ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Talking Nothing like getting kicked out for buying a Ninja

Well you all know how my weekend went now haha. None the less I'm happy with my bike. Good thing a friend of mine was looking for another roommate. I've posted several threads on here already but no new member intro yet so what could be a better one than this.
Paracord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to General?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Asked why they ride, motorcyclists usually use the phrase "My motorcycle sets me free" ...your case couldn't be any more deserving of that particular phrase
Nice thing you have a place to crash, but try and find a way to reconcile ... I tried moving away once lol...needless to say it didn't work out. Nothing like taking advantage of the folks 'till you're ready to stand on your own, bruh.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
forget about your woes with a nice ride on your new ninja

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Yea maybe I'll get lucky and can move back in but right now everyone in my family is extremely pissed and said I'd have to sell it if I wanted to live anywhere where they had control.

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
First one on this ship, but is a $3000 motorcycle really worth a giant disconnect with your family? I mean my parents are thankfully just fine with my ninja, but my grandmother was a PT and is completely NOT ok with it, so I respect her dislike of it by just not riding it to her house when I visit her. I don't want to make her upset at me because I enjoy spending time with her.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Some people just get too bent out of shape over bikes..sounds like my mother-in-law. i told her deal with it!
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Yea it's not really like a bad disconnect though, I mean it's not like it's going to cause major problems. They just won't allow me to live with them while I have it because of the whole your going to die thing.

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm lucky to have a family where everyone just doesn't care! My parents care...not others. I hope you do okay! Reconnect with your family though. They'll get over it.

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Paracord
ninjette.org member

It's not even just the motorcycle, they are so over protective that they have pretty much shut down everything I've wanted to do so if anything else this at least got my ass a little freedom and showed them that even though I listen to most of what they say there are some things that I just want to do and learn on my own.

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #11
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I don't get why parents kick kids out for stuff. I thought they're supposed to support your decisions. I understand it's dangerous, but has kicking you out stopped you. No. My point? A bunch of drama, for no reason.

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #12
raybolic
ninjette.org member

Name: Rei

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracord View Post
It's not even just the motorcycle, they are so over protective that they have pretty much shut down everything I've wanted to do so if anything else this at least got my ass a little freedom and showed them that even though I listen to most of what they say there are some things that I just want to do and learn on my own.
That sucks.. but I also agree with some other posters here. Stay til you're ready to be on your own and respect while you're under their roof.
raybolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Yep, I knew they would do it too, my dad told me if I got one I'd either have to sell it or not live anywhere that he could control it. It also called me an F'n idiot and asked if I lost my mind haha

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #14
raybolic
ninjette.org member

Name: Rei

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I don't get why parents kick kids out for stuff. I thought they're supposed to support your decisions. I understand it's dangerous, but has kicking you out stopped you. No. My point? A bunch of drama, for no reason.
Perhaps this time they're being this extreme to prove a point. Riding a motorcycle is extremely dangerous compared to cages.. a bump from the back of another car can be fatal compared to just a paint scratch (if any) on a car.
raybolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybolic View Post
Perhaps this time they're being this extreme to prove a point. Riding a motorcycle is extremely dangerous compared to cages.. a bump from the back of another car can be fatal compared to just a paint scratch (if any) on a car.
I know. I understand where they coming from. I just don't completely approve. If anything, he should stay home, and try to be convinced by his parents to stop riding.

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

While i was living under my oarents roof, my mom said i absolutely could not own a motorcycle, but my dad did not care. He just wants me to use propper gear and be safe. So i bought some gear and occasionally rode my friends pregen. Fast forward 6 years...my brother and i live on our own in an apt and have bikes. Its been almost a year since and they have no clue about this. Well, we tried to introduce the idea about owning motorcycles and my mom pretty much flipped. I know she is just worried for our safety, but she said as long as we live under THEIR roof we cant own bikes. So, till this day they still dont know. Kinda feel guilty for hiding something for so long, but i rather not give her a heart attack and just wait till she is ready.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #17
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Well you all know how my weekend went now haha.
Not really. Backstory?

