ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 04 Ninja 250R

04 ninja 250r bogs down and loses power

So I have an 04 Ninja 250R and it was driving fine. I love the bike. But then one night while I was riding home it started (almost put of nowhere) bogging down and shutting off. It also idles at about 3000-4000 rpms right when it is started. I have read all kinds of posts about issues similar but they all have the same solutions. I have already cleaned the carbs and replaced the spark plugs. Any suggestions would be great. I posted a video on YouTube and will put the link on here when it is up.

http://youtu.be/OK_XmwFhCKk Here's the link to the video. This is what it has been doing.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Mitchell_hs; May 22nd, 2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Mitchell_hs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:55 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Mitchell!

We gotta ask the obvious questions first, so bear with me.

Battery connections tight?
Battery fully charged?
Did you have a peek in the air box? Any debris in there?
How is the air filter?
Was you outta gas?
Did you try to drain the tank and fill with some fresh gas?
If it idles high your idle is set to high or you are running lean for some reason. Any carb/airbox/exhaust mods?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Hey man, thanks for the reply. Tedious or not I'll answer any questions to get this problem solved. As for the answers to your questions, I have no mods on the bike that I'm aware of. Previous owner didn't say so, so I'm assuming there isn't. Also, it has had. Battery is good and well connected. I have adjusted the idle so that when it does kinda slow down on the idle it goes down to 1500. Air filter is basically brand new. Air box looks clear to me. I have gas in the tank that I put in a few days ago.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

http://youtu.be/OK_XmwFhCKk Here's the link to the video. This is what it's doing.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:21 PM   #5
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

is your choke on?

Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

I wish it were that simple. I've tried to figure that out. My last mechanic did something weird with it last time. He put a zip tie around the cable and I'm supposed to pull it to turn the choke on. I can't even tell if it's on or not.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

The motherflippin choke cable isn't even connected to the carbs!!!!!! Could that affect it? It seems like it's not on if it's not connected.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:18 PM   #8
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell_hs View Post
The motherflippin choke cable isn't even connected to the carbs!!!!!! Could that affect it? It seems like it's not on if it's not connected.
Ahhh. It may be that simple. Choke may be stuck on.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Well I put the cable back on and it didn't affect anything. Won't even crank now.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 07:23 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
What's with the throttle? Looks strange in the video. Check that both of the throttle plates are moving properly when you open the throttle.

Sure seems like a fuel or air issue to me. Like something is blocked or restricted.

With the engine off, reach into the carb and check that the slides will rise and fall smoothly.

What air filter do you have in it? Pull it out and give it a try (temporarily).

If you still can't get it to run, pull the plugs and post a picture of them.

If it won't crank, you most likely need to charge the battery.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:13 PM   #11
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

The plates look to be moving alright. I had to tighten the throttle cable and it stopped the weird thing it's doing. The battery is brand new and was charged up a few days ago. It's cranking but it's not turning over. I just replaced the plugs today. But the old plugs are wet with oil. It seems as though when I cover the holes in the lid of the air box it will actually turn over. But I can't get it to rev because when I give it has it just turns off. And how do I check the slides?

Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........... But then one night while I was riding home it started (almost put of nowhere) bogging down and shutting off.........
Welcome, Mitchell !!!

Try the air filter test recommended above.

Then, drain the bowls of the carburetors into a glass container and look for any signs of water contamination.
If you find water, you need to drain the fuel tank.

If that does not work, check the plumbing of the fuel supply to the carburetors, from the filters inside the tank continuing on the vacuum feeding the petcock, the petcock itself and any in-line fuel filter inside the hose.

Verify that abundant fuel is flowing out of that hose while the engine is cranking.

If that is OK, check all the connections of the spark coils and plugs.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:06 PM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Are you getting fuel to the carburetors? Have you inspected the peacock? Tested it?
is a fuel filter installed?
Quote:

You need to verify the petcock is petcocking, err, i mean working properly.

PETCOCK TEST
install a fuel hose from the petcock fuel outlet into a catch can. Pull the vacuum hose from the engine side. Leave it connected to the petcock.

Now...petcock set to on.... fuel should NOT be flowing. Apply suction to the vacuum hose (which is connected to the petcock ONLY) ...fuel should now flow.

Make sure the vacuum line doesn't have any pinholes or cracks!

Post your findings.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:51 AM   #14
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

I'm really thankful for all the replies guys. Thank you. And yes I have a fuel filter on it. But I don't see a vacuum hose connected to the petcock.... Should there be? I'm sorry I'm very new at bikes. Lol. And I will try the air filter test as well.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:09 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
I'm really thankful for all the replies guys. Thank you. And yes I have a fuel filter on it. But I don't see a vacuum hose connected to the petcock.... Should there be? I'm sorry I'm very new at bikes. Lol. And I will try the air filter test as well.
You are welcome

Please, read this article explaining how the petcock is activated by vacuum generated by the working engine:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap

Also:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Draining_the_carbs

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...e_fuel_tank%3F

Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Well I drained the float bowls and I connected what I think is the vacuum tube to the Petcock and now it won't crank. Just turns over. ( I may have those backwards) I have no clue what to do next. It seems as though the mechanic I took it to messed it up more rather than fixing it. A lot of stuff wasn't connected properly. And it didn't start doing this until I got it back from him. The day of me getting it from him actually.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:32 AM   #17
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

So when I got done typing that reply I got up and tried to crank it and it crunk right up with no hesitation. But then it idled at about 4000 rpm and started climbing. Well I tried to adjust the idle and turn it down and it went down to 4000 and stayed there. What should I do to fix this? I think it might be getting to much air. But that's my opinion.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:18 AM   #18
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

I just got it to crank first thing and idle at 1500 rpm pretty steadily. After a few minutes I got on it to test drive it and got down the road. It was doing fine but it was still a little hesitant on throttle response and bogged down a couple times.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:24 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.......Well I tried to adjust the idle and turn it down and it went down to 4000 and stayed there........
You need to first verify that the throttle cables are allowing some slack for the hand adjuster to close the butterflies all the way down.
In other words, adjust the idle first (after the engine is fully hot) and then adjust the slack of both cables of the throttle handle (to achieve minimum slack for all positions of the steering).

Could you check the free supply of fuel to the carbs when the engine was working?

Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:46 AM   #20
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Yeah I forgot to mention that. I loosened the throttle cables so that they would sit where it would be at 1500 rpm. The only problem now is the slight bogging and hesitation.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:12 PM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.......... The only problem now is the slight bogging and hesitation.
If that is the only problem, just give it some time and keep riding the bike regularly, but away from dangerous traffic, just in case the engine stalls.

Now, you have to fine tune the carburetors for eliminating that slight bogging and hesitation.

Before anything else, you need to verify that enough fuel is reaching the carbs at all times.
The reason is that certain level of fuel needs to be kept inside each bowl for the carbs be tunable.

If that is OK, you will need to properly clean and adjust those by yourself.
No mechanic will take the time and effort to do it correctly.

Before doing that surgery, you need to make sure that everything else is working and that the performance of the engine is stable even if not optimum.
Otherwise you will find yourself chasing your tail with many loose ends.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 02:18 PM   #22
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Yeah I forgot to mention that. I loosened the throttle cables so that they would sit where it would be at 1500 rpm. The only problem now is the slight bogging and hesitation.
Throttle cables don't set the idle speed, they should both have a little slack in them, and the use the idle adjustment knob.

You need to verify the proper operation of the petcock first.

Also replace the fuel filter as well.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:04 PM   #23
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
As Ghostt noted - you need some slack in the throttle cables, and the idle should be set with the idle speed screw to 1300 when it's hot.

Did you catch the gas from the floatbowls and look at it? Is there water or sediment in it? The gas may be bad or full of condensation. Leaving the level low can allow condensation to form. Next step, for me, would be completely draining the tank and floatbowls. Run ethanol-free 87 or the lowest octane you can get without ethanol. I would also add 1oz per gal of Techron Concentrate fuel system cleaner.

How about the air filter - take it out and try it - any difference? Is there oil in the bottom of the airbox?

