Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old June 15th, 2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I.T. - What am I thinking?

I am studying to get my IT certifications. I have always wanted to learn computers, just never got around to it. My photography business isn't going as well as I had hoped (lots of competition here), so I figured I'd work towards something else. I'm still doing photography, even some wardrobe design stuff; I'm just also working towards a new goal too.

So I am working on a CompTIA certification. For now, I'm doing the "useless one", fundamentals. I only decided to do this since I already had the book, I figured it may not hurt to do it to refresh me on some basic stuff. I am 70% done with it, but I already have A+ lined up on the bookshelf next. 1300 pages of studying. YAY.

Even though I see that book and I'm not really looking forward to it, another part of me is. Because I love to learn.

I'm just curious what I should do next. I think Network+. But I'd also like to learn Server+ as well. Security is definitely on the menu too.

Any recommendations from the IT crew here?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 15th, 2018, 08:06 PM   #2
danno25nh
ninjette.org member

Name: Danno

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2009 Versys

Network+, CCNA, and security to start.
danno25nh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2018, 10:00 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
What’s your long-term career plan? What path do you want to be on?

If you think photo is competitive, IT is 10x worse. IT is becoming increasingly commodity market, no one’s special. Get over 100 applicants for every position. I just laid off 5 guys to replace with 20 off-shore. Along with moving half of in-house systems to cloud provider.

CISSP is pretty hot right now. With increasing use of off-site cloud hosting, also get VMware VCP and some sort of AWS. Either one of those will get you over $100k hump. I recommend getting out of trenches ASAP into some sort of management role. Get a PMP so you can lead small projects to start. Now you’re looking at $130–150k.

Also brush up presentation skills (Toastmasters) because you’ll want to sell yourself and your projects effectively. Learn about managing relationships in workplace; with co-workers and bosses. The higher you go, the less and less hard-skills and certs matter. It all about who you know (and who knows you), and how much they like you.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2018, 06:17 AM   #4
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Lots of stuff gets outsourced, but IT Security seems to stay in house, and pays better.

I'd start with the lower level certifications and then go for a CISSP.

I've been a CISSP for over 9 years. There is zero unemployment in this field as long as you maintain your certifications and eligibility to work (ie don't get convicted of a crime, fired, ect.....)
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
IT certified personnel are in high demand now a days and the demand is growing! Good choice in careers!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2018, 07:04 PM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I did decide to complete the A+ and then skip Network+. The main reason I did this is because if I split up the CCNA cert into two tests, the first test gives me my CCENT. The CCENT is basically Cisco's version of the Network+. I've heard many are not aware of that and feel it is lacking over the Network+, but once I snag a CCNA, all that changes because the CCNA definitely weighs more than a Network+.

I figured thinking two certifications ahead is a good thing. LOL

Old September 15th, 2018, 05:02 AM   #7
Checkerson
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): Honda Nighthawk

Makes sense judging by that explanation. Good luck, Apex. You definitely won't regret it.

Old September 27th, 2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

While still working on my A+ cert, I landed an interview for an IT Analyst. I did a preliminary interview, and now I have to schedule a follow up tomorrow!

I'm stoked. It is more of running Ethernet cabling, building servers, etc. I don't have to manage anything, I need to know more hardware than anything. Good thing, I know hardware better than software.

My followup interview will most likely be next week. I hope I land this! Ditching photography as my main job title (hopefully) for IT Analyst. My first step into a new world.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 27th, 2018, 07:57 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
good luck!!!!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2018, 04:31 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Congrats!

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2018, 08:56 PM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Yup, interview with my potential supervisor and manager is on Monday. Toss up some prayers for me. If I can land this, I can finish saving for a new bike (maybe simply new to me instead of new new). Life is better on two wheels anyway. So yes, I will have a motorcycle of some type in my garage soon.

Old October 6th, 2018, 12:33 AM   #12
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Go, you! Get the job! Make all the money!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2018, 09:43 AM   #13
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Good luck!

I need more competent IT help! We're opening up new venue in next couple weeks in Orlando. Had to fire both guys we hired to help set up network infrastructure. One was drinking on job and other was dumbass.

Old October 7th, 2018, 07:07 PM   #14
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Good luck!

I need more competent IT help! We're opening up new venue in next couple weeks in Orlando. Had to fire both guys we hired to help set up network infrastructure. One was drinking on job and other was dumbass.
Wow, that is crazy. I can't imagine ever even thinking about drinking when I had to work. Only time I really like to have a drink is when I know I don't have to go anywhere for the rest of the night.

Old October 8th, 2018, 05:11 PM   #15
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Well, the interview went really well today. If I get something, it won't be ops, it will be more data center work. Lots of switches, servers, routers, stuff like that. Waiting on callback later that says I'm hired.

Should know by Friday.

Last futzed with by Apex; October 9th, 2018 at 08:02 AM.

Old October 15th, 2018, 06:18 PM   #16
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Update! Did the drug screen and background check and all is good, so I got my OFFICIAL offer! Start the new job on Monday next week!

I'll be a data center technician. I get to play with servers. More hardware side, but I can do it easily enough. Replace drives when a Raid controller says one went bad, replace fans, basic maintenance, monitoring each server rack, all that fun stuff.

I get to work on all of that. I have to report at 8am on Monday to get my badge, to meet the crew I'll be working with, etc.

I am actually hoping to ask the wife if I can snag a bike before the first day so I can really take advantage of the HOV lane down the busiest highway in Houston. We shall see. I'm sure she will want me to wait. But I just know it will make the morning commute that much better. I've been eyeing a 2007 Honda VTX 1300 R at the local dealer that is reasonably priced.

Old October 15th, 2018, 08:21 PM   #17
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Congrats!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2018, 07:34 AM   #18
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Congrats!
Thank you!!!

Old October 16th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #19
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Update! Did the drug screen and background check and all is good, so I got my OFFICIAL offer! Start the new job on Monday next week!

I'll be a data center technician. I get to play with servers. More hardware side, but I can do it easily enough. Replace drives when a Raid controller says one went bad, replace fans, basic maintenance, monitoring each server rack, all that fun stuff.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You just jumped queue 10-years at least! Most people start in desktop-support which is pretty much dead-end unless you put in lots of outside training.

Data-centre management what I was doing 20-yrs ago for enterprise outfits. My job was to go in after acquisitions were made and migrate their data-centre in-house. They'd drop me off at data-centre after having laid off all their staff and tell us we had 30-days to move it all with no disruption in services!!! Most times, it's simple hundred or two servers in 5-10 racks, no big deal. One time it was BIG acquisition with about 100+ racks!

Anyway, you'll learn way more valuable skills managing data-centres than doing desktop-support. Awesome work!

Old October 16th, 2018, 11:22 AM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You just jumped queue 10-years at least! Most people start in desktop-support which is pretty much dead-end unless you put in lots of outside training.

Data-centre management what I was doing 20-yrs ago for enterprise outfits. My job was to go in after acquisitions were made and migrate their data-centre in-house. They'd drop me off at data-centre after having laid off all their staff and tell us we had 30-days to move it all with no disruption in services!!! Most times, it's simple hundred or two servers in 5-10 racks, no big deal. One time it was BIG acquisition with about 100+ racks!

Anyway, you'll learn way more valuable skills managing data-centres than doing desktop-support. Awesome work!

Thank you! Yeah, the IT group here is like the do-it-all group. Managing quite a bit. Even developing their own software.

The data center has about, umm, I'd guess maybe 50 racks in it. I'll get a better idea when I actually get my badge and have some freedom to explore. The new setup they are doing is quite nice. The older racks have tons of Cat5+ cabling in them...just a huge amount of copper. The new racks each have their own switch and running 1 or 2 fiber lines out of the switch. Makes it so much cleaner. Looks amazing.