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #18
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

A lot of people are very scared of motorcycles. Seems like this is the case here. However, if I couldn't stop my kid from riding a motorcycle, I would want to spend as much time with them as possible and even buy them some gear or something :P

PS: Goodluck with everything!
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
While i was living under my oarents roof, my mom said i absolutely could not own a motorcycle, but my dad did not care. He just wants me to use propper gear and be safe. So i bought some gear and occasionally rode my friends pregen. Fast forward 6 years...my brother and i live on our own in an apt and have bikes. Its been almost a year since and they have no clue about this. Well, we tried to introduce the idea about owning motorcycles and my mom pretty much flipped. I know she is just worried for our safety, but she said as long as we live under THEIR roof we cant own bikes. So, till this day they still dont know. Kinda feel guilty for hiding something for so long, but i rather not give her a heart attack and just wait till she is ready.
Tell them. If you get in an accident, and they call your mom, she'll really have a heart attack.

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

I kind of feel you on the over protected part. My parents feel like they still have control of my life, I'm 23 and yes I'm still at home. As much as I dislike it, that's how my culture is and well I'm a chick so I guess they feel like they need to protect me more. But this is how my cousins have been brought up and how their parents (and mine) were brought up too. They have let up a lot, I do what I want now but I do listen to them and then I tell them why I hate their ideas haha, as long as they know where I'm at and I'm sleeping at home then there's no big deal.

I think the reason I got away with a motorcycle was because they thought I was joking. They've seen me ride and noticed how careful I am and all my gear and I think that helped them cope with it a lot. They also see how happy I am on days I can ride and I'm sure that helps too. You're parents will definitely come around, give it time and talked to them about it, how it makes you happy and what your gear does to keep you safe.
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #21
Paracord
ninjette.org member

What more details would you like? The argument and everything else? I mean I got a bike and they kicked me out for it haha

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #22
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I'v never understood the argument from the parents side of kicking their children out for doing something they disagree with. Now I understand that your living under their roof so it's their rules. But if their reason for kicking you out is because they don't want you to get hurt? How exactly is kicking you out going to prevent that? If anything they should let you stay their and try to educate you on all of the dangers, and when that fails. I'd expect my parents to support me, if they didn't well then I'd voluntarily leave. (I moved out when I was 19 on a good note.)
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #23
mholme
ninjette.org member

Name: Marques

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 636

I went through the same thing years ago and ended up buying it behind their backs, keeping it at a friend's house. They said the day it arrived was the day I move out..Sold it months later and to this day, they never knew I had it. They're reaction when I bought this one was completely different, because I'm an adult now...and can make my own decisions. My mom even smiled and snapped a few pictures for the rest of the family when I came by. How old are you?
mholme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #24
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r Red

Quote:
^^ Well said and my point exactly!
ProdigyRacingLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #25
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r Red

My parents were against my decision to buy. They honestly.thougt I couldn't aforrd it. So I got a 3 jobs within the year, and was a full time student. Hunted Craigslist for a year while saving. Then one day, mom came home, the bike was in the backyard and she had to deal.with it.

Just show them that your responsible enough to wear gear and a lot of it.
Don't talk about speed but only how enjoyable.it is to ride and feel the wind

The only way to win is to show them that you are more concerned about your safety than even they are.

Hope his helps!
ProdigyRacingLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #26
Paracord
ninjette.org member

I'm 20, I'll be 21 in a couple of months, wish I could have moved out on a good note but they wouldn't even let me move out on my own when I wanted to haha

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #27
mholme
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm 20, I'll be 21 in a couple of months, wish I could have moved out on a good note but they wouldn't even let me move out on my own when I wanted to haha
Yeah, I was around the same age. Believe it or not, parents usually know you best, better than you even know yourself. My parents didn't think I was ready to ride, given several factors..and they were right. Not saying you aren't ready, but respectful decisions living under their roof goes a long way supporting your cause.

