Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Question Backpacks + crashing?

So, I wear a backpack when i ride for storage. it's recently come to my attention after watching countless videos of slides across the pavement recently that if i were to take a spill, that backpack is probably gonna catch... meaning i'm probably not going to slide nice and smoothly, but rather get spun and thrashed about like a rag-doll.

so my question is this: have any of you gone down in a soft (fabric) backpack? if so, did you slide? or roll? if you didn't slide, were you wearing leathers that would have made you slide otherwise? (as in- was it the backpacks fault that you didn't slide?)

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I know this doesn't help much but I did a backspin on my shoulder and Ogio backpack. That thing took a good portion of my crash no problem.. with unbroken glass items from my move.
Since it's smooth and strapped on you in four places, it didn't move an inch and slid like a turtle shell I did a ninja turtle break dance move.

I'll get more detailed pictures of what happened to it later.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Is that a hard-backed backpack? the ones with the plastic(esque) cover on the back? i've been considering one of those hardbacks that doubles as a tail bag for this very reason...

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

It's actually leather and textile.
Looks funny at first but when I consider it basically performed as a first defense back protector in my crash.. I'm in love.
It also does not flop around on your back when you ride so you keep having to slip the strap back on your shoulder.

Carries my water and has slots for all my other junk too.
I owe you pics of the damage but here's the one I have..
It's leather and lifetime warranty if it fits your style and price range.
http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-No-Drag-B.../dp/B001BZUYUE

It's more like a "riding pack".. whereas it doesn't carry tons of stuff, but carries all the stuff you need to while riding up to a pair of sneakers with vents for each one and two liters of water, a laptop etc. and does so very organized. I pack like a pack rat so can squeeze tons of stuff in there anyways.

I don't seem to have any problems with it like they say on amazon but everyone is different.

Old March 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

I know you want info on people who crashed with a regular backpack..
but I had a regular $80 Jansport I was using for fishing that looked kinda funny with riding gear on a bike.. and I thought it might catch the ground too or something. I don't think you want to have too much gear strapped to your person while riding anyways or it can become a hazard.

This backpack was a no brainer for me when I saw it in person. It had so much function that somewhat minimal storage space wasn't an issue. Perfect daypack.. pushing it for an overnighter pack for one change of clothes but doable.. Not a weekend pack for two changes of clothes though.

Here is were the seam was a bit frayed from the ground. Not much to speak of..

This was on top of my left shoulder just behind my collar bone.
I have no idea how my helmet did not touch the ground.

Ground clearance without body weight added. Yes it will fold it being leather but it's not as easy as a normal backpack. As you would think from looking at it.

1,2,3 and 4 harness points for security (I dig this feature) and the straps are padded bigtime and have a shock system inside. 5 is a holder for your water bladder tube that exits from the shoulder strap at point 6. 7 is a hole in the other strap coming from the media port in the top rear of the pack for earphones.

Vertical side profile

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6
ninja250
You are sleeping

Well I went that far..

Here's the side that goes against your back. Very well padded

Insides and all the compartments.

I thought it was cool how they suspended the water bladder up off your back from the roof of the pack. This way it doesn't get squished and ruined like in some of my other packs I have had. These pics also do not show the lower zipper below the main pouch for the helmet cover extension thing. I haven't used it yet really.

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #7
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Candy Plasma Blue 250r

I just recently purchased a Ogio NO DRAG...I was wondering about the same thing in the event of a crash. Glad it held up so well. I know OGIO is suppose to have a life time or 30yr warranty. Would they cover crashed/rashed backpacks?
untdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #8
ninja250
You are sleeping

I bet you they would do a 50% replacement if you sent in your old rashed up Ogio after asking nicely for an RMA # through email. They probably want to see stuff like that.

Mine's not ready to be returned yet.
I'm using a regular camelbak bladder. Didn't opt for the Ogio bladder since I had this on hand. No issues to speak of with that.

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #9
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I don't have any experience crashing motorcycles at speed, but the boblbee packs look like they'd hold up and minimize the 'catch and flip you' factor since they're apparently the only backpack that's an approved back protector too.

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #10
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Hmm.. really considering one of that bags seeing I wear a backpack to Uni 5 days a week. But the price, need to save up a little more.

And KC, Ogio should really consider hiring you as a sales person, you did one heck of a job!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #11
riiken
Late Bloomer

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Bikes-less :(

I want that bag now!
riiken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #12
ninja250
You are sleeping

It's really cool when you see it in person. Much cooler than in photos.
I could see how some may not have the tastes for it as well.

I know it's a lot of money for a back pack, but I have always shelled out for good packs. They are my home away from home and need to last me years. Jansports and this here Ogio will do just that.

My old Jansport was actually pretty good for riding for a while too but after 5 years of stuffing it with fishing gear and dragging it through the creeks, it's beat. It also came with a separate mesh bag that straps onto the backpack that I still use for hauling extra stuff on my passenger seat.

No Ogio affiliation.. just really happy with their product right now. In fact the word Ogio is a little weird to me. lol

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM   #13
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Boblbee
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #14
OHzx6r
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

i crashed

I wrecked my last 05 zx6r (ive since bought another cause that one got stolen ) at 90 mph. Had a bookbag on with my dell laptop in it. everything survived. i had a scratch on my leg and a serious case of road rash on my right hand. My icon leather jacket and helmet pretty much saved my life though.
OHzx6r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHzx6r View Post
I wrecked my last 05 zx6r (ive since bought another cause that one got stolen ) at 90 mph. Had a bookbag on with my dell laptop in it. everything survived. i had a scratch on my leg and a serious case of road rash on my right hand. My icon leather jacket and helmet pretty much saved my life though.
Its good to hear that you escaped relatively OK. do you feel that the book bag helped, or caused harm when you went down? was this a single strap "messenger"-type bag?

Old April 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #16
OHzx6r
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Its good to hear that you escaped relatively OK. do you feel that the book bag helped, or caused harm when you went down? was this a single strap "messenger"-type bag?
it was a regular bookbag, an eastpack haha, funny story, my ex girlfriends mom (my ex banned me from buyin a motorcycle) bought me the bag and i still have it. I think it helped honestly. softened the blow. I landed on my right side and then rolled to my back. The back left pocket of my jeans was ripped out. my wallet saved my ass. but the road rash on my hand was what really bothered me. I never ride without gloves.

as a side note i def didnt notice this website was for 250's. cause i have a 636
OHzx6r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #17
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

You are still welcome to stay Byron. There is an ex-ninjetters lair in the forums that may interest you.

Old April 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #18
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I too have a Ogio backpack. Ive never went down with it on, but they are without a doubt the finest made backpacks ever.

Aside from the obvious feature-rich aspects of the Ogio packs, they are also very comfortable, well padded, and use high end materials and stitching. Mine has traveled thousands of miles during business trips, motorcycle rides, and such, and NEVER once let me down. Of the 20 or so packs I use for daily use...the Ogio is the one I pick most often.

I highly recommend them.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #19
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I have had the same backpack model for about 2.5 years. I went through several cheap packs trying to find one that both matched my needs for usability and durability (yeah, sounds stupid, eh? lol). I ended up with a $20 backpack from Walmart. I wore it for two years to school, went hiking with it, used it to carry all my gun gear to the range, etc.

I even crashed my bicycle while wearing it, and it actually took most of the crash. I landed on my butt, bounced onto my back, and stayed that way until I slid to a stop (which was, unfortunately, in middle of one of those concrete "creeks" that run through cities). The pack was holding a laptop and a couple of books, as I was on my way to school. The pack held up perfectly, and probably saved me a good bit of pain and discomfort.

It finally gave out under the jaws of my two dogs, who decided it would be fun to chew up. I bought the same model, but in red this time for a little more visibility over the grey / black color of the old one (they don't come in white ). In the stores they have darkish green, blue, tan, orange, red, black, and purple (IIRC).

It's this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Re...kpack/10928117

BTW, it is NOT water"proof." If you fold down the zipper flaps, it will stand up to a quick jaunt through the rain going to work or whatever. But one day I was out in a pretty good rain for about 45 minutes (had my rain suit on so I was just chillin), and everything inside got wet . For a do-it-all backpack, that would probably be my only real complaint. But then again, it's a $20 backpack that lasted 2 years of daily, not-gentle use, so I can't say much.

In the front pocket I carry my work keys and nametag, a can of Axe, and some little odds and ends like a flashlight and multitool (that look awkward in the pockets of my slacks). In the middle pocket I keep a towel (in a plastic bag), my rain suit, and my state's Concealed Carry laws (in a plastic bag). The biggest pocket is big enough to carry my 17" laptop and a couple of folders and binders, my work clothes if I don't wear them underneath my gear, and a fully-boxed medium pizza. Also 550 rounds of 9mm ammo fits in there, though this was only with extra clothes.

I keep a roll of duct tape in one of the side pockets, as it's just too useful to not keep around :P .

I ride my 250 every day (I don't really have a car for personal use, heh), so the pack basically has to serve as my glove box and trunk, which is does very nicely without getting uncomfortable).

*edit*

Sorry, I don't know how I didn't realize this thread was 6 months old...
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #20
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

^ I got a very similar backpack that I got at Walmart. I purchased it the day I got my bike. I use it almost everyday at school, and I almost never ride without it. A year and a half later my cheap backpack is still holding up great.

