akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Where there's one, there's often 2

Link to original page on YouTube.

Some things I think he could have done differently to avoid that situation:

1. I think his speed was too fast for those conditions. It's foreseeable that there could be pedestrians around or cars suddenly pulling out.

Failing that...

2. He witnessed the first child run out far ahead of him. He should have then immediately reduced his speed to account for the eventuality that more children would run out (a reasonable assumption).

Failing that...

3. A child is now running out on a collision course with him. He had very little time to react. The optimal decision I can see would have been to hard steer away from the child towards his right and then applied hard braking. To be able to do this, you have to be practised at emergency hard steering. You need to have programmed it into your body.

Videos always make it hard to judge distance and speed. If there in-fact was no time and space to steer away, I always fall back on emergency braking so the impact force of a collision is reduced. I shave off as much speed as possible as quick as possible. Again this requires that you are well practised at braking and your brakes are properly maintained. You can improve upon the situation by always having your front brake lever covered. However, it's essential that you have trained yourself not to suddenly snap the brake lever closed when you need to stop quickly.

Old December 6th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Common....

Simply put, when you see one kid run across that is enough to adjust your riding. imho, this was 100% avoidable AND unacceptable. Kids are like deer, there is almost always more than one, and they will do exactly what you don't expect them to.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

c'mon man, its a parking lot
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Simply put, when you see one kid run across that is enough to adjust your riding. imho, this was 100% avoidable AND unacceptable.
Because this is seemingly so simple & obvious, it makes me wonder if he wasn't concentrating and his distracted-autopilot was in charge. It's something that probably most of us do sometimes. I made a rule for myself quite a while back that I would never drink any alcohol and then ride (not a drop) and I would try to avoid riding at all if I didn't feel fully awake, alert and generally fully functioning.

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Wide-angle lens makes video look a lot faster than actual.

But yeah, once that 1st kid pops out, you should slow to crawling speed.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
He was going way too fast for a parking lot, even without the obvious activity going on.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
That's hard to watch...

As noted - no reason to accelerate that hard and shift up like it's a frickin' entrance ramp or something.

It's a parking lot - limited visibility and a huge possibility that something is going to cross your path unexpectedly. Could have easily been a car backing out and he would have punched it pretty hard.

Hopefully the kid was OK.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote