Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Looking to get a 250r

I've been wanting one since my senior year of high school but just never got one. Went and looked at a 2010 lime/white/black one at the local House of Cycles back then and still kind of want that one. I am open to getting a new or used as long as it's a 2010 or newer. Any advice on where a good place to start and about how much I'll be spending is appreciated also any other advice or tips you guys want to give me is welcome, you guys are the everyday riders and I'm the newb.
Paracord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Matt!

Your local craigslist is where I would start. The LA riders should be able to give you an idea about prices in your area. I would guess $3k+ for a used 2010.

If you haven't already gear up, take the msf, ride safe and don't forget to have fun!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Hi Matt,

I would agree that you should take the MSF before buying a bike. I know of too many that buy a 250 and crash it and then don't want to ride again. Of course if you get that shiny awesome looking bike that you wanted and crash it, you will be extremely. I would definitely go the MSF route and if you still think riding is for you then you will pursue the shiny bike you wanted. From a pure financial perspective, paying 400 for the MSF course is cheaper than paying 3k and then selling it after it has lost it's value due to a crash. From a safe pespective, the MSF course is also highly recommended. Welcome to the forum by the way.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys, so I'm guessing that they have bikes for you to use when taking the MSF course? Last I heard about a safety course you had to have your own bike first? Also will the instructors work with me, I've never even rode a bike before so I can honestly say I have no idea what to do haha.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:30 AM   #5
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Yes, they have bikes for you to abuse, I mean learn on. The ones that require you to have your own bike are usually cheaper and require you to already have a permit.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Paracord
ninjette.org member

I think I'd do more than abuse it, I would probably destroy it but I guess your right it would be better than destroying my own bike trying to learn.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #7
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracord View Post
I think I'd do more than abuse it, I would probably destroy it but I guess your right it would be better than destroying my own bike trying to learn.
Better to destroy someone elses bike than yours right? And you don't even have to pay more than the 400 or whatever they charge in your area if you destroy their bike. Imagine how much your bike would depreciate if you crashed it...much more than 400.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Yea that sounds better although I'd definitely feel bad about crashing someone else's bike lol. It looks like they have quite a few of those classes in my area so I'll talk to them about it. Thanks for the input on that. Hopefully I'll be able to find a bike that I like and take that course in the meantime so that I feel more comfortable about it.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Thanks

Old February 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Went to the dealership today and looked at the 2012 black/yellow SE Ninja 250R today and was pretty impressed. I loved the feel of the bike but wasn't sure about the color. They will be getting the green one in a few weeks. I was also pretty surprised by the price, last one I looked at was the 2010 and it was $3500 and the 2012 was $4500. That's a pretty big increase over just the last 2 years. I admit I had no idea how to even approach getting on the bike but once I got that out of the way it was nice to just get a feel for sitting on the bike. It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be as well.

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #12
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be as well.
That was my first impression of the 250 as well. Might have something to do that I'm a pretty small guy, or the fact that I learned how to ride on dirt bikes.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #13
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

why 2010+?

08+ are the new body style.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Idk just not sure if I want one as old as an 08 I guess. If the price and condition was right I'd take it though. I'm a small guy as well so you could be right on why it looks big to us. Also I saw a dirt bike in there that was as big as me.

Old February 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #15
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

08 old?

I guess we all have different opinions of old....

Old February 24th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Idk just not sure if I want one as old as an 08 I guess. If the price and condition was right I'd take it though. I'm a small guy as well so you could be right on why it looks big to us. Also I saw a dirt bike in there that was as big as me.
I bought mine, a 2011 2 weeks ago. I was thinking the same as you wanted a 10 or 11 and my primary reason was resale. Most new riders like you and I buying our first bike want a new model because we know nothing about taking care of a bike and we assume that a newer model will have less problems. This is how I would look at it if I were you:

If your plan is to keep the bike for a while then buy any 08 or later (if you prefer the new gen styling) in your price range which has been well cared for. A well maintained 08 is a much better drive than a subpar 2011 and the only noticeable difference is the stock exhaust which many people end up changing anyway.

If you plan to keep it for a short time and possible upgrade soon after, then buy an 08+ at or less than its market value and you should be okay. Make sure you get a bike as close to stock as possible because most new buyers will prefer stock, and many of the mods done by the owner may not be right for you. Not that the condition doesn't matter, but these bikes hold their value so well that if you get a below market deal you could possibly sell it at the same price or above because these bikes hold their value so well.