Old October 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #21
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

went down doing around 30 with a northface backpack on, slid a good ways and the bag was fine and unless there are things sticking up out of the roadway i don't really see there being any issue
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #22
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

axio's hard shell slide pretty good

Old October 31st, 2010, 12:45 AM   #23
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

http://www.amazon.com/Vega-01-Blue-B.../dp/B002MQAWFI
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2010, 03:01 PM   #24
8gauge
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Limited Edition - R.I.P. 12/2/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I keep a roll of duct tape in one of the side pockets, as it's just too useful to not keep around :P .

I ride my 250 every day (I don't really have a car for personal use, heh), so the pack basically has to serve as my glove box and trunk, which is does very nicely without getting uncomfortable).
Idk about duct tape, but I keep a chamois in my bag. I hate getting on a wet bike and getting all moist in the butt region. As for laptop, I only stick my netbook in there. HP mini210. My gf got me this cool heavy duty plastic pouch that fits fine and really huge ziplock backs from a japanese $1.99 store. I also stick my clear visor in my back and cover it with my helmet bag, incase i get held up at work too long...

Old November 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #25
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Probably a little dangerous, but I just ride home with a 6-pack of bottles, a 1L glass bottle of juice, and a full order of Chinese food in my pack :P .

When all you've got is a bike, you gotta make it work!

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #26
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I get freaked out about riding with a standard backpack on. I am always afraid of something inside poking into me or deeply bruising me if I'd crash. I do wear one from time to time, but I always feel a little less safe. Those metal shell backpacks look like they would do a great job, have thought about them, but $$$.

Usually have an extra visor in my bag, now wouldn't that make some nice and sharp shards on impact? I also carry tools too, like wrenches, maybe I'm just paranoid?
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM   #27
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I get freaked out about riding with a standard backpack on. I am always afraid of something inside poking into me or deeply bruising me if I'd crash. I do wear one from time to time, but I always feel a little less safe. Those metal shell backpacks look like they would do a great job, have thought about them, but $$$.

Usually have an extra visor in my bag, now wouldn't that make some nice and sharp shards on impact? I also carry tools too, like wrenches, maybe I'm just paranoid?
I don't think that's being paranoid. I know someone who broke a rib when he went down at maybe 2mph with an iPod in his jacket pocket. I can't imagine essentially wearing tools/pokey bits.

BTW, just noticed you're from Milwaukee. I grew up in Wauwatosa.

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:13 AM   #28
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I don't think that's being paranoid. I know someone who broke a rib when he went down at maybe 2mph with an iPod in his jacket pocket. I can't imagine essentially wearing tools/pokey bits.

BTW, just noticed you're from Milwaukee. I grew up in Wauwatosa.
Ouch! That sounds like fun. Even at such slow speeds, doing that much damage, wow!

Wauwatosa is great! I actually moved to New Berlin a few months ago, so not Milwaukee city anymore. It's great out here, I like it better than the city.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM   #29
lrentz
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I have been looking for a back pack for awhile now. I have decided on a Ogio backpack, just not which one.
lrentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 06:42 AM   #30
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrentz View Post
I have been looking for a back pack for awhile now. I have decided on a Ogio backpack, just not which one.
I have been using an Ogio No Drag for over three years almost daily and it looks as new as the day I bought it.

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM   #31
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Haven't went down with it but I frequently ride with the Ogio Less Drag.

It is very comfy and secure. The largest compartment that is closest to your back is very padded and has a spot for my laptop with a built in sleeve and strap, the smaller compartment is where I store my lunch, sweatshirt, etc and is bigger in that it's a bit deeper than the other, then there is the small outer compartment that is good for keys/wallet, etc. I have been using this 3-4 days a week since around April and it still looks and works great.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #32
lrentz
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Actually, I have been leaning towards the Ogio Less Drag.
lrentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #33
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

that less drag is nice..especially since the otehr is not available..i ride with my 3 day pack..since i usually carry a bit more than the average person..typically 30-45lbs of stuff.

being that the ogio is smaller and more ergonomic makes it great and leather. must get this for my wife..
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #34
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck View Post
i ride with my 3 day pack..since i usually carry a bit more than the average person..typically 30-45lbs of stuff.
Nice! If you don't mind, what all do you usually carry in your pack, and for what?

The other day I went and visited a friend of mine who is a Police Officer for his birthday. His wife hosted a little shooting day out at their property. You better believe I rolled up with a pistol in each jacket pocket (I have a lisence for that anyways, so I figured 'why not?' :P ) and my rifle case hanging across my chest hooked to my backpack's straps! He just laughed and said I was crazy for all of the above (riding like that, riding when it was cold, etc).

