Old January 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #81
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
well, i did it! passed both the motorcycle and auto tests perfectly. So I am a permitted rider for six months, then I automatically get my endorsement.
Congratulations, Stephen !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #82
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

thanks for all the responses guys. I felt comfortable on the new gen and totally have my heart set on it. also, i think it'll be the perfect bike because it seems like a great balance of a sensible commuter and a fun sport bike.
Posted via Mobile Device
StephenA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #83
Plumbernick9
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I'm not knocking those who take the MSF with zero riding skills because let's be honest where else can you hop on a bike and learn with no experience. But at the same time I also see the MSF as a $250 bribe to the state so you can get a license with nearly zero chance at failing. I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers hear but I've heard some amazing stories of riders clearly unsafe to handle a motorcycle being passed. I've also seen my share of riders on the street that make me think that that person doesn't belong on a bike. Motorcycles just carry to high a penalty to those who can't handle them. So when the system allows someone to essentially pay $250 to ride in 15mph circles and cram for a written test, then is given full access to 200hp machines it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Note: I don't think passing the DMV cone test proves your any better of a rider because simply put the cone test is a bigger joke then the MSF passing ever student indiscriminately.

Im glad you have joined us here and have chosen a sensible bike to start on I wish you safe and fun learning experience. If you have a chance to hop on a dirt bike with some friends don't pass it up you'll learn a lot.
How is this any different from a 16 year old kid with a new drivers license getting behind the wheel of a brand new Z06 Corvette?

If you don't have the skill, you shouldn't be behind the wheel. The actual license has nothing to with it.
Plumbernick9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #84
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbernick9 View Post
How is this any different
please define "this"?

Link to original page on YouTube.

allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #85
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Congrats Stephen! I have a couple tips for you. Here's what I wish I did with the cyclegear discount. Make one big purchase with it. I have no idea what kind of riding you are planning on doing. If you are going to be tearing up Mulholland drive and featured on rnickeymouse's youtube channel, you should consider picking up a one piece suit, nice gloves, boots, and a helmet. Buy all that together. Yes, it will hurt but the discount on all of that will be worth it. Plus buying gear is best done in person, you get to try stuff on. Be wary of the stuff they have sales on. I bought my Shoei on sale but the real discount will be on the Built house brand. I don't care if it fits you or looks cool to you, don't spend money on that garbage.

I also would strongly suggest buying a Ninja 300. Unless you plan on racing in the 250 class, the 300 would be a better buy for you in every way even with the higher price tag. Also trust me, I'm short, really short, the 300 has a better tank for small people and the seat's width is skinnier up front. It's actually is easier to get toes to touch than on a 250.

And yes, @rojoracing53 is absolutely spot on about the joy of riding a 250/300 in the streets. Keyword streets. The longevity of your enjoyment totally depends on you though. I spent what you're about to pay on my 250 and I really can't sell the thing until I've owned it for a year. I knew that going in and I do still enjoy it. Most likely you will out grow the power quickly. Your brother's shadow will probably smoke it. The reason I suggest the 300 isn't so much the power, it's more that it's everything I like about the 250 except more. Fuel injection, broader power band, looks like a bigger bike, an little less cheesy looking. As for wanting a CBR 600, that's my dyed in the wool Honda love talking. There are things about supersport bikes that I really like that (no offense) someone in your position can't quite yet appreciate. The powerful brakes, the suspension, ergonomics, instant throttle response, and of course the power, are all things I wish my 250 had. The problem is with those bikes is that the performance potential is way too high for public roads. Even on my Ninja 250 when I start wicking up the speed on a twisty road I'm passing all kinds of cars and if a cop were to see me I'd most likely go home in the backseat. Truth be told, I'm not really pushing the limits of the 250 while being that much faster than traffic around me. If I had a cbr those risks and speeds would be much higher. To get a bike vs car perspective. At Laguna Seca raceway the fastest production car lap is from a Dodge Viper srt10 ACR. That's the crazy limited production barely street legal one. It ran a 1:35. Back when rojo was racing a 600 I think he was doing 1:32s. That's how ridiculous motorcycle performance is.

I understand what your brother is saying. You're about to spend a lot of money on something and he wants to make sure you get the right thing. These low power bikes are extremely forgiving, yet extremely good learning tools, and cheap to operate.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #86
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Stephen, the 300 is a better bike than the 250's, but you are also looking at 3X the cost of a newgen and 4X the cost of the pregen. Just saying.

When you get gear, don't buy anything unless it fits correctly in the store. Don't listen to the sales guy when he says that the helmet stuffing will shrink to fit your head. Or that you need a haircut. Or thinner socks. The helmet might shrink by maybe 10% over a year of use. But if its too tight in the store, it will be too tight forever. I also recommend modulars for ease of use.

I like jiggle's sig line which says "If the Ninja 250 doesn't have enough power for you, then you don't know how to ride it." And its pretty much true. The R6's and such will pull away from me in a straightaway, but then I end up hitting my brakes to avoid hitting them in a curve. Also, there is traffic which is going to be there no matter what you ride. And also the faster you ride, the more likely a cager will pull out in front of you because he didn't see you.

Good luck. I hope whatever you get works out.

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #87
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
How is this any different from a 16 year old kid with a new drivers license getting behind the wheel of a brand new Z06 Corvette?

If you don't have the skill, you shouldn't be behind the wheel. The actual license has nothing to with it.
Because its not as common for a 16 year kid to buy a Z06 Corvette for 30-40K as it is for them to go buy a 600-1000 sport bike for 6-8K. Also as much as I hate to admit it the actual behind the wheel test is closer to whats needed for driving a car then the cone test is for whats needed to ride. Plus people fail the drivers test all the time whereas people hardly ever fail the MSF class.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #88
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Congrats Stephen! I have a couple tips for you. Here's what I wish I did with the cyclegear discount. Make one big purchase with it. I have no idea what kind of riding you are planning on doing. If you are going to be tearing up Mulholland drive and featured on rnickeymouse's youtube channel, you should consider picking up a one piece suit, nice gloves, boots, and a helmet. Buy all that together. Yes, it will hurt but the discount on all of that will be worth it. Plus buying gear is best done in person, you get to try stuff on. Be wary of the stuff they have sales on. I bought my Shoei on sale but the real discount will be on the Built house brand. I don't care if it fits you or looks cool to you, don't spend money on that garbage.

I also would strongly suggest buying a Ninja 300. Unless you plan on racing in the 250 class, the 300 would be a better buy for you in every way even with the higher price tag. Also trust me, I'm short, really short, the 300 has a better tank for small people and the seat's width is skinnier up front. It's actually is easier to get toes to touch than on a 250.

And yes, @rojoracing53 is absolutely spot on about the joy of riding a 250/300 in the streets. Keyword streets. The longevity of your enjoyment totally depends on you though. I spent what you're about to pay on my 250 and I really can't sell the thing until I've owned it for a year. I knew that going in and I do still enjoy it. Most likely you will out grow the power quickly. Your brother's shadow will probably smoke it. The reason I suggest the 300 isn't so much the power, it's more that it's everything I like about the 250 except more. Fuel injection, broader power band, looks like a bigger bike, an little less cheesy looking. As for wanting a CBR 600, that's my dyed in the wool Honda love talking. There are things about supersport bikes that I really like that (no offense) someone in your position can't quite yet appreciate. The powerful brakes, the suspension, ergonomics, instant throttle response, and of course the power, are all things I wish my 250 had. The problem is with those bikes is that the performance potential is way too high for public roads. Even on my Ninja 250 when I start wicking up the speed on a twisty road I'm passing all kinds of cars and if a cop were to see me I'd most likely go home in the backseat. Truth be told, I'm not really pushing the limits of the 250 while being that much faster than traffic around me. If I had a cbr those risks and speeds would be much higher. To get a bike vs car perspective. At Laguna Seca raceway the fastest production car lap is from a Dodge Viper srt10 ACR. That's the crazy limited production barely street legal one. It ran a 1:35. Back when rojo was racing a 600 I think he was doing 1:32s. That's how ridiculous motorcycle performance is.

I understand what your brother is saying. You're about to spend a lot of money on something and he wants to make sure you get the right thing. These low power bikes are extremely forgiving, yet extremely good learning tools, and cheap to operate.
thanks for replying man. I appreciate it very much. But to be honest I would absolutely love to get a new 300, but the truth is i cannot. 1. I'm a college student and honestly cannot afford to spend more than a year's tuition on a bike. and 2. I would hate to drop a brand new bike. cuz lets be honest, everyone is going to drop their bike, and more likely than not, it will be in the first year of riding so it would just hurt too much to drop a brand new 300. that's why i'm shooting for a 250, it's a whole lot cheaper yet still enough bike to commute to school and work and yet still take it out on the weekends and have some fun.

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #89
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
thanks for replying man. I appreciate it very much. But to be honest I would absolutely love to get a new 300, but the truth is i cannot. 1. I'm a college student and honestly cannot afford to spend more than a year's tuition on a bike. and 2. I would hate to drop a brand new bike. cuz lets be honest, everyone is going to drop their bike, and more likely than not, it will be in the first year of riding so it would just hurt too much to drop a brand new 300. that's why i'm shooting for a 250, it's a whole lot cheaper yet still enough bike to commute to school and work and yet still take it out on the weekends and have some fun.
+1
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #90
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
I rode with a guy yesterday riding his first street bike a 2007 GS500 he said he test quite a few bikes before buying it and it seemed to be the right fit for him and not to aggressive of a riding position. I asked if he tested the ninja 250 and he said yes but everyone just whats to much money for them. He said the gs500 was way cheaper and yes he's dropped it once last week going like 10mph through some black ice.

As with most first time motorcycle owners Anthony is all smiles about his gs500

Old January 20th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #91
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
I rode with a guy yesterday riding his first street bike a 2007 GS500

A little off-topic, but where is this?
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #92
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The MSF cert means you don't have to take the riding test at the DMV to get a license in CA. But you still need to take the written test.
I took mine in Washington (where I live) and we took both the written and the writing test at the MSF facility. Both were really simple, but I'm not complaining!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #93
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
You should PM @CycleCam303 about outgrowing a 250. He's had his for about 4 months and loves it but at the same time he always lusting for a CBR600 simply because he's never felt the forbidden power. Your always going to want to know the unknown. Cyclecam is a very modest, fast and talented kid with an honest opinion of what you will be going though this year.
Sounds about like me except i've had my 250 for 9 months, put 8000 miles on it. I ride a 100 mile round trip to/from school (all interstate) and the 250 just isn't cutting it aside from good gas mileage. It'll go 100, but lacks that crazy power that is occasionally needed for the interstate, particularly the road I ride. Also, getting blown around like crazy from wind isn't fun.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #94
n4mwd

Quote:
I rode with a guy yesterday riding his first street bike a 2007 GS500 he said he test quite a few bikes before buying it and it seemed to be the right fit for him and not to aggressive of a riding position. I asked if he tested the ninja 250 and he said yes but everyone just whats to much money for them. He said the gs500 was way cheaper and yes he's dropped it once last week going like 10mph through some black ice.

As with most first time motorcycle owners Anthony is all smiles about his gs500
Nice road!

