ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #1
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Oil change - forgot metal washer - help?

I did my own oil change today - I forgot to reuse the flat metal washer that goes at the bottom of the oil filter - only metal washer that goes over the filter bolt just under the filter.
I read somewhere that forgetting the washer could allow for the spring to push against the filter, making it less effective?

I plan on changing my oil frequently - can the washer not be used until the next time I do an oil change without causing problems?

This is a typical noob mistake, but I don't want to cause myself more problems in the future to save a new oil change.

If i don't replace the washer, will the filter fail?

If I replace the filter washer - will all the new oil drain out and will the filter be ruined?

I did not use a torque wrench, but I was careful and added minimal pressure when tightening the filter bolt.

Thanks for the help....

Last futzed with by austexjg; October 14th, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I did my own oil change today - I forgot to reuse the flat metal washer that goes at the bottom of the oil filter - only metal washer that goes over the filter bolt just under the filter.
I read somewhere that forgetting the washer could allow for the spring to push against the filter, making it less effective?
Good for you. Step one was trying it, step two now is learning from the mistake. Weather it is changing oil, getting naked, or major work get in the habit of laying parts out as you take them off. You will be less likely to forget something.

Quote:
I plan on changing my oil frequently - can the washer not be used until the next time I do an oil change without causing problems? If i don't replace the washer, will the filter fail?
You should be OK especially if you put a decent filter in (has some structural integrity and not a roll of toilet paper). My first Ninja was a pre-gen I bought used and I changed the oil right way and found that washer missing. Who knows how many miles and oil changes it had been among the missing.

Quote:
If I replace the filter washer - will all the new oil drain out and will the filter be ruined?
To replace that washer you have to take the filter our and you will dump all the oil. The chances of picking up some contamination if you try to reuse the oil just aren't worth it.

You don't indicate if this is a brand new bike, bought used with xx miles or what so hard to have a feel for when you would be changing oil again.

Quote:
I did not use a torque wrench, but I was careful and added minimal pressure when tightening the filter bolt.
Before you ride again check for any leakage just to be sure. Then, before you change oil again get yourself a basic torque wrench. Especially if you plan on doing many DIYs or your own maintenance.

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #3
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Hey John,
I would drain the oil out, put the filter assembly back together with the washer. The filter should be fine. Now here comes the question to use the oil again or not? I am sure you will get lots of reuse and lots of dont reuse opinions. For the cost of 2 quarts i would put new oil. To save the cost you could drain the oil into a brand new pan that has never had dirty oil in it. I just think to get that drain pan totally clean of any little metal bits or dirt would be tough.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #4
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

I bought the bike with 1450 miles - I changed the oil becuase it had not been done at 500 miles (per manual) - I used factory filter from Kawasaki dealer and Royal Purple 10w-40 motor oil - I plan on Mobil 1 next time

I plan on doing oil changes regularly, will buy a torque wrench before next oil change.

Aside from leaks, what else should I keep an eye on?

Old October 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #5
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Do you have an oil leak from the filter housing? If not, wait until your next oil change. If you are worried, you can drain the oil, replace the washer, and reuse the filter. DO NOT REUSE THE OIL. NOTE: There is no way you're going to crush the filter, unless you can break the outer plate that the bolt goes thru!!!!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #6
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

I decided to do "the right thing" and pull out the oil filter and replace the washer I forgot. I did not lose that much oil - but then again the oil line was closer to the top line on the gauge, so this may have been the best thing overall. My mind would not stop thinking about it and since it was raining anyway, I decided to get dirty again. It took less than a minute to correct the rookie mistake - it will never happen again - and now my brother can do his the right way the first time, if he learns from my mistake.

Thank for all the input...

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #8
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
I decided to do "the right thing" and pull out the oil filter and replace the washer I forgot. I did not lose that much oil - but then again the oil line was closer to the top line on the gauge, so this may have been the best thing overall. My mind would not stop thinking about it and since it was raining anyway, I decided to get dirty again. It took less than a minute to correct the rookie mistake - it will never happen again - and now my brother can do his the right way the first time, if he learns from my mistake.

Thank for all the input...
You did the right thing. Confidence is important when riding a bike and if you were gonna have worries about oil leaking, or any other problem stemming from the missing washer, fixing it and putting your mind at ease was the best choice.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
You did the right thing. Confidence is important when riding a bike and if you were gonna have worries about oil leaking, or any other problem stemming from the missing washer, fixing it and putting your mind at ease was the best choice.
agreed - i would have been thinking about it constantly whether it really mattered or not. now its out of your mind and you can focus on enjoying the ride.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #10
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Now if the sun would come out - I want to ride - I have only put 80 miles on it, after a search that lasted weeks. But here in Central Texas, we need the rain BAD....

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #11
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
I decided to do "the right thing" and pull out the oil filter and replace the washer I forgot....

That little voice is a pain in the butt sometimes...... Nag, Nag, Nag.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #12
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

And it sounds just like Mom....

Old October 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Did you use Royal Purple car oil? If so it contains Molybdenum Disulfide, im not so sure if that should be used with a wet clutch or not, i would definitely look into that. I also would not go with very long drain intervals with Royal Purple as that moly can come out of suspension and clump up.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #14
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

I called Royal Purple - talked to a guy in the tech dept. - he stated that RP is wet clutch compatible - includes the regular synthetic and Cycle Max. Guy seemed to be truthful, but how soon should I change oils before problems happen? Do you know from experience or read on a forum, because I think the formula changed to be wet clutch compatible? I don't want to ruin my bike because of a simple oil change. Thanks for the heads up...

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #15
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
I called Royal Purple - talked to a guy in the tech dept. - he stated that RP is wet clutch compatible - includes the regular synthetic and Cycle Max. Guy seemed to be truthful, but how soon should I change oils before problems happen? Do you know from experience or read on a forum, because I think the formula changed to be wet clutch compatible? I don't want to ruin my bike because of a simple oil change. Thanks for the heads up...
I don't have any experience with it, im just going by what ive read on the internet, in someone with RP says its okay you should be good to go, I still would not go for more than 3k before changing your oil.

I don't mean to spread any misinformation, just figured id give you a heads up, but I would trust RP before trusting the random babble ive read on the internet about it.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #16
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Does it have "Energy Conserve" in the lower circle on the container? If so, it should NOT be used in the bike engine!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #17
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

The SAE circle ahs these abbrev. :
AP/SERVICE
CG-4
CH-4
CI-4SL

Cannot find the words "energy conserve" on the container?

Old October 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
It'd be hard to miss. The words would appear in the circular graphic that tells you the service grade.

Like this:

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #19
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

No - that is not what the label on the bottle looks like - thanks for the photo.

Old October 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #20
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

So you didn't trust us over at KF, or just doin' more homework?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #21
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Just doing homework - information hoarder....

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #22
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I read your thread over there too... I think this one was more helpful
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #23
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I read your thread over there too... I think this one was more helpful
As always

Just stick around here and you'll be fine.

I used to live over there, until Kelly invited me over here. Now I live here and visit there once a month or so. It was kind of weird that I even saw your origional thread over there.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote