Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #1
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Honda fights back

It looks like the success of the 250 Ninja is finally being challenged by Honda with the new Honda VTR250 Roadster. I think the bike looks good although (Honda being a pretty smart company) it isn't a direct competitor since it is a naked street fighter design (Ducati Monster influence) instead of the full fairing (Ninja) design.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15apr...nda_vtr250.htm

It is for the European market right now but with the Ninja 250R success I believe it will be here soon.

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #2
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

Front fender looks like it's off a huffy, but that could be a mean looking little ride with a few changes. Not giving up my 'jette for it though.
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

The ninjette has had competition from the others for years, just never in the states. For some reason Kawasaki is the only one that competes for the 250 market in the states. If you look around the globe you'll find other 150/250/300/400 sport bikes from the others that we've never seen or even heard of.

Hell even Kawasaki doesn't respect the 250 market in the states that much. We never got the ZZR250 that Canada did. We also never saw the ZX-250r that Japan and Australia got. Both bikes are better then the EX250F to some degree, but never brought to American public.

Hopefully with the recent sales of the Ninjette they've opened the Japanese bike makers eyes to see that the small bike market is indeed strong in the states and will start competing for a share of it. Imagine if they brought back the little 250 inline 4's they all used to make?
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #4
poopooegg
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I may reconsider my purchase decision if this 250 comes out from Honda in Canada!
poopooegg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Snake

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
^^^^Kawasaki has much better bikes^^^^ just my opinion.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #6
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I would definitely like to see more bikes in the 250 to 400cc range.

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryne

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I like that Honda, but I'd never trade the Ninj for it.

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
It is for the European market right now but with the Ninja 250R success I believe it will be here soon.
Doubtful. There are so many smaller bikes for sale in elsewhere in the world that still haven't been brought to the states after years of production. Aprilia finally brought it's 125 to the states, but it's a "track only" version. Why? Beats me. Automakers and motorcycling companies are convinced that America is an entirely different market than the rest of the world. Here, the Ninja 250 is considered an "entry-level bike". Go read reviews, that's all they ever say. Anything smaller than a 600 in the states is considered a beginner's bike. A real bike is at least 600cc's big. Or at least that's how they think (or seem to think). Anywhere else, this a bike that seasoned riders buy and use for years as their primary machine. Look at Indonesia. This a large bike for them. Here, a very common remark is "So when are you gonna move up?" I believe this mentality has worn off on manufacturers. This is not my opinion, and doesn't apply to most of us on this forum (who happen to be a much smarter and more mature bunch than the average American), but unfortunately this mentality seems to be present in a majority.
And it's not just with motorcycles. Look at cars. Ford sells an entirely different line of cars in Europe than in America. Why? Because they're convinced it's a different market. If you ask me, that's a load of bs, but that's what they've said. There, the Focus is a decent car. Here, it's a POS designed for the 30-something women who can't distinguish between a wrench and a steering wheel. There are tons of cars in Europe with engines smaller than 2.0L that get almost 40mpg and still deliver decent power. Try to find that in the states. Here, 30 mpg is a godsend and a 3.5L engine in a sedan is normal. IMHO, that's ridiculous, there is no need for that. It seems to me that Auto and Motorcycle manufacturers are both convinced that America is an entirely different market than the rest of the world, and therefore, those of who know differently, get shafted because we get neither the bikes nor cars we drool over.
Okay, end rant/editorial. I hope I didn't offend anyone in there, I just get very worked up over this. I almost started to dance when I heard Alfa Romeos might start to get imported again (envision how sad this is and you understand my problems ).
Deep breathe...
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #9
sombo

+1

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #10
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
Doubtful. There are so many smaller bikes for sale in elsewhere in the world that still haven't been brought to the states after years of production. Aprilia finally brought it's 125 to the states, but it's a "track only" version. Why? Beats me. Automakers and motorcycling companies are convinced that America is an entirely different market than the rest of the world. Here, the Ninja 250 is considered an "entry-level bike". Go read reviews, that's all they ever say. Anything smaller than a 600 in the states is considered a beginner's bike. A real bike is at least 600cc's big. Or at least that's how they think (or seem to think). Anywhere else, this a bike that seasoned riders buy and use for years as their primary machine. Look at Indonesia. This a large bike for them. Here, a very common remark is "So when are you gonna move up?" I believe this mentality has worn off on manufacturers. This is not my opinion, and doesn't apply to most of us on this forum (who happen to be a much smarter and more mature bunch than the average American), but unfortunately this mentality seems to be present in a majority.
And it's not just with motorcycles. Look at cars. Ford sells an entirely different line of cars in Europe than in America. Why? Because they're convinced it's a different market. If you ask me, that's a load of bs, but that's what they've said. There, the Focus is a decent car. Here, it's a POS designed for the 30-something women who can't distinguish between a wrench and a steering wheel. There are tons of cars in Europe with engines smaller than 2.0L that get almost 40mpg and still deliver decent power. Try to find that in the states. Here, 30 mpg is a godsend and a 3.5L engine in a sedan is normal. IMHO, that's ridiculous, there is no need for that. It seems to me that Auto and Motorcycle manufacturers are both convinced that America is an entirely different market than the rest of the world, and therefore, those of who know differently, get shafted because we get neither the bikes nor cars we drool over.
Okay, end rant/editorial. I hope I didn't offend anyone in there, I just get very worked up over this. I almost started to dance when I heard Alfa Romeos might start to get imported again (envision how sad this is and you understand my problems ).
Deep breathe...
The reason Aprilia sells the RS125 as a track only bike is because of emissions. It is a 2 stroke and would not pass emissions.

As for the rest, while a lot of it is hyped up by "enthusiast" magazines, it is true in some respects that Americans think differently. Do we need the bigger bikes or cars with bigger engines, no, but do we want them, you bet!!

Things are changing all the time. It might not be too long before people wise up. Of course I'm not one to talk because to me I like to enjoy the drive and would not totally get rid of my V8 cars or low mpg turbo 4 cylinder car. I might not drive them everyday, but by no means would I abandon them completely.

But back on topic, I like the Honda, but wouldn't take a naked bike as a primary bike. It would be a great supplement though.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #11
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

By no means do I think that large engines need to be abandoned, for those same engines are also sold all over the world in addition to the smaller engines, which is what I think is key, to keep all the options open, instead of limiting the market to what manufacturers or magazines believe. I know that I would always like to have a good, powerful sports car in my garage, but I would also have no issue with having a second, cheap commuter with a small engine.
And I hear you about the magazines, they do an excellent job of exaggerating.

But yes, back to the topic. I think the bike looks nice and I sure wouldn't mind seeing it on the roads here!
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I think America's view of small displacement bikes has changed. The Ninja 250R has helped as has the number of people who ride scooters. Scooters are huge in the rest of the world and they have finally caught on here.

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #13
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

what about United Motor?
There's a 250 in area for sale but i wasn't sure if UM is a good bike.
http://www.umamerica.com/site/usa/mo...ml#usa_motosp2
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #14
kkim

stay away from the UMs.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #15
sombo

The United Motors is just a re-badged Hyosung bike. From all the reviews of that bike they are great in design but bad in quality. I'd say if you give them about 10 years to learn how to build to the same quality of the ninja you'll have one of it's strongest competitors.

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #16
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
The United Motors is just a re-badged Hyosung bike. From all the reviews of that bike they are great in design but bad in quality. I'd say if you give them about 10 years to learn how to build to the same quality of the ninja you'll have one of it's strongest competitors.
Hyosung?
are they from korea?
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #17
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Agreed. Quality is poor, and I'm sure finding parts will not be nearly as easy when it breaks (and it will). I looked at them, but even the build quality wasn't nearly as nice. There is a dealer right down the street from me that sells them, but for most people there is nothing local.

They have been around for a while, but just aren't of the same quality.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #18
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
Hyosung?
are they from korea?
Yes they are from Korea, and yes they will break, and their customer support is very bad atm along with getting parts.

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #19
kkim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqDzeCVkX0

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Not to mention their brand reputation is completely nonexistent, which makes their resale worthless, and consequently makes their cost of ownership much higher. Buy a $7k honda, sell it in 3 years for $5K. Buy a $4K ninjette, sell it in 3 years for $2700+. Buy a $5K Hyosung, sell it in 3 years for $1500 if you're lucky.

That has absolutely zero to do with the inherent quality of the machines, which have never received positive reviews anyway.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #21
Visus
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Very nice bike! I'd be all over that.
Visus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #22
Snake

I noticed it had a V twin engine.

Old April 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #23
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuriel View Post
I noticed it had a V twin engine.
yes, hence the name... VTR250 Roadster

Old April 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #24
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

I think part of the appeal of the smaller engine bikes is that you get to use them to their fullest potential. What fun is it to have a 'busa and never get it up into its powerband? I get to use every ounce of bike paid for, and have a blast doing it. I think people are starting to get that; I know my 'little' bike gets a lot of respect after being chased around for a few hours on the twisties.

That said, the more the merrier. I'd love to see a small displacement
Aprilia Shiver.
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #25
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Kawasaki is losing money on the Ninja 250, so I think that's a good deterrent for other manufs to not bring a competing bike over. Think about it... $3995 for a new Ninja 250R. Have you priced scooters and 250cc dirt bikes lately? 4Gs is an absolute steal. By the time Kawi designs, manufacturs & transports the bike over here, they're losing. They do it for brand loyalty. They want you to ride the bike then move up to a 6, which is what a lot of people ARE doing. Genius, I tell ya! Honda & Yamaha could bring there 250 4s over here, but those things are gonna cost $8,000 and nobody's gonna buy them.

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Kawasaki is losing money on the Ninja 250
Richard, you may very well be right on that point, but I'm not sure any of us without Kawasaki Motors on our business card could confirm that for sure. What I do know is that no matter what the product is, if you can use the same tooling for 10+ years, whatever you were losing on the first one, you'll be losing a lot less as the years go on. Wonder why the last-gen ninjette had minimal changes for almost 20 years? Wonder no more. I don't see any significant changes for the current-gens for 8+ years. Only thing I'd predict is that if the carbed models can't meet emissions in future years, the FI model becomes more widespread...

