mph off.

I am currently connected to black wire ignition from the stock harness and (use videos again) have P=1 on the main screen then PULSE= 1. When I have the bike running I will report back how this works. This gauge can switch between PNP and NPN.