Old December 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #35
ungluck
sleeper

I have multiple sections i use for specific things..my med pouch is well..all bagged and individualized medical/safety/emergency items ie: alcohol pads, clotting materials, gauze, band-aids, antibacterial, syringe, two tourniquets, triple anti-biotic, salt, iodine and some other stuff.in this pouch i also keep scissors and a small knife,flint and some large zipties.

then in my middle pouch,which is chambered and seperated and water tight..i keep bagged items, insurance for bike and car, reg for both, insurance, loaded 30rd mag(hidden), spare empty G19 mag, cleaning kit, camera stuff, pens, markers, small notepad, extra ziplocks and zipties of mutiple sizes. and my spare keys(hidden). if hunting or hiking i'll carry snacks and drink mixes here.

in my very front pouch i keep misc items..just depends..and it varies lol.

in my main section, change of clothes(bagged), laptop(if i need it), my vest, my G19 and work(boxed) and other large stuff. this section also has my insulated bladder carrier, so i have my 3l bladder there usually. i sometimes bag and hide G19 clips here as well.

in my back plate carrier/pouch i keep a thin peice of carbon/kevlar with a supplied 1/4 sapi plate. i keep some important doc's here too.

i have several hiding spots i use as well on the bag that are supplied.

i like to keep my weight consistent in the bag to keep my readied and strong..i have def ridden years ago with a rifle bag on me lol...haven't done it yet recently..haven't needed too lol. not home in Hawaii lol.

the pack is a bit large and i run it tight and high but it still sits on the rear cowl and hampers movement a bit but i'm so used to it i feel naked with out it!!!

sorry for the story lol

i do want to downsize though for daily use.

Old December 12th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #36
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

So you mean like, when going to work (military, I presume, unless you always wear SAPI plates to the office :P ) you wear this pack just to have all your gear? Or do you mean you like carry this stuff when just running errands (just curious) .

I know what you mean about the pack. I always feel naked without mine. Even when going on spirited rides with the friends, with lots of moving around on the bike, I'll still take my pack (but obviously without the laptop and such). I just like the idea of having my rain gear and misc accessories (duct tape, etc) just in case I need it.

I would really like a G19. If I could do it all over again, I'd have bought a G19 or even a 26 instead of my PT92. The Taurus looks great, shoots great, and has never failed me despite being poorly maintained over the last 1500 rounds, but it is a huge brick lol. It would be nice to have to worry a little less about dressing around the weapon.

Old December 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #37
ungluck
sleeper

taurus .45 for 4 years..rounds..wow,can't count.

97-05 1stBN75th then 4thSF till 08..

no office..silent owner at an auto shop, and consultant..about to go to local police academy..i ALWAYS carry...the Sapi is more for peace of mind..it's strong and has multiple uses if i ever find myself in a weird/crazy situation...

i rode a few times last week without a pack and i was like !!!!!!!!!!!! but i had NOTHING on me..i just can't do that lol.

the G19 is a super solid unit, but i asked/am getting an mp45 for xmas... got to test one a couple months ago..i got a few hundred rounds of old school hydrashock waiting for that .45...10+1..in a compact,accurate.light and accurate .45!!?? YES please..

anyway, i typically carry my laptop for car stuff and such. not always..sometimes for weight.

i am liking the ogio stuff, but i just found a timbuk2 bag i like with dual H-straps and is leather/cordura that has some water tight sections and leather covers..i will try to get a link that isn't amazon for it.

a backpack is an extension for a rider..in my mind. very important when riding or in case of emergency.

Old December 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #38
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Hehe, I like being prepared too . It's funny when I pull tools out of my bike to fix some random problem at work or with someone's car, haha. I keep long zip ties (which I've actually used to carry some 3' sections of pipe across my chest once), a bicycle air pump (which I have used when I suddenly realized I had forgotten to check my air pressure in a while), a tire patch kit, and a small towel in the trunk of the bike, along with the tool kit I've pieced together for the bike. Then yeah, the pack comes along because you just never know .

Eventually I might like to upgrade to a nicer pack. But this one I've had is very functional. I'd say extremely, except I really with the side pockets were closed velcro ones, rather than elastic mesh ones . But like I said, $20 and the first one lasted me two years of daily bicycle commuting (and one onto-the-back crash :P), on top of camping and hiking. It was a dang poptart inside that made my dogs kill the first one, heh. Further, I have gotten very much used to working with its layout.

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #39
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Here's a crazy story, hard to believe, but it's true. A family friend was riding and lost control of his bike and went off into the woods. His body was soon stopped and left hanging in the air as he watched his bike smashed into a tree and burst into flames. He survived because his backpack got hooked onto a tree branch pulling him off the bike and suspending him in the air.
jmgrande is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #40
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I get my kids' hand me down backpacks. Saw a nice Honda one, but too much $.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote