ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Smile Total newb in Nebraska, lots of questions.

Long post, sorry in advance
No bike or Motorcycle license yet, and I have next to no riding experience. About all I've ever done is practice taking off in the driveway on my dads 1600 Harley, which I hated and felt was way to big and for me to control, I'm about 5'7" #150. Mostly I'm nervous about laying it over, and ruining his bike, as well as not being to heavy to be able to get it off of myself if it did. After reading up about beginner bikes around the web, getting insurance quotes, and sitting on several different bikes, I've decided on a Ninja 250 for my first bike, sort of partial to green right now, though purchase is probably a month or so away. I'm signed up to take the Motorcycle Safety Course in a few weeks, and I've started to get together safety gear.
I've gotten most of it at a local dealer that helps with the course, they provide bikes, and Kawasaki lets them use a course at their Nebraska production plant, not sure what they make there, but back on topic. Most of its been based on the dealer's recommendations, what I've gotten so far:
Helmet: Exo:1000, It was on sale, and think I got a great deal on it at the local dealer, but I don't really know much about helmets. Thoughts on the Exo?
Jacket: Castle Turbine Jacket, I like it because i was a fairly lightweight mesh, with an extra zip in liner.
Gloves: Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0
Boots: None of the cycle shops in town seemed to have anything my size. Finally found a pair of Harley-Davidson branded riding boots, but I don't particularly care for them.
Any thoughts on what I have so far? Anything you'd recommend returning or exchanging?
I think I have all the required gear, but what other safety gear would you recommend, that isn't required?

One thing I'm nervous about is every dealer I have been to tells be to go with a bigger bike, and that I can't take it down the Highway. I'd be mostly around town maybe some short 5 mile commutes down the interstate to work, and a longer trip every other month or so. Is the ninjette up to that? Some people I have talked to have made it sound like it'll instantly trash the bike.
Thanks, Jeremy
jnninja250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Welcome Jeremy!
Never listen to dealers (applies to both bikes and cars). They generally work on commission so they're always gonna try to sell a more expensive item. Bigger bikes will costs twice as much as a 250 and insurance rates are insanely higher esp since you're new.
Also, learning on a bigger bike is a lot more dangerous. You will want to get your muscle memory down and be smooth with all your movements before moving up. Most people will own more than one bike in their lifetime so just think of it as your learning bike. If you want a little more power, there's the 500r or Suzuki gs500, but both are not eye appealing in my opinion.
Read this thread about top speed/highway.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...hlight=Highway
I ride on the freeway everyday about 85-95 indicated without issues.
250's are more flickable (turn faster), is lighter, and has great mileage. The only advantage bigger bikes have is better acceleration and higher top speed; both things that a new rider won't be able to use/control wisely. I do prefer my bigger bike on the highway, but my 250 is more than capable of handling it.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #4
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Hello jnninja

Old August 18th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #5
jae.trini
ninjette.org member

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja EX250r

Gear for the most part is good, it is better than nothing that is for sure. Here in SC, helmets are optional, but I am not playing with my life. Go with the 250. It is more than capable to handle the driving conditions you have eluded to. HTH.
jae.trini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #6
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R "Passion Red"

Hi and welcome! You have picked a GREAT forum to join! I am a new rider too and have had many questions.....everyone here is super helpful and so nice! As for your gear and your bike....

A Ninja 250 is a great bike for any travel. In town, highway, leisure....I have done my research, let me tell you! It also seems to fit your frame too. I think that dealerships will tell you whatever they can to sucker that money outta ya!

Now...gear just needs to be well padded and comfortable. As long as you have that...you are GOLDEN!

WeLcOmE to NiNjEtTe!!!!!!
meeshee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #7
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the forum
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #8
kkim

Aloha and welcome, Jeremy.

Smart boy looking for a green bike. They are faster than the other colors... you do now that, don't you?

Even smarter to be taking the MSF course and gearing up properly. With regards to the helmet, buy one that fits your head shape properly and is comfortable. There are differences between manufactures with regard as to what shape heads they fit better.

Want to be even smarter??? Look for a used bike as opposed to buying a brand new one from dealers that want to take as much money from you as possible. The reality is that you will most likely drop your bike within the first year of ownership. Used bikes are cheaper intially, plus they usually have been dropped by the previous owner. Just do your shopping wisely and you'll be able to find a well loved, used bike... even if it might not be green.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #9
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #10
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

welcome from the north
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #12
ricemanjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 05' CBR 1000rr, 00' 748, 07' R6, 03' RS50, 03' GPR50, and now 09' EX250

Welcome!
ricemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #13
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Old August 21st, 2010, 04:10 PM   #14
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black