Just my opinion. Good luck.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #17
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

looking at 2-4k used

5k OTD new... Gas is sky rocketing so good luck finding a deal....

Old March 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #18
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Believe me on this, you probably don't want a brand new one. Imagine if you rode it for about 3 months and then realize you want to upgrade. Now you will have to sell it and maybe take a bigger loss on it than you hoped(say 1k). The break-in period is probably something you don't want to deal with either. Here is another reason to buy used: if you dropped the bike you won't hate yourself AS bad because there were scratches on it to begin with. I bought an 09 back in March of 2011 and it only had 1500 miles on it. 1500 miles is nothing and I saved at least a couple of thousand going used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post

If you plan to keep it for a short time and possible upgrade soon after, then buy an 08+ at or less than its market value and you should be okay. Make sure you get a bike as close to stock as possible because most new buyers will prefer stock, and many of the mods done by the owner may not be right for you. Not that the condition doesn't matter, but these bikes hold their value so well that if you get a below market deal you could possibly sell it at the same price or above because these bikes hold their value so well.

Just my opinion. Good luck.
To add to what BlackNinja8 said:
Don't go modding your bike until you have put at least 2k of your own miles on it. If you go and spend all this money modding it and then 2 months down the road you decide to sell, you will lose money. This is a beginner's bike so a beginner doesn't believe in spending 5k on a used 250 when they can buy a new one for that price. Would you spend 5k on a used 09 ninja 250? After putting 2k+ miles and you decide that you like your bike and don't intend on selling in the near future, then that is when you should start making mods. The exception to the rule is if you need to lower the bike which is a must for those with short inseams. This is my opinion from a purely financial point of view.

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Get a used bike, one that's been pre-dropped and is cheap, even a pre-gen. Why? Because as a new rider you need to focus on learning how to ride in the real world more than anything else, anything else. Your chances of dropping the bike due to a simple mistake are virtually 100% in your first year, whether it be in the driveway or out on the road. By starting on something cheap and with no emotional investment in it looking perfect, you free your mind up to concentrate on the most important thing: Learning how to ride.

I've seen way to many new riders oh so proud about their first spanking new perfect bike, only to post a few months later about how they wrecked some way or another and watched a thousand or two dollars scatter across the pavement in broken plastic.

First year: Learn how to survive. Not look flashy and spiffy, not be oh so fashion perfect, not be way cool "look at me and my shiny new bike".

There are no shortcuts, you aren't the exception (very few people are the exception, that's why they're called "exceptions") and looking cool until your first drop is, well, pointless.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #20
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Great advice from FrugalNinja, sigh , in my over 40 years of riding of I've bought only one new bike ( a 2 year holdover discounted to $ 1199 from $2899 ). All the rest were used in varying conditions from excellent to parts bikes. What they all had in common was they were great bargains.
There are lots of motorcycles out there with very low miles that can be acquired at low cost that would serve the beginning motorcyclist much better than a new or near new bike. Definitely take the MSF course first.
My 2 cents worth.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #21
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Get a used bike, one that's been pre-dropped and is cheap, even a pre-gen. Why? Because as a new rider you need to focus on learning how to ride in the real world more than anything else, anything else. Your chances of dropping the bike due to a simple mistake are virtually 100% in your first year, whether it be in the driveway or out on the road. By starting on something cheap and with no emotional investment in it looking perfect, you free your mind up to concentrate on the most important thing: Learning how to ride.

I've seen way to many new riders oh so proud about their first spanking new perfect bike, only to post a few months later about how they wrecked some way or another and watched a thousand or two dollars scatter across the pavement in broken plastic.

First year: Learn how to survive. Not look flashy and spiffy, not be oh so fashion perfect, not be way cool "look at me and my shiny new bike".

There are no shortcuts, you aren't the exception (very few people are the exception, that's why they're called "exceptions") and looking cool until your first drop is, well, pointless.

HERE! HERE! Plus you can pay MSF trainers to work with you one as one and in some states it's even cheaper going that route over taking the class.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #22
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Where i am you can get 07's, or the last original models, for $2500 tops. And these are bikes with 5k miles or so, then the owner moved up. Most everyone moves up down here. Once you hit 08 and newer it's $3500 bare minimum regardless of miles and condition.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #23
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

Didnt read all the replies.

Just make sure you keep in mind the extra money you will need after you purchase the bike. Gear, insurance, inspections, etc.

Ride safe!