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #27
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

No doubt Kawasaki doesn't see much of a profit on the Ninja 250.

My lowly Suzuki DR200 retails for over $4000 this year, and it's a stripped down, no frills dual sport. Single thumper engine with no bells and no whistles. No turn signal cancel, no fairing, no wind shield, engine mounted choke lever, no rear rack, no tachometer, tubed tires... I love it for my purposes, but it's basically a primitive engine with wheels and a seat.

The Kawi is downright refined next to it, has more HP, more useful features, goes twice as fast, and costs less.

I doubt Honda will deliver the VTR to the states for less than 5k.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #28
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

HONDA SUCKS!!!

Oh wait, I got one of there motors on my lawn mower
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #29
sombo

Sorry to disagree, but it's not as expensive for them to build as you think. The '07 ninjette cost dealerships about $2750 (a dealer showed me this once back then) and was being sold at $3000. Granted it didn't generate alot of money but it still paid for itself. Now, with the 'J' model 250 they moved the factory to China to reduce production costs, they also increased the price of the bike by nearly $1000 for '09 as compared to the '07. They may not be making a ton of money on them, but I do not believe they are losing money on their best selling bike world wide.

As for the other manufactures, they still make those 250 bikes. They never stopped making 250 sport bikes. They just NEVER brought them to the USA. Instead they send them to Europe, or Canada, or Australia, or other parts of Asia. If the manufacturers were losing so much money on the small bikes world wide then they would stop making them in numbers greater then the big bikes. It's not about brand loyalty but about controlling the market to make more profits. In the USA the general feeling is bigger is better and so all vehicle manufacturers focus on bigger vehicles for the USA and ignoring the smaller ones. It's all about control, nothing more, nothing less.

There fixed my mistake. :P

Last futzed with by sombo; April 16th, 2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth a darn lol.

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #30
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Quote:
It's not about brand loyalty but about controlling the market to make more prophets.
They don't make prophets like they used to...

Old April 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #31
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0kediver View Post
They don't make prophets like they used to...

LOL, I didn't even notice I did that. You know what I meant. :P

Old April 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #32
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Yes, I knew what you meant, but I hate to pass up the chance to capitalize on an honest mistake

Old April 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #33
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Honda FTW
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #34
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

The Ninja 250R is killing it in the market of Australia, before the '08 bike came out, the highest selling 250cc bike in Australia was the Hyosuck GT250R followed by the Honda VTR250. But since the new-gen Ninja 250R came out, its blitz the competition and is now the highest selling 250cc bike here by a mile!

But with that said, many people over here in Australia have the VTR and say that its a great little bike to learn on and is really forgiving for learners, so when and if this new Roadster edition does come to Australia, the Ninja 250R would have to watch it's back!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #35
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

I love the way those VTR250's look. Too bad they aren't here in Canada. I would have bought it already.

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
The '07 ninjette cost dealerships about $2750 (a dealer showed me this once back then) and was being sold at $3000. Granted it didn't generate alot of money but it still paid for itself. Now, with the 'J' model 250 they moved the factory to China to reduce production costs, they also increased the price of the bike by nearly $1000 for '09 as compared to the '07.
The difference between what dealers pay and what dealers sell them for has little to do with what Kawi is making on the machines themselves. If dealers couldn't make anything on them, they'd order none and there wouldn't be any point in Kawi making them in the first place. For all we know it's costing them $3500 all in per unit (including development time, factory setup, etc), yet they still do this in order to build the brand and get more people on to their more profitable bikes. Or maybe it costs them $1500 per bike and they are making a killing. Hard to say without actually being in the know.

As far as I know, the factory wasn't moved to China, but instead to Thailand. But yes, it was done to help manage manufacturing costs.

Old April 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #37
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Although Kawasaki does not release sales figures for the 250, it has always been referred to by them as their best-selling bike for all but a few years since it was introduced. They would not be producing this bike, or most notably spending the big bucks necessary to revamp the design in '08, if it wasn't making money for them.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #38
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
They would not be producing this bike, or most notably spending the big bucks necessary to revamp the design in '08, if it wasn't making money for them.
Sure they would. Companies do it all the time. Even smart companies, like Sony. PS3 anyone?

Old April 17th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #39
Snake

In the fight between Kawi and Honda..Kawi will win hands down.

Old April 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #40
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Sure they would. Companies do it all the time. Even smart companies, like Sony. PS3 anyone?
That's not really the same situation. Sony was willing to take a loss on the PS3 in order to get the product into the market. They expect to recoup that loss and undoubtedly will the longer it's on the market.
The Ninja 250 is undeniably Kawi's sales leader world-wide. Confirmation of this fact is widely available, even if they aren't as fourthcoming with sales figures as some other companies. Retooling the production lines and building a brand-new factory in Thailand to manufacture the redesigned Ninja was a huge investment for them. One that no company would make unless the market was already established. The Japanese did not achieve their manufacturing prowess by building products that don't sell.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote