ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #41
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I put the kickstand down and stand next to the bike, left hand on left grip and right hand on the tail. Then I "nudge" the stand handle up with my toe while pulling the bike towards me and a little forward. It rolls off the stand fairly easily and settles on the kickstand nicely. With both hands holding on there isn't much chance the bike will go the wrong way. The lightness of this bike really pays off when you have to work on it or push it in and out of a shed.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #42
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
just prior to lowering the bike after you're down with your work, turn the handlebars fully to the left and be sure the kickstand is down. When you lower the bike from the stand, it will drop to the left onto the kickstand.

I keep my left hand on the tail section as insurance as it drops and use my right to lower the stand.
Thanks. Do you stand behind the bike when lifting and lowering it? I would imagine standing on the right-side (brake side) of the bike would be a good idea for support on the right as you already have support on the left (kick-stand).
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #43
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I put the kickstand down and stand next to the bike, left hand on left grip and right hand on the tail. Then I "nudge" the stand handle up with my toe while pulling the bike towards me and a little forward. It rolls off the stand fairly easily and settles on the kickstand nicely. With both hands holding on there isn't much chance the bike will go the wrong way. The lightness of this bike really pays off when you have to work on it or push it in and out of a shed.
Hmmm. That might work. I'll have to try and see if I can reach all those points with my limbs - I'm a short guy (5"4').

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #44
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
Thanks. Do you stand behind the bike when lifting and lowering it? I would imagine standing on the right-side (brake side) of the bike would be a good idea for support on the right as you already have support on the left (kick-stand).
If you're short just block the wheels on the stands and push the bike off holding the handlebars, with a finger on the brake lever. It doesn't take much effort.
Don't expect the kickstand to stop the bike from going over by itself. It will just pivot on the stand and still go over and the damage will just be higher on the left side. That's why I do everything from the left side where I feel comfortable. The stand is a little added insurance if you do it from the right side, but I think the awkwardness of working from the "wrong" side of the bike is the bigger risk.

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #45
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If you're short just block the wheels on the stands
What do you mean by block the wheels on the stand? Oh and good point on the more damage on the left.

Old December 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #46
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Make sure the kickstand is all the way forward, make sure again just in case, then just pop up the stand with right hand while holding tail section with left hand, and it will gently fall to the left onto the kickstand.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #47
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
What do you mean by block the wheels on the stand? Oh and good point on the more damage on the left.
Chock the wheels of the stand with a small pieces of wood or rocks so they don't roll when you're pushing the bike off the stand. That way you don't have to worry about having 3 hands and you can concentrate on keeping the bike upright.

Old December 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #48
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Chock the wheels of the stand with a small pieces of wood or rocks so they don't roll when you're pushing the bike off the stand. That way you don't have to worry about having 3 hands and you can concentrate on keeping the bike upright.
Ah I getcha. If I don't block the stand wheels, they'd just roll with the bike when I pull it forward from the handle bars.

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #49
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

I have a little experience in this area.... about a million times

Best technique I have found when putting the bike on the stand and taking it off.... is to gently lean the tail of the bike on your left hip as you do the business at the rear of the bike. I don't have side stands on the race bikes, so this technique works really well. It allows you to rest the bike against your hip while you set the stand away from the bike, or grab it and put it into position.

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #50
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
I have a little experience in this area.... about a million times

Best technique I have found when putting the bike on the stand and taking it off.... is to gently lean the tail of the bike on your left hip as you do the business at the rear of the bike. I don't have side stands on the race bikes, so this technique works really well. It allows you to rest the bike against your hip while you set the stand away from the bike, or grab it and put it into position.
Richard, I'm trying to picture this. So basically you have your left hip on the tail by the clutch side of the bike and you are facing outward behind the bike. You then adjust the stands to their spools with your right hand then use your right foot to step on the bike stand handle. That sound right?

Old December 29th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #51
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Wouldn't this work better for us that are lifting the bikes alone? http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/me...le_rear_stands

But how come everyone is using the conventional styled stands?
I have one of these and with the added weight of my 6r i find it is so much easier standing beside the bike instead of behind it.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #52
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Anyone try T-Rex head stand with an EX250J bike? Last time I googled I couldn't get confirmation.
Me me meeeeeee!

I have a set as you pictured, but in silver.

I use my T-Rex stands on all my bikes (even my moped,) the only downside is the fork/triple front stand only includes one pin of your requested size. You choose what size you want, and they ship the stand with it. If you want a variety, I think they charge something like $10 each additional + shipping.

I got a 2006 GSXR pin (most common size works with all my other bikes)... but, coincidentally when inserting the pin into the stand BACKWARDS it is the right size for the EX250J!

Great stands though, I love them!

Also, if you want swingarm spools... Harbor Freight has nice 10mm aluminum ones for $5.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66926

Don't bother with their stand though... junk! LOL.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #53
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

T-Rex stands, BTW.
Not expensive ($109 for both front and rear stands), good quality, made in the US, no worries about cheap-a$$ tools.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=11

Note how much bigger the cradles are than the HF ones...makes lining it up easy.

Just placed an order of T-rex front and rear stands. $109 for both plus $25 for Shipping and handling for a total of $134 but they throw in free spools (only until 1/31/10). Should be here thursday. My landlord let me bring my bike into the back room of the house so now i can actually make use of this miserable new york weather. I'll take some pics of the stands and I'll let you guys know if I had any trouble getting the bike on the stands

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #54
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
so now i can actually make use of this miserable new york weather.
Ha! I'm in Florida and we're looking at snow on Thursday! LOL!

Old January 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #55
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
Me me meeeeeee!

I have a set as you pictured, but in silver.

I use my T-Rex stands on all my bikes (even my moped,) the only downside is the fork/triple front stand only includes one pin of your requested size. You choose what size you want, and they ship the stand with it. If you want a variety, I think they charge something like $10 each additional + shipping.

I got a 2006 GSXR pin (most common size works with all my other bikes)... but, coincidentally when inserting the pin into the stand BACKWARDS it is the right size for the EX250J!

Great stands though, I love them!
Thanks! Now I'm torn between picking the same pins as you because I know it can be made to work vs. finding and picking the right size one.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM   #56
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Forgot to post this when I got my stands, I had to file the spools that came with the t-rex stands. I'll post the pictures later but it was kind of frustrating. I think Someone else had the same issue with the t-rex spools.
Posted via Mobile Device
DarkNinja52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #57
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Look ma, no wheels!

Old February 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #58
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
Look ma, no wheels!

Nice. What are you planning on doing to the bike? Powdercoating the wheels?

Old February 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #59
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

After going through everyone's helpful suggestions here on how to lift the bike, I have come up with the following, which works best for me.

1) Remove the passenger seat/cowl.
2) Set up the bike on its side-stand on top of a 2x4 like Kelly suggested.
3) Stand to the brake side of the bike (exhaust-side) and use your hip as Richard suggested to brace the bike.
4) Take your rear stand and fit it to the spools.
5) Lift the bike with one hand by grabbing on the bar above the taillight while simultaneously pushing down on the rear stand.

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #60
rage42
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Hey all, So I've been using the paddles on my rear stand to lift the bike...but over the winter I bought a front stand, and shogun rear spools.

The rear spool bolts, seem 1 size too big, the holes on the bike are 10mm right? I tried another 10mm bolt, and found an 8mm (knew it was gonna be too small)..I thought maybe the start of the hole was a little warped, but i don't want to force it, and it really seems too big. 9mm bolts don't seem to exist locally.

I also picked up a pit bull front stand, with a #1 pin as their guide stated. When lifting, the front fairing rests on the stand before it'll lift the bike, more than I thought was safe, so I backed off and gave up after a while. This sounds like I have the wrong pin, but I double checked the guide and it looked right. It was still in the dead of winter when I was trying this, and I hate the cold, so I just set it aside for the rest of the winter. I'll call them if I must, but any ideas?

Last futzed with by rage42; March 27th, 2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fixed a word
rage42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #61
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage42 View Post
Hey all, So I've been using the paddles on my rear stand to lift the bike...but over the winter I bought a front stand, and shogun rear spools.

The rear spool bolts, seem 1 size too big, the holes on the bike are 10mm right? I tried another 10mm bolt, and found an 8mm (knew it was gonna be too small)..I thought maybe the start of the hole was a little warped, but i don't want to force it, and it really seems too big. 9mm bolts don't seem to exist locally.

I also picked up a pit bull front stand, with a #1 pin as their guide stated. When lifting, the front fairing rests on the stand before it'll lift the bike, more than I thought was safe, so I backed off and gave up after a while. This sounds like I have the wrong pin, but I doubt checked the guide and it looked right. It was still in the dead of winter when I was trying this, and I hate the cold, so I just set it aside for the rest of the winter. I'll call them if I must, but any ideas?
The spool threads are definately 10mm, they are a bit snug though... I will admit that. Make sure the threads are absolutely clean, and if you have any doubts in the thread quality, chase it with an appropriate-sized tap.

It was smart not to let the bike rest on the fairings. On the front stand pull the pin out, and slip it into the underside of the steering stem on your bike. It should be a rather close fit and shouldn't wobble much at all, but it should slip in and out without any force either. If its loose or really tight, you have the wrong-sized pin.

As far as what # pin you need, I believe that varies across manufacturers.

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #62
rage42
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Thanks for the reply Duck...I ended up using a tap, and cut out a bunch of metal. Kawi's taps must have been worn out that day. Spools are in.

I'm going to be lazy about getting the front stand setup though...probably until fall comes around.
rage42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #63
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage42 View Post
Thanks for the reply Duck...I ended up using a tap, and cut out a bunch of metal. Kawi's taps must have been worn out that day. Spools are in.

I'm going to be lazy about getting the front stand setup though...probably until fall comes around.
Awesome! I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with the holes/threads being unusually tight....

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #64
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Yup, it's not the first time I've heard of it here...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #65
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yup, it's not the first time I've heard of it here...
My SV650 holes were the opposite, they looked bigger than they were, and an 8mm bolt didn't grab ine one of the holes when threading in, and 10mm was too big, too. I think someone mangled the holes in it... the bike is rebuilt salvage from a trailer park. I drilled the holes out and re-tapped them for 10mm and put the same spools on as my 250.

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #66
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I've only used my stand (s) on the rear wheel so far but as soon as it came out of the box I realized that stands that lift the front by the fork legs....doesn't look like they be much help removing the front wheel...or doing any work on the forks... maybe I'm missing something ? Or did i just buy the wrong stands?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #67
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I've learned that you should never get over confident when lifting the bike, just like with riding it. I usually put the sidestand on a block of wood to get it almost upright before I lift it, but the last time I thought I would be slick, and when I started picking it up the right spool was not lined up the the hook on the stand and I almost put the bike on its side. So guys/gals don't get cocky with the rear stand.

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #68
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
I've only used my stand (s) on the rear wheel so far but as soon as it came out of the box I realized that stands that lift the front by the fork legs....doesn't look like they be much help removing the front wheel...or doing any work on the forks... maybe I'm missing something ? Or did i just buy the wrong stands?
Post pics and lets see.

Old March 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #69
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Looks just like the t-rex stands earlier in the thread
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM   #70
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i was so excited that i was able to put the bike up, and take it off the rear stand by myself...until i turned the front wheel straight to put on rimstripes...and forgot to turn it before i put the bike down.....ooops...my first thought as it hit the ground...yeah, i'm just awesome like that
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #71
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

What size pin for lifting by the head/triple tree? I need to specify! Not all stands have an assortment.

Old December 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #72
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13

Useful thread.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #73
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Yes. Very useful thread. I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with the Haul-Masters...I love the price!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #74
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Yes. Very useful thread. I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with the Haul-Masters...I love the price!
The low-profile aluminum one works well with 10mm spools but not with the optional paddle adapters. It can only lift the rear tire with paddles if lifted from the very tip unless you flip them upside-down, which is pretty precarious (does not cradle the swingarm). Too bad Cycle Gear will try to charge you $25-35 for some 10mm spools. You can just use 10mm bolts from Ace Hardware if you just want to lift it. You might be able to find some cheap chrome spools at Harbor Freight, but they went on clearance a long time ago and you'd be pretty lucky.

The larger tubular swingarm stand that they sell with paddles works well except that there is no good place to put the paddles on a current-gen (paddles can block axle removal, spool mounts interfere with placing the paddles further back, stock muffler interferes with placing them even further back, etc. It *can* work easy enough, but the spools are a lot less frustrating. You might be able to find the front fork adapter to justify this but they went on clearance a long time ago and you'd be similarly lucky to find them.

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #75
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The low-profile aluminum one works well with 10mm spools but not with the optional paddle adapters. It can only lift the rear tire with paddles if lifted from the very tip unless you flip them upside-down, which is pretty precarious (does not cradle the swingarm). Too bad Cycle Gear will try to charge you $25-35 for some 10mm spools. You can just use 10mm bolts from Ace Hardware if you just want to lift it. You might be able to find some cheap chrome spools at Harbor Freight, but they went on clearance a long time ago and you'd be pretty lucky.

The larger tubular swingarm stand that they sell with paddles works well except that there is no good place to put the paddles on a current-gen (paddles can block axle removal, spool mounts interfere with placing the paddles further back, stock muffler interferes with placing them even further back, etc. It *can* work easy enough, but the spools are a lot less frustrating. You might be able to find the front fork adapter to justify this but they went on clearance a long time ago and you'd be similarly lucky to find them.
Excellent info. Thanks! I bot the Aluminum Haul Master tonight. Found that it didn't have the spool adapters with it at all! I'm going to have to return it to get a box that includes that.

Great idea on the bolts. Much less expensive. I already bought spools. I'm thinking that I may want to leave it on the stand all the time. Spools permanently on the bike would make it far easier to do that...

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #76
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Excellent info. Thanks! I bot the Aluminum Haul Master tonight. Found that it didn't have the spool adapters with it at all! I'm going to have to return it to get a box that includes that.

Great idea on the bolts. Much less expensive. I already bought spools. I'm thinking that I may want to leave it on the stand all the time. Spools permanently on the bike would make it far easier to do that...
So the stand didn't include anything to hold the bike? The low-profile aluminum one is supposed to include those little forks that interface with the spools. Yeah, definitely make sure to get one that includes that. I have one new in the box that I haven't opened so I need to make sure it has them as well.

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 16th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #77
250rr

Yes, you may want to. There was a box opened on in the store and it had the forks. So I just assumed that the unopened box would as well. Oops. I'll take it back tomorrow.

Old April 21st, 2018, 02:24 AM   #78
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
blairs stand

this works great. lifts up bike from frame holes using a dual pin adapter plate.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2018, 02:27 AM   #79
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
blairs stands

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=310412

Old April 21st, 2018, 02:16 PM   #80
SV Racing Parts
ninjette.org member

Name: Blair

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Thumbs up Black Custom Side Lift Stands for Ninja 250/300R Models

Thanks Mike. SV Racing Parts for the Win Image with both your Front End and Rear Wheel off of your Ninja at the same time. What a great photo of the SVRP Black Custom Side Lift Stand.

They are close to sold out but I do have several left here in stock now,

Enjoy the ride, and Very best regards to All,
Blair
SV Racing Parts is offline   Reply With Quote