Can you post a picture of the plugs you took out? Sounds like they are dark and wet. Does the engine smoke?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 25th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #24
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

I tried to drive it on the road shortly after I posted that reply and getting to the asphalt was no problem. No hesitation or bogging. But as soon as I have it some gas on the asphalt it immediately started bogging and cut off when I let go of the throttle. Same thing it was doing before. I have the cables how they are supposed to be. They were too tight. Also, a motorcycle mechanic came by and told me that since I had put 87 in it then that could've messed it up. He said that has happened to him because of the amount of ethanol. And, I did drain the float bowls and saw maybe a smal drop of water. Nothing too major. He told me to drain the tank, put 93 in it, and some of that throttle system cleaner in it. After I take the carbs apart and clean the jets again. But I think I'll just take it to a mechanic this week and get them to do it. I'd hate to do it incorrectly for a second time. Lol. But I'll let you guys know what he says it is. I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me. And actually yes, the plugs were wet with oil. And I noticed that when the bike warmed up, a considerable amount of smoke was coming from under the motor. Could that be bad valve cover gaskets?

Old May 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #25
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I tried to drive it on the road shortly after I posted that reply and getting to the asphalt was no problem. No hesitation or bogging. But as soon as I have it some gas on the asphalt it immediately started bogging and cut off when I let go of the throttle. Same thing it was doing before. I have the cables how they are supposed to be. They were too tight. Also, a motorcycle mechanic came by and told me that since I had put 87 in it then that could've messed it up. He said that has happened to him because of the amount of ethanol. And, I did drain the float bowls and saw maybe a smal drop of water. Nothing too major. He told me to drain the tank, put 93 in it, and some of that throttle system cleaner in it. After I take the carbs apart and clean the jets again. But I think I'll just take it to a mechanic this week and get them to do it. I'd hate to do it incorrectly for a second time. Lol. But I'll let you guys know what he says it is. I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me. And actually yes, the plugs were wet with oil. And I noticed that when the bike warmed up, a considerable amount of smoke was coming from under the motor. Could that be bad valve cover gaskets?
The only reason to ever go above 87 octane is to get away from ethanol. The increased octane itself is not an advantage.

If you saw any water in the gas from the floatbowls you need to completely drain the tank.

This still can easily be nothing more than an issue of bad fuel. Don't give up fixing it yourself yet.

Old May 25th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #26
Ghostt
in your machine

@Mitchell_hs
Dump your tank of fuel, and fill with plain 87, don't waste your money.

Also you need to verify the tank drain is working properly, it's the hose coming off the back of the tank. You need to blow air thru the hose, and also back into the tank with an air compressor, make sure you have the cap open.

I had issues with water in my fuel on my EX500, and the cause was the tank drain was clogged, once I blew it out, no more issues with water.

If your in need of carburetor services PM @ducatiman, I personally vouch for him.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 26th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #27
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. I'll try all of this today and let tall know!

Old May 27th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #28
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Okay so I tried all the stuff tall told me with no results. I then looked at the petcock and noticed there was no vacuum hose connected. I looked at the carbs where the hose would go and found a hose about an inch and a half long with a screw in the end of it. Not sure with this did or why it was like this. But I disconnected that and connected the Petcock to the carbs and tried to crank it and let it run. It ran but I saw no change in performance. Still bogs when I rev it up and won't accelerate. Any ideas on what to do next?

Old May 27th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #29
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Okay so I tried all the stuff tall told me with no results. I then looked at the petcock and noticed there was no vacuum hose connected. I looked at the carbs where the hose would go and found a hose about an inch and a half long with a screw in the end of it. Not sure with this did or why it was like this. But I disconnected that and connected the Petcock to the carbs and tried to crank it and let it run. It ran but I saw no change in performance. Still bogs when I rev it up and won't accelerate. Any ideas on what to do next?
Did you actually test the petcock? Because if it's working properly, then no fuel would flow without vacuum being supplied.

I'm gonna guess that something is wrong with it, due to the last owner disconnected it, and your in need of either a new one, or rebuilding the old one, personally I'd go for a new one, why you ask?

