Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Xelement denim riding pants

found these today for $40. all the reviews are glowing. couldn't find any post-crash pics, but they look fairly tough, and for the price you almost can't beat it. still doing some research on them but it looks like i'll be buying a few.

anyone have these?

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-C...nts/54743.html

Old May 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
No, I don't have these but like you said at this price You can't beat them. I just ordered a pair. I will let you know how I like them when they come in. I may even post a pic in "Men on bikes rock..."
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
bobguy
ninjette.org member

Name: steve

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I have these in black. I like them A LOT. Although I don't really think they offer much protection. The knee "armor" is just foam padding that slides around alot. It might help a little in crash if you happen to fall on it perfectly but I doubt it offers much else. Overall they do feel a bit tougher than your typical jean material pants...plus the stretchy parts make them really comfy for longer rides. I wear them all the time.

Old May 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Snake

^^^ Thanks for the review. I just ordered a black pair.

Old May 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #5
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

just got mine today.fit is comfortable knee pad useless,better than regular jeans.
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just rode mine home. (i got the blue ones...)

cons:
they kinda look like someone took a normal pair of medium-heavy weight jeans and cut them up and added stretch panels and reinforcements in the ass+knee(+inner calf???)... the kneepads truly are useless... they lasted about 5 seconds before they were replaced with some better ones from an older pair of pants.

pros:
that being said, they're very comfortable, fairly warm in the wind, true to size, they don't "look as flashy" as others like the icon's. (could be a plus or minus depending on your tastes) and they look like they would at least hold up for the first 15-20 feet or so in a slide. (about as much as i could say for most of the denim riding pants i've seen.) though i probably wouldn't trust them if i was planning on riding much over 45mph.

for the price, i'm satisfied.
I might consider buying another pair in black.

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I have a pair of these. Sorry to be a negative opinion on these, especially with everyone buying them, but I find them to be false economy and a false sense of security.

Denim only provides very limited slide protection, most of what I've seen on the web shows 1-3 seconds of grind time, AT BEST. My own personal experience backs that up (1 catastrophic crash long ago, and more recently encountering a rogue man hole cover). That's why the more expensive pants have kevlar panels reinforcing the common slide areas. Once the denim wears away, you're into the tougher reinforcing panels. They've been shown to work. A good pair of more name brand pants, with the CE armor, side padding, and kevlar panels, is only twice the expense of one pair of these. Those of you who want two pairs of these...well, you could have had one pair of a much better product for the same expense....and NOT have to replace the junk knee pads supplied with these pants.

I will note, however, that you're just as likely to loose skin to the pants themselves as everything grinds down on the pavement as you are the pavement itself (ask me how I know!!). I've been down twice in my several decades of riding. The first one I had as much lost skin from the pants as I did the holes where flesh contacted asphault.

As already noted, unless you fall PERFECTLY, the knee protection moves around enough to be almost worthless. Every time I've had them on and moved about (with better kneed pads installed), when I kneel or bend down, the armor always moves off to the sides and/or had to be adjusted to actually be in contact between my knee and the ground. At the very least, change it out with something better from ebay or wherever (CE approved, at the least). This, however, will add to the expense of the pants.

Basic jeans and strap on knee/shin pads provide more protection at a much higher protection level, at the same price.

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Snake

I am still waiting on mine to come in. I bought a black pair. Will post a review when I get them.

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I wonder if these would make my butt look big

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I wonder if these would make my butt look big
From what I hear they keep all your junk in the trunk very secure. So the answer would probably be no...lol