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #95
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
A little off-topic, but where is this?
That looks to be the 9 (Big Basin Way?) - vid starts off at Skyline Blvd before the left turn onto the 9.
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #96
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
That looks to be the 9 (Big Basin Way?) - vid starts off at Skyline Blvd before the left turn onto the 9.
Give this man a prize

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #97
Plumbernick9
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Because its not as common for a 16 year kid to buy a Z06 Corvette for 30-40K as it is for them to go buy a 600-1000 sport bike for 6-8K. Also as much as I hate to admit it the actual behind the wheel test is closer to whats needed for driving a car then the cone test is for whats needed to ride. Plus people fail the drivers test all the time whereas people hardly ever fail the MSF class.
True, true. I stand corrected.

Old January 20th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #98
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Sounds about like me except i've had my 250 for 9 months, put 8000 miles on it. I ride a 100 mile round trip to/from school (all interstate) and the 250 just isn't cutting it aside from good gas mileage. It'll go 100, but lacks that crazy power that is occasionally needed for the interstate, particularly the road I ride. Also, getting blown around like crazy from wind isn't fun.
I've put 10,000 miles on mine in the past 3 months, 95% of it highway, please, tell me about how it doesn't have power for the freeway.

You don't need crazy power on the freeway. There are times when it is nice to be able to roll on the throttle and get ahead of something, but I have yet to experience any time where I would actually need it. Oh, I also drive a truck, probably about 18000 miles over the past 3 months, and I have yet to see a situation where I bike would need to accelerate out of trouble. You maneuver out of trouble, not accelerate out of it.

And how, do tell, is a bigger motor in a bike going to help with getting blown around by the wind?
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #99
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
I've put 10,000 miles on mine in the past 3 months, 95% of it highway, please, tell me about how it doesn't have power for the freeway.

You don't need crazy power on the freeway. There are times when it is nice to be able to roll on the throttle and get ahead of something, but I have yet to experience any time where I would actually need it. Oh, I also drive a truck, probably about 18000 miles over the past 3 months, and I have yet to see a situation where I bike would need to accelerate out of trouble. You maneuver out of trouble, not accelerate out of it.

And how, do tell, is a bigger motor in a bike going to help with getting blown around by the wind?
Well in theory a bigger motor will be in a bigger bike and it will be heavier, which should help SOME of being blown around.

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #100
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I here riders complain about wind all the time, I don't know what riding in the wind really is until you race willow springs in the summer, now that's wind

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #101
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
Well in theory a bigger motor will be in a bigger bike and it will be heavier, which should help SOME of being blown around.
You'd think so, but consider that the bigger bike also means a bigger amount of bike catching the wind, and in general, the increase in wind catching is going to be more than the increase in wind.

Some bikes are better than others, and I'm not claiming small bikes are always, or even normally, better. But most of the big bike guys I've talked to say they have the same problems with the wind as I do.

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #102
Plumbernick9
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
I here riders complain about wind all the time, I don't know what riding in the wind really is until you race willow springs in the summer, now that's wind
What's willow springs?

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #103
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
What's willow springs?
It's a race track in California where its common to get 60 mph winds across the track. Most notably is the 140mph sweeper turn 8 where the wind hits you hard from the inside trying to lift your front wheel while cranked all the way over on your knee. You'll be going through turn 8 three feet off the rear tire of the rider in front of you with your throttle pined while his rear tire is leaving a black stripe 200 yards long. Then all of a sudden a gust of wind hits you, then his elbow hits the floor and before you can flinch he's gone, sliding on his back at a buck 40 heading for the dirt. As you keep the throttle pined so the guy behind you doesn't pass you, you think to your self "holy $hit that could have been me, thank god I was in his draft". Then as grab two down shifts with no brakes you throw it into turn 9 trying to scrub speed and hit the apex another gust of wind hits you. Your front tire tucks causing both you and the guy behind you to miss the 100 mph apex by 15 feet but you both keep it up and drag race to the finish.

So compared to racing willow some heavy winds on the freeway are laughable at best

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #104
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It's a race track in California where its common to get 60 mph winds across the track. Most notably is the 140mph sweeper turn 8 where the wind hits you hard from the inside trying to lift your front wheel while cranked all the way over on your knee. You'll be going through turn 8 three feet off the rear tire of the rider in front of you with your throttle pined while his rear tire is leaving a black stripe 200 yards long. Then all of a sudden a gust of wind hits you, then his elbow hits the floor and before you can flinch he's gone, sliding on his back at a buck 40 heading for the dirt. As you keep the throttle pined so the guy behind you doesn't pass you, you think to your self "holy $hit that could have been me, thank god I was in his draft". Then as grab two down shifts with no brakes you throw it into turn 9 trying to scrub speed and hit the apex another gust of wind hits you. Your front tire tucks causing both you and the guy behind you to miss the 100 mph apex by 15 feet but you both keep it up and drag race to the finish.

So compared to racing willow some heavy winds on the freeway are laughable at best
I dunno, it may not be so dramatic, but when you are riding the fog line (or less than a foot off of it) and you take a gust of wind and you are suddenly inches away from the semi who is passing on your left, you'll realize what it means to pucker so hard you damn near suck the seat up into your ass.

No, I've never done 140 on the highway, but I'll bet you've never run the risk of getting turned into a speed bump by an 80000 pound vehicle on the race track either.

And yes, I know you ride on the street too, I'm not insinuating you don't know what you are talking about or are inexperienced, just... streets can be scary too.

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #105
Plumbernick9
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:

Sounds messy.

Old January 21st, 2013, 06:03 AM   #106
n4mwd

I think the "can't ride a 250 on the freeway" line is just salesman BS when they try to get you to buy a bigger bike when you came in to buy a 250. I have never really had a problem riding on the Interstate. What I worry about most is the other people and not my Ninja being too light. If anyone thinks its too light, then fill your backpack up with fishing weights. That will make you heavier.

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM   #107
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post

Good story. To each their own. You clearly are biased here, so I don't need to tell you anything. I never said a bigger motor in a bike will help with not being blown around by the wind and overall stability, but a bigger bike will.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:56 AM   #108
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Talking

I just finished my msf course last week, then went in last week Friday to the dmv to do the written test for the M1 license. I also had to do a renew class c written test!! I passed both so now I'm good!! I bought a used 17,000 miles Ninja 250r from a seller that was nearby me! Now I just need to replace the front tire, he gave me the new one so just gotta find a shop to replace it and onto more driving....hopefully on the freeway since i need it for commute.
alanmv567 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:16 AM   #109
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmv567 View Post
I just finished my msf course last week, then went in last week Friday to the dmv to do the written test for the M1 license. I also had to do a renew class c written test!! I passed both so now I'm good!! I bought a used 17,000 miles Ninja 250r from a seller that was nearby me! Now I just need to replace the front tire, he gave me the new one so just gotta find a shop to replace it and onto more driving....hopefully on the freeway since i need it for commute.
First of all congrats on your new bike and second we don't drive, we RIDE.
Do you have a stand and tools to remove your front wheel?

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM   #110
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Talking

Quote:
First of all congrats on your new bike and second we don't drive, we RIDE.
Do you have a stand and tools to remove your front wheel?
Haha yes Ride of course, when I say it in person i say ride but forget to type that online, I'm so used to driving a car that its embedded in me! I bought a rear stand for when I adjusted my chain, I will get a front one hopefully tomorrow...but i might use two jack stands temporarily to take the front wheel off and take it to a shop where they can replace and balance. I'm hoping that it does need to be balance since I will be commuting a lot on the freeway. As for tools, I work as part mechanic so I've had tools for about five years now, if there is any missing special tools i need, I'll get them, thanks!

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM   #111
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Quote:
congrats man! i'm jealous ahaha. have fun but ride smart man!

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:17 AM   #112
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
congrats man! i'm jealous ahaha. have fun but ride smart man!
I will for sure ride smart!! thanks

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:47 PM   #113
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Pre gen or new gen? (New gen isn't really accurate anymore. WTF can we call the 08-12 models? Newer gen? lol)

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM   #114
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Pre gen or new gen? (New gen isn't really accurate anymore. WTF can we call the 08-12 models? Newer gen? lol)
Its a 2008 so I believe new gen?

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM   #115
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Its a 2008 so I believe new gen?
Yup, new gen it is! What color? Everything run sound? Was it taken care of?

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM   #116
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yup, new gen it is! What color? Everything run sound? Was it taken care of?
The last guy did say he maintained it but I still won't take my chances and do as much as I can to it. I've worked on my car a lot so working on my bike will be a breeze. It's red (couldn't resist that color!) Everything seems to be running well! I've only had a chance to ride it on the streets every night after work, so far no issues riding it!

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM   #117
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The last guy did say he maintained it but I still won't take my chances and do as much as I can to it. I've worked on my car a lot so working on my bike will be a breeze. It's red (couldn't resist that color!) Everything seems to be running well! I've only had a chance to ride it on the streets every night after work, so far no issues riding it!
Awesome! Just remember everything you learned in MSF, and then remember to forget some things. Because honestly from my experience over the last month, the MSF is good for learning, but not everything applies to the street.

Like always using your back brake with your front brake. Yes 98% of the time it's fine, but there are a few instances I've had where applying the back brake had my rear tire going nuts.

My biggest problem with MSF is that you never get out of second gear and never get over 20-25 MPH. So little things that work really well in the course, are a bit different in the real world.

Also just a nice tip that I always try to remember when following cars, stay far back from them. Especially if you're on a twisty road and they think they're Jackie Stewart. Car drivers love to gun it up until they reach the corner, and then at the apex realize they're going way to fast and slam on the brakes. Works great for them... not so great for us.

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:06 PM   #118
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Awesome! Just remember everything you learned in MSF, and then remember to forget some things. Because honestly from my experience over the last month, the MSF is good for learning, but not everything applies to the street.

Like always using your back brake with your front brake. Yes 98% of the time it's fine, but there are a few instances I've had where applying the back brake had my rear tire going nuts.

My biggest problem with MSF is that you never get out of second gear and never get over 20-25 MPH. So little things that work really well in the course, are a bit different in the real world.

Also just a nice tip that I always try to remember when following cars, stay far back from them. Especially if you're on a twisty road and they think they're Jackie Stewart. Car drivers love to gun it up until they reach the corner, and then at the apex realize they're going way to fast and slam on the brakes. Works great for them... not so great for us.
Great advice man I'll make sure to stay away from cars!! Especially at night. And yeah right now I'm used to using both brakes but noticing that the front is much much better.

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM   #119
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Great advice man I'll make sure to stay away from cars!! Especially at night. And yeah right now I'm used to using both brakes but noticing that the front is much much better.
I was nervous to start riding because I took my MSF back in october, but didn't get my bike until the start of the month. But honestly I think it helped. I was able to really soak in the information that they gave me, but also learn some new tips and techniques from other riders to remember to put to use.

Lot's of great sites for tips, just look for pretty much any post my @Motofool, and there will be link(s) to great sites with great advice! Plus our own members!

Old January 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM   #120
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I was nervous to start riding because I took my MSF back in october, but didn't get my bike until the start of the month. But honestly I think it helped. I was able to really soak in the information that they gave me, but also learn some new tips and techniques from other riders to remember to put to use.

Lot's of great sites for tips, just look for pretty much any post my @Motofool, and there will be link(s) to great sites with great advice! Plus our own members!
I did the MSF last week Sunday, bought the bike on Thursday and got my license on Friday!! All in less than a week haha. I think part of this to rush into a bike was mainly from getting out of a horrible relationship and just wanted to do something awesome for myself. The msf really helped me in getting started on safety and tips and knowing how to ride, later on i will set up cones around my place to practice more on braking and swerving.