Quote:
If your petcock is shot, save your time, and money and get a new one, the cost of rebuilding it isn't much cheaper, due to you need two separate kits, as they for some reason don't make just one.

New one cost about $65.00

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1139.html

Also be sure to order the orings(92022-183 WASHER,6.2X11X1.5)and new bolts(92001-1091BOLT,6X20),trust me you'll be better off in the long run.

Rebuilding kits are about $60 total.

K&L Supply Diaphragm Only for Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-6638 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DWO60..._s1CGub1W9N3PH

K&L Supply Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-2723 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KO2JRW..._U1CGub05DT5NT

Rebuilding the petcock/fuel tap
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap

IMHO not worth it rebuilding, also be sure to check vacuum and fuel lines for wear, holes, and cracks, if in doubt replace them.

Given the few problems you have found, like choke cable, throttle cables, vacuum hose, etc... You might want to seriously think about having those carburetors serviced, PM Ducatiman for his top caliber services, or parts.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 28th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #30
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Alright. I'll definitely check that out. And if all else fails I'll message him.

Old May 28th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #31
Ghostt
in your machine

O and BTW you might want to replace that missing bolt it your right handle bar riser, it's kinda important.

Personally I'd go over the entire bike, especially the brakes. This not only makes sure the bike is safe, but you learn a lot, and it's fun.

Being a person whom fixes old bikes up, take my advice on that, here is the history or my Ninjette,

Quote:

Back in May 2014, I picked up a 98 with 27k miles on it for a great price. The P.O. did nothing except put gas in it, and changed the oil, I think, he did this for about 20k of the total miles.

Needless to say it needed a lot of TLC. I am no stranger to rebuilding bikes, I did my 91 EX500 which was a basket case for sure to say the least, here is the link to see that build:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1006527...JCB6ffS-973wgE

With that said I went through the bike, repairing, replacing, & modifying as I went, with the exception of the engine/transmission that seems solid no noises or smoke.

Here is a link to the evolution as told by pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1006527...IDXyZXyoe2m0QE

Work performed :

Cut and set sag front fork springs(springs from a Ninja 500 1st generation, rate is .85kg/mm )

Replace fork oil 15wt synthetic

Install new fork seals and dust caps

Replace rear shock(zx600c)

Replace shock oil 15wt synthetic

Change gears +1/-2

Rebuild/tune carbs, adjust idle mixture

K&N air filter

New brake pads F&R EBC extreme HH

New Wave front rotor

Used OEM rear rotor

Modified OEM seat(gel/foam insert, Custom Seat Creation cover solo line cf silver/cf metal, heated kit)

Extra heavy bar ends(3"/23oz)

Heated grips w/ foam covers

Touring windscreen(7 JuRock 18" 73%tint flip)

Shorter bar risers(ZX600c lower bars about 1 1/2")

Removed paint from rims, bare aluminum

Bridgestone BT-45s w/ Dynabeads

Stainless steel allen head fasteners

Stainless steel braided brake lines

Shorty adjustable levers

HD clutch springs

Charge/voltage LED indicator

LED clock

HID headlight(55w 6k)

Replaced all other bulbs with CREE LEDs

DIY integrated tail light kit w/clear lens

DIY rear fender elimination

DIY licence plate mount(LEDs to illuminate the plate/red LEDs tied into brake light)

Brake light modulator

Maintenance free gel battery

Compact air horn

2007 Complete OEM fairing set silver

Genuine imitation carbon fiber wrap misc parts

Reflective custom graphics ZX-2R silver

Reflective custom graphic NINJA red(taillight lens)

Reflective rim tape silver

Electronic turn indicator relay

Replace front side reflectors with flush mount turn indicators LEDs

Installed rearview camera system

Installed oil cooler

Strip paint off grab handle, bare aluminum alloy.*

Custom reflective graphic "SERENITY" for windscreen silver

Aluminum chain guard from Suzuki Bandit 1200

Swing arm plugs from 08 Ninja 250

Mad Hornets Turn Signal Indicators w/duel color Cree LEDs(amber/white)

FH010 R/R modification

Digital gear indicator

Carbon Fiber wrap miscellaneous parts

Installed Universal Rear View Side Mirror Rain Board Sun Visor Shade Shield, genuine imitation carbon fiber wrap with non- visible clear coat applied.

All this and full maintenance and rebuild everything else except the motor. I'm sure I'm forget some stuff, but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6016252158262234738.jpg (158.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 6023222836523403186.jpg (139.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 6096104756963134002.jpg (160.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2713.jpg (82.1 KB, 5 views)

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 28th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #32
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Nice bike man. Wish I had time to do all of that. I'm 19 and in college. But anyways. I tapped on the floats bowls to see if the slide was stuck and lo and behold, it started working right. Whether that was it or not, I have no clue. But I then took it for a test drive. Ran beautifully. Like the day I got it. Got about a minute or two down the road and I look behind me and see enormous clouds of smoke coming from my exhaust. well I pull over and the bike dies.(I'm assuming this is because of the temperature increasing really fast from the oil burning.) well I let it sit for a while and crank it up. Steady smoke. And I tried to rev it up and it bogged all the way down. Wouldn't accelerate for anything. So I pushed it back home. Lol. I was so happy that I had fixed the bogging only for something else to go wrong and this problem come right back. If this is something difficult to do on my own I'm just gonna take it to a mechanic. What do yall think? Being as there was oil on the old spark plugs, I'm thinking its a valve cover gasket leak.

Last futzed with by Mitchell_hs; May 28th, 2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Old May 28th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #33
Ghostt
in your machine

Not for nothing, but you didn't fix it, you at the very least found the cause, now you can fix it.

I'm confused, was it the float needle valve(bottom) or the diaphragm slide(top)?

As far as smoke goes, it's hard to say, if your float valves get stuck open, then you can get gas in your oil. Check your oil level , has it increased? Decreased?

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 29th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #34
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Well I read somewhere that if the diaphragm slide is stuck and you tap the float bowls with a screwdriver or something like that then it might unstick. I may be mistaken on which part. But I'm pretty sure it is the slide. But as a matter of fact it very well could be the float needle valve. The last guy that worked on it said that gas was getting in the oil. But he didn't tell me why or how he fixed it. He charged me a helluva lot of money to do something I could've don't in five minutes. Lol. He charged me $250 to do basic tune up stuff. Anyways. I'll do a little more research. How do I go about getting the gas out of the oil?

Old June 1st, 2015, 10:52 AM   #35
Ghostt
in your machine

There is only way gas gets into the oil, floats are either out of spec, and/or bad float needle valve.

Even if the petcock is defective, the floats will do there job, assuming they are working properly.

You need to have the carburetors serviced, by a professional @ducatiman for example, and also need to verify that petcock is working.

What exactly did the $250 get you??

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 1st, 2015, 03:29 PM   #36
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Well pretty much, he got a new battery:$50 air filter:$25 labor:$100 whatever he thinks he did to the petcock: added:$40 labor. Charged me $12 for 3 gallons of gas. (Gas here is not $4 a gallon. It's $2.) and $20 for an oil filter. ( the oil filter is disgusting. Not even close to new. He took advantage of me because I knew nothing about motorcycles. But after I payed him I looked up the prices for some of this stuff and it's not right.

Old June 1st, 2015, 03:45 PM   #37
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Well pretty much, he got a new battery:$50 air filter:$25 labor:$100 whatever he thinks he did to the petcock: added:$40 labor. Charged me $12 for 3 gallons of gas. (Gas here is not $4 a gallon. It's $2.) and $20 for an oil filter. ( the oil filter is disgusting. Not even close to new. He took advantage of me because I knew nothing about motorcycles. But after I payed him I looked up the prices for some of this stuff and it's not right.
You just learned the lesson about doing your own maintenance, as most of us here had to learn the same way, and whom to trust.

The list of people I would trust working on my vehicles is extremely short.

It's excellent motivation for you and others to do their own, and as an added bonus the Ninjette is super simple to learn on, and cheap to maintain, once you get the hang of it.

It will be a learning curve, and your in for ups and downs, but in the end you'll be better off. It's important to take one's time, and stay positive.

I just wish sometimes I lived closer to fellow members.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #38
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

oh poop.

I just wrote a huge response and accidentally hit backspace and deleted the whole thing, so excuse me if this is the abbreviated version.

first, don't say you don't have any time. i've got a 3 year old, full time job and a wife and still find a couple hours to work on projects every night, haha. I wish i was 19 and in college, that was easy!

anyhow,
when you're dealing with something like this you need to make an open issues matrix. that education cost me over 100k and here i'm gonna give it to ya free!

Here, i'm attaching an example.

the first column is symptoms, in order of severity. The second column lists possible root causes for the symptoms (also in order of severity) then the last column lists tests for those root causes, in order of ease.

You go down the list of tests/fixes starting with the easy stuff that will be the most severe if you don't figure it out. As you go down the list you'll be able to pretty quickly figure out what your main issues are, then once you have them fixed you can start identifying secondary issues, and so on. Once you know the results of your tests you can identify the most comprehensive and efficient way to fix it.

Say you identify you have a head gasket leak. You might replace the head gasket, get the engine back in the bike, then realize you have a clogged carb, it would have been easier to identfy and fix both at the same time while the engine was out.

Taking random pot-shots and pushing your bike home will just frustrate you and waste a lot of time and money. Usually there are many things wrong with a bike like this, and it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th thing broke that someone eventually parked it. Add to that the fact that you apparently had some idiot mechanic working on it, and you can start to see where a scientific approach is mandatory.

To this i would also add, the vacuum petcock is (in my opinion) just an additional source of errors and frustration. If you trust yourself being smart enough to turn it off when you're not riding for an extended period, and your floats are set correctly to not leak gas, you can replace it with the 'yamaha raptor' petcock which goes for about $7 on ebay.

Based on what you're saying your mechanic may have jury-rigged the petcock for 'always on' operation which could be causing the gas-in-oil situation. WHICH WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE VERY QUICKLY IF IT HASN'T ALREADY!!!

there are some other 'resurrection tips' in my thread here:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212535
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ninja 250 troubleshooting matrix.xlsx (9.6 KB, 3 views)
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #39
Mitchell_hs
ninjette.org member

Thank you all for the replies. Ghost you were extremely helpful in this. But every bit of input was and is gratefully appreciated. And ninjunk, thanks for the reply. Also I can respectfully say that I truly have no time to work on my bike. Between work, college classes, church, and other academic responsibilities I'm hardly ever home. Lol and on the note. I decided it would be best to take it to a mechanic that is trusted and well known around where I live. I dropped it off Tuesday. I explained the situation and problems it was having and he came to the same conclusion we all did. Stuck slide allowing gas to leak into the oil. Also, they are going to rewire it to solve the problem of it "overheating" after 20 minutes of riding. I have researched this and thought it was the ignition box with the symptoms marching up exactly. He states it was some sort of sensor. And that they were going to replace it. While it's there I am also having them cream the tank, rebuild the carbs, and replace the seal in the petcock. (I noticed it leaking quite badly when I was taking it to the mechanic Tuesday.) it also is leaking oil pretty bad and I'm not sure where it's coming from. So I asked them to look at that as well. And as far as I can remember that's what they are doing. I hope it won't be as bad of a price tag as I'm thinking. Lol. And I'm hoping to be riding with no issues in about a week- week and a half. Thanks again for all of the replys. I honestly did learn some things while working on it. And am now confident enough about my motorcycle repair skills to be able to make minor maintenance on my bike with ease. Lol that may not seem like a big milestone but to me it's a big deal.

Old June 21st, 2015, 05:35 PM   #40
sh123469
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): EX250, Suzuki Savage, 76 Goldwing restoration project, 71 CB350, 73 Yamaha GT1,

So, what happened with the bike? I am sure several of us are interested in hearing the end results. What was found to be wrong? How bad did the bill hurt?
sh123469 is offline   Reply With Quote