I hope everything works out and you all come to a mutual understanding. Family is going to be there for you longer than any motorcycle.

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #28
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

It seems like most people feel it's normal to be over the age of 18 and still live with your parents? I voluntarily GTFO the second I graduated high school.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #29
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyRacingLA View Post
^^ Well said and my point exactly!
I'm 16

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #30
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
It seems like most people feel it's normal to be over the age of 18 and still live with your parents? I voluntarily GTFO the second I graduated high school.
I was thinking the exact same thing while reading this thread. I lived at home until I was 18 and went to college; I moved out and into the dorms and never looked back. I love my parents and had (and still have) a good relationship with them, but it seems weird to me to be in one's 20s and still live at home.

That said, I think that if someone *does* live at home, particularly if they don't pay rent, they should follow the rules of the house. Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety. Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #31
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
Living with your parents is often better than being homeless.
Debatable

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #32
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Debatable
No. It's better lol Even with crazy parents, or parent. You don't know what you have until you lose it

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #33
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Debatable
Agreed haha

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
No. It's better lol Even with crazy parents, or parent. You don't know what you have until you lose it
+1 to my respect for you sir. It takes a whole other level to realize this as a young adult.

Family issues are not my thing, good luck and best wishes to the OP, it can be brutal on your own.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #35
Paracord
ninjette.org member

Eh I'll do fine, if they decide to let me back in I'll happily take my old room back lol but until then rent is only $200 a month with two of my friends so I can make it.

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #36
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Eh I'll do fine, if they decide to let me back in I'll happily take my old room back lol but until then rent is only $200 a month with two of my friends so I can make it.
Do yourself a favor and use this experience to grow up and be a man. I don't know when people started getting the idea that it is OK to live off your parents until you have a doctorate and get a job. Props from me for living on your own and supporting yourself

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #37
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Quote:
It depends on culture a lot (at least in my case.) I'm 23 and I'm expected to live at home until I'm married, my brother is older and is expected to do the same. It's actually looked down upon to move out before then. Some of my cousins have moved out and the whole family freaks out, and I mean whole family as in uncles, and aunts. Although I plan on moving out before I'm married, but have to wait until I graduate, paying myself through nursing is a lot easier with mom & dad.

Thinking that this is living off your parents is incorrect (unless you really are lol) but in my family you live with your parents until you get married, no rent but you pay everything else. I will pay my dues when my parents are older and they need to live with me, or I need to support them. It's kind of a circle, they take care of me and help me out and in turn their children will do the same for them. Tthe best deal for them is that they will never go into a nursing home.
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #38
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm 19, I "live" with my parents, but only when I'm on breaks from school. Believe me, as soon as I graduate college, I'm moving out. But until then, I think of it as small steps to making it on my own. It's certainly a much nicer living arrangement than if I had just walked out the door the day I graduated high school
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #39
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Changing the new rider's mind may not be their intent. Maybe they just wanted him out of the house. I'm sure they love him and all that, but enough is enough. If one's eighteen or older and can afford a luxury like a motorcycle, he or she should be financially independent. Some kids won't take a hint and need a good kick in the boot out the door. Ultimately, it's a good thing for both the parents and the child as they can move onto another phase of their lives.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #40
mholme
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post
Changing the new rider's mind may not be their intent. Maybe they just wanted him out of the house. I'm sure they love him and all that, but enough is enough. If one's eighteen or older and can afford a luxury like a motorcycle, he or she should be financially independent. Some kids won't take a hint and need a good kick in the boot out the door. Ultimately, it's a good thing for both the parents and the child as they can move onto another phase of their lives.
Very good point. I look back all the time and think that I was 20 some years old, living at home, having my parents pay for school and housing and had the nerve to think, you know what, I'm buying a bike...Even though I bought it on my own, using credit they helped me establish..not the wisest decision I have made.