Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old September 19th, 2018, 06:00 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Motorcycle style

I know back in the day, I had a list of "bikes you'd never see me on".

I was huge into the old school Ninja 250, 500, 750, 900, and even the KLR series bikes. This was back in the mid 90's.

The weird thing is all of these bikes are still on my list. But I have noticed some changes.

The do-not-ride list has changed. I think my current do-not-ride list has extended into modern Supersport bikes. I'm sad to say this. I guess as I've gotten older, I've realized that outright performance isn't everything. That possibly sacrificing performance for more of a real world bike is very important.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a solid classic bike. For instance a BMW K100, or a Suzuki GS750, or something even older than those. Maybe even a new Triumph Scrambler or Bonnie.

I also thing a full out touring rig is not on my list (ie: Honda Goldwing) simply because of the cost required to acquire one.

I have a long list of loves.
- Triumph Scrambler
- Triumph Bonneville
- Kawi Z900RS
- Kawi Versys 1000
- Kawi Vulcan 900 Classic
Just to name a few
Also have to mention the Yamaha XSR 900 and 700, AND the SCR950. Dang those are good looking.

What about everyone else?

I guess I'm asking because I'm also thinking about getting back into motorcycling. It is in my blood, and I was rather stupid to walk away from it. Currently I'm thinking a cruiser because of the wind protection and 2-up ease of the bike. Plus I don't mind that exhaust note either. But I'm not turning away from a Z900RS or XSR 900 or something like those, because I could easily pop a fairing on it (or windshield) and it would be very similar riding to my old '97 GS500. I loved that bike. I had a huge windscreen on it too and the wind barely touched me. It was heaven during the cold season. Still wish I didn't sell it.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2018, 07:56 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
If I could have only one bike it'd be a modern supersport, because I ride on the track.

But I have a track bike. So....

I'm a big believer in owning a vehicle that's ideally suited for most of what you do. This is why IMHO it's stupid to buy a ginormous SUV that can haul the whole football team across boulder fields, when 99 percent of the time what it gets used for is single-driver commuting. Yet I see that all the time around here.

This year I decided that I've had enough of putting along at 35 mph on a 750cc supersport, looking at the ass-end of Audi SUVs every bloody morning. It had become abundantly clear that the bike I ride on the street is not a good choice for street riding.

My riding: Since I ride on the track, I'm there several weekends a season. That means any recreational riding that lets me really enjoy the GSX-R has fallen way off. Most of my miles are commuting. So that argues for something that's happy at low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic... something more upright than a supersport, short enough to be easy to manage at a standstill (i.e. get a foot down easily), with enough power to keep me entertained but not so much that it's just a stupid waste. Having experienced really good suspension, that's important to me. And it has to have some character to it.

I just swapped my GSX-R750 (purchased new, before I got my track bike) for a Triumph Street Triple R with upgraded suspension. JUST started riding it today and I think it was a great choice; it ticks all the boxes, has a terrific motor that sounds awesome and is really nicely styled (with the possible exception of the bug-eye headlights...might do something about that). A lot of naked bikes don't do it for me, especially the more modern Japanese bikes that look like Transformers (I'm looking at you, FZ-10) or are just forgettable origami exercises (you too, modern Z900). This is different. Triumph got it right.

I'm also a fan of the XSR900 and XSR700. The classic Triumphs I can take or leave. Big, heavy, not great on power.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:31 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
What Fisty-dude said, but I'd like to add that I don't have a "do not ride" list. I'm happy to get on any vehicle I can. I even get a kick out of those electric carts you see at the supermarket.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2018, 02:23 AM   #4
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
zrx's are still my fav
to bad i totaled this one

Old September 20th, 2018, 04:43 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
What Fisty-dude said, but I'd like to add that I don't have a "do not ride" list. I'm happy to get on any vehicle I can. I even get a kick out of those electric carts you see at the supermarket.
In a diner parking lot, looking at yet another Harley (they all blur together for me), I turned to my wife and said "If I ever express an interest in getting something like this, you have my permission to shoot me."

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 20th, 2018, 04:53 AM   #6
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

I have a do not ride list.....it starts with H and ends with D.

I'll also echo what Mr. Douglas is saying except I'll add the Tiger as an almost equal to the ST3. A parallel analogy would be the Corvette and the Trailbazer SS.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2018, 06:21 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Do Not Ride list -

Cruiser

Cafe (anything with numbers or black and white checkers)

New Retro Cafe (copy of anything that was "cool" back in the day)
jkv45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2018, 07:10 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

I get the whole "artificial hipster coolness" objection thing re cafe racers. I happen to be a fan of the aesthetic, but that's just me.

Got a question for you: Cafe racers are really just regular bikes with a few accessories. It doesn't have to be neo-retro or have number plates and checkers to capture the spirit.

What do you think of this? To me, it's a tasteful modern take on cafe. This, by the way, is the same model, year and color of my "new" bike. Thinking about doing this conversion to it.

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Motorcycle cycle style is a lot of fun. I have customized my 2008 a lot . And working with a single platform has been interesting. I have seen everything from cafe racers to endo bikes built from a single model or two models. 88-07 and 08- present.

But regarding style it fascinates me how one style can be done the sam way and be so totally different. As an exercise let’s look at one style and see how different manufactures go about it.
The style is a red cafe racer .
Simple enough.
Then look at Ducati Tryumph and Suzuki. I tossed in the Suzuki to mix it up a bit

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:37 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Those Triumphs are fine - no numbers and no checkers.

And no metalflake open face helmets with bubble visors - oy!

I just view the cliche Cafe Racer-thing just like the Fat Tire Chopper-thing. A fad.

That's just me. I'm an old racer and like modded street bikes to look and handle more like race bikes without a lot of fluff.
jkv45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2018, 09:54 AM   #11
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
There really isn't anything on my "Do Not RIDE" list. I like all bikes. I go to every dealer demo day I can, I love trying out various bikes. I don't get people that say "I hate Cruisers" or "I hate Crotch Rockets". They are all fun to ride for their purpose.

But that doesn't mean I will buy all of them. For my money a bike has to be all around, comfortable on long rides, but not so big and heavy that I'm afraid of a gravel road, fun in the twisties, I really don't go to the track because time and money don't allow it

If money were no option I'd have a garage full of bikes of all kinds. I'd love a big touring bike for some long trips, a scrambler or naked bike for most of my commutes, a bike for the track, a cruiser for just cruising around, dirt bikes for playing in the woods, and a bigger dual sport or mid sized adventure bike for exploring the back roads and fire trails.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #12
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My hubby had a Suzuki GS750 when I met him. Was a nice bike.

I'm not a fan of the cruiser seat position, so I'm not likely to ever have one of those. Sport touring maybe, if I find the sportbikes uncomfortable. I'm really liking some of the Triumph bikes and the retro styling. Pondering their new Cup bike; it's a midsize bike and might have a low enough seat for me.

But still not giving up my Ninja for now.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #13
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

I just view the cliche Cafe Racer-thing just like the Fat Tire Chopper-thing. A fad.

That's just me. I'm an old racer and like modded street bikes to look and handle more like race bikes without a lot of fluff.
I agree the cafe racer thing is a fad and it is a dated look. But I think everything comes and goes and comes back. Then it fades into what is accepted as normal.
I like to look at how it is a style with a consistent theme. How about adventure touring then?
Notice the similar lines and features that define a style.

Old September 20th, 2018, 03:19 PM   #14
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

Maybe the full on cafe racer with outdated suspension is a fad. The Duc Sport Classic's short run would seem indicative of that. I am not a fan of the "looks only" models, like the R9T Racer having a downgraded suspension, but I am biased towards liking the styling of the retro style bikes.

When I first started riding, I was all about sportbikes. I went from a Nighthawk 250 to an R6 and then a CBR600RR. I never thought I would want another naked bike, a big touring bike, or a grand tourer. However, I now love my Thruxton R (no fairing). The suspension is solid (Showa BPF forks and Ohlins rear shocks), and the styling is just timeless IMO. As my coworker said, when I was debating a 2017 R6 or the Thruxton, "The R6 will look like an old R6 with the next generation, but the Thruxton will still be what it is." It is a bit heavy, but handling makes me think of an early 2000s 600, which is plenty for the street. Plus, the seat height is lower and the seating position is quite comfortable.

I still don't have any interest in a Goldwing or big bagger bike, but I've started to come around on the ADV bikes, like the Tiger 800 and GS. My biggest issue ultimately is seat height, as I do not like having to hop off the bike to back it into a parking space. This was ultimately the deal breaker with me and my Hypermotard.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2018, 04:01 PM   #15
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
It seems like the style that comes from the factory is what the custom bike builders are doing. Seems like it starts as a new fad. Then gets popular as a fad. Then sorta stabilize. Then the factories are all doing it. I like all the new scramblers that are coming out.

Old September 20th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #16
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
What do you think of this? To me, it's a tasteful modern take on cafe. This, by the way, is the same model, year and color of my "new" bike. Thinking about doing this conversion to it.
It's motorbike perfection is what it is.

FYI: if you go the LED headlight route, get something made by JW Speaker or Morimoto. They're a little pricey, but they're worth it. They won't fade in UV light. They're sealed. The light output is perfect (won't get you pulled over and you'll actually be able to see) and to me, they look better than anything else on the market.

Do it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2018, 08:30 AM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It's motorbike perfection is what it is.

FYI: if you go the LED headlight route, get something made by JW Speaker or Morimoto. They're a little pricey, but they're worth it. They won't fade in UV light. They're sealed. The light output is perfect (won't get you pulled over and you'll actually be able to see) and to me, they look better than anything else on the market.

Do it.
Yeah, that's the conversion from Motodemic. It does use JW Speaker lights, but the style and arrangement of the LEDs in the light has changed. Pricey for sure but oh so sexy.

Old September 21st, 2018, 06:24 PM   #18
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I know back in the day, I had a list of "bikes you'd never see me on"...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a solid classic bike. For instance a BMW K100, or a...
I guess I'm living the dream (or at least three quarters of the dream, as it's a K75).

It's my only bike these days.

Last futzed with by dcj13; October 3rd, 2018 at 09:56 AM.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2018, 07:56 PM   #19
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I suppose I should clarify. I have taken a few sportbikes for a spin. Last one was an R6. I don't want to ride any simply because I don't want to be tempted to get one. I want something more practical. Want something that I can ride in the heat of the summer or the coldest part of winter and not freeze. My 250 I'd get a serious chill half way through the ride. The wind killed me. I figured with a cruiser, I could snag the wind protection I require for a year round ride (no/little wind on legs, hands, and chest), and still a comfortable ride I could easily 2-up when needed. Just want something pretty comfortable and gets decent gas mileage, and where I don't feel the need to punch it like I did with the ninja. I loved punching it, but I guess I just want to chill a bit more on the rides.

I'm really trying to feel my way to find a solid bike for the future. Yeah, I said it....I'm considering getting back on two-wheels in the future.

Don't worry, you all will be the first to know other than my friends on FB. LOL It won't be very soon, but it will be in my future. Probably within the next year.

Old September 22nd, 2018, 03:36 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Frankly, you're describing a maxi-scooter.

- No/little wind on legs, hands, and chest
- A comfortable ride you can easily 2-up when needed
- Decent gas mileage
- Don't feel the need to punch it
- Chill

The BMW C650 and Suzuki Burgman 650 both make north of 50 horsepower, get over 50 mpg, have as much wind protection as it's possible to get short of just driving a car, and there's no way you're ever going to want to punch it. It doesn't get more chill than that.

If your instinct is to dismiss this idea out of hand.... well, deep down you've also got some emotional drivers to match the rational ones you've expressed. What creates "I'll never ride one of those" lists is all about emotion.

Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:15 AM   #21
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That is why this is my daily driver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B48CD021-8F62-4A36-8CC8-9994FE6E4AA7.jpg (99.9 KB, 0 views)

Old September 23rd, 2018, 08:02 PM   #22
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Frankly, you're describing a maxi-scooter.

- No/little wind on legs, hands, and chest
- A comfortable ride you can easily 2-up when needed
- Decent gas mileage
- Don't feel the need to punch it
- Chill

The BMW C650 and Suzuki Burgman 650 both make north of 50 horsepower, get over 50 mpg, have as much wind protection as it's possible to get short of just driving a car, and there's no way you're ever going to want to punch it. It doesn't get more chill than that.

If your instinct is to dismiss this idea out of hand.... well, deep down you've also got some emotional drivers to match the rational ones you've expressed. What creates "I'll never ride one of those" lists is all about emotion.
Can't do a scooter! I just remember the ninja barely able to block any wind off of me unless I was full tuck. So I'm thinking a cruiser instead to at least be more comfortable.

Old September 24th, 2018, 07:22 AM   #23
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Can't do a scooter! I just remember the ninja barely able to block any wind off of me unless I was full tuck. So I'm thinking a cruiser instead to at least be more comfortable.
Sounds like an ex-police old school KZ1000 with a windscreen would fit the bill. Highway Patrol would ride them for hours on the freeway.

Super comfortable seat and it even comes with a front and back rocker shifter.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2018, 09:06 AM   #24
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Be careful with cruisers, I'm on my 2nd one. First was a 1997 Harley Sportster 883 that had the middle controls. Second is a 2006 Sportster 1200 with the forward controls.

I've found with the very foot forward position, while it feels comfortable at first, tends to shift all my weight onto my tailbone. I can't spend near as much time in the saddle on my 1200 as I did on the 883. And both of them had/have Harley Sundowner touring seats.

I'm looking for some mid controls and bars to get me a bit more upright.

Another thing to consider, while it's easy to put a windshield on a cruiser, you have to be very careful in choosing the windshield height, those tombstone style windshields are notorious for causing buffeting.

Old September 24th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

I second this.

My first bike was a 1983 Suzuki GS650GL exactly like this one, down to the color:

This was from an unfortunate era in the early 80s during which the Japanese, in an effort to win American market share, took otherwise excellent Universal Japanese Motorcycles, put high handlebars and stepped seats on them, and tried to pass them off as cruisers.

It was not comfortable, especially over long distances. It was not maneuverable. I bought it in March and rode it in cold weather... and my lasting memory of that time was how freakin' cold my knees got. Neck too, but you're talking about putting a honkin' huge windshield on the thing.

You may have read some posts of mine about seating ergonomics and how I find sportbike ergos surprisingly comfortable. The trick is to perch, get the weight off your butt and carry it on your thighs. I've described how you can simulate the position by sitting in a hard chair, perched near the front edge with your feet underneath you.

By random chance, this article appeared in my news feed this morning, and it describes EXACTLY that.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...hat-you-can-do

Sitting like this is pretty much impossible on a cruiser. Your spine is in a C shape, all your weight is on your a$$ and overall it's about the worst seating position possible from an ergonomic standpoint.

Old September 25th, 2018, 07:12 AM   #26
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I have ridden a little bit of everything. Sportbikes, nakeds, ADV bikes, cruisers, dirt bikes, minis, even scooters ..... there is nothing that is on my "no ride list". Seems a silly principle to me. There are preferences that everyone has - sure but to be so prejudice against a style or brand to swear it off seems odd to me.

Now there are also plenty of these same bikes I have ridden that afterwards I thought: I wouldn't spend my money on it and put it in my garage. Either because it doesn't fit my budget, needs, value criteria, whatever.

To each his own ... it is one of the things that makes motorcycling great. People acting on silly prejudice against anything that is not "his own" is also can be a real blot on the motorcycling scene.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2018, 04:41 PM   #27
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I just found a '81 CB750 on craigslist for $650 Hmmmm Wish I could get it!

Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:27 PM   #28
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I have ridden a little bit of everything. Sportbikes, nakeds, ADV bikes, