ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 25th, 2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Darksik
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 99' Suzuki Katana 600 (RIP)

Too much air to the carbs?

Hi guys, I previously commented that I had a problem with my ninja, since I removed a piece of paper that obstructed a hole in the snorkel, the motorcycle made many explosions and i need to open more the throtle, I thought that the spark plugs could be dirty with oil, I changed the spark plugs and I put a K & N filter thinking that could be that problem, I put the piece of paper back to the snorkel and the motorcycle accelerated better, as before removing the piece of paper, the mechanic said that maybe the carburetors are not calibrated
Darksik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Well many people here are more knowledge than I with respect to engines, but it sounds to me like you're running way too lean. Probably need to clean the carbs, unless they've been rejetted to be too lean.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 25th, 2019, 10:22 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yup, clogged carbs need complete removal, disassembly, and thorough cleaning.

Related threads:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=330960
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=322846
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321223
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317977
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317810
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=316395
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315193
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280658
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2019, 08:38 AM   #4
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
@Darksik -

As you are running a factory airbox, its safe to say you've got optimum air flow, pressures, etc....as dictated by airbox capacity and configuration to work in conjunction with the supplied CV carbs. I'd tend to trust the capabilities of those Kawasaki design engineers, tasked with meeting emissions standards, performance, fuel consumption and within economical goals. I'll go on record stating they did a pretty darn good job.

As Kawasaki sold a ton of 250's worldwide over a long production period....i'd further commend them with a corporate "mission accomplished!".

That said, you HAVE received valid info above by members @Ralgha and @DannoXYZ on needing to fully review fuel delivery and carburetor function and cleanliness.

As the airbox is (basically) a fixed entity...the fuel system (carbs) are, in fact, prone to negative influences.... restriction, maladjustment, weather, effects of poor fuel.... on and on.

Get the paper out of the airbox, properly clean and adjust them carbs and RIDE!
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Darksik
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
@Darksik -

As you are running a factory airbox, its safe to say you've got optimum air flow, pressures, etc....as dictated by airbox capacity and configuration to work in conjunction with the supplied CV carbs. I'd tend to trust the capabilities of those Kawasaki design engineers, tasked with meeting emissions standards, performance, fuel consumption and within economical goals. I'll go on record stating they did a pretty darn good job.

As Kawasaki sold a ton of 250's worldwide over a long production period....i'd further commend them with a corporate "mission accomplished!".

That said, you HAVE received valid info by members on needing to fully review fuel delivery and carburetor function and cleanliness.

As the airbox is (basically) a fixed entity...the fuel system (carbs) are, in fact, prone to negative influences.... restriction, maladjustment, weather, effects of poor fuel.... on and on.

Get the paper out of the airbox, properly clean and adjust them carbs and RIDE!
About that theme of adhust the carbs is to move the "carb sync adjuster screw"?

Old March 1st, 2019, 09:21 AM   #6
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
amongst many other tasks involved, yes.

Urge you to NOT experiment with synch, until the carbs are truly cleaned first. Don't do an "end run".
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2019, 01:05 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksik View Post
About that theme of adhust the carbs is to move the "carb sync adjuster screw"?
That's the one part you don't want to touch. Leave that alone. But disassemble down to these parts and clean each one well.

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Darksik
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
That's the one part you don't want to touch. Leave that alone. But disassemble down to these parts and clean each one well.
The mechanic told me the problem was the diaphragms, he told me by telephone, the diaphragms were bad installed also one piece of the diaphragm was cut, i don't know how