ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 13th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Rjm1973
ninjette.org member

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, Suzuki volusia

Gas tank mounting tabs

Anybody have a good method for removing the fairing mounting tabs from the gas tank? I've seen some fill with bondo, but wondering if there's a good way to remove without puncturing the tank...looks like they're held on with spot welds? Any suggestions fare appreciated!

Thanks!
Rjm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Are you talking about the blind threaded ones or the tabs that hang down from the bottom seam? The blind threaded ones might come off, but I didn't want to push my luck. I guess you could try grinding carefully and see what happens, but there's a danger of fire or explosion unless you do something like fill the tank with water.

I gently hammered the threaded ones so they were slightly below flush and used filler putty to hide them. There's less than 1/8" of putty in the thickest areas.

I used an angle grinder with a 1mm thick cutoff wheel to remove the one on each side that hung down from the bottom seam.

Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Rjm1973
ninjette.org member

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, Suzuki volusia

Yep -- I'm talking about the threaded ones. So you just essentially hammered them into the tank and then skim coated with filler? Did I understand that correctly? Also great looking bike--is that the factory persimmon red?

Thanks!
Rjm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Yes, that's a good description.

Thanks, the red is Dupli-Color GM Dark Cherry Red lacquer, and I put Spraymax 2K Clear over it. I'm never going to use lacquer again though, it's tricky to spray, and has zero gasoline resistance and next to zero durability, at least before the clear. Urethane or acrylic urethane is the only way to go for me, at least. The Imron I put on my H2's tank 37 years ago doesn't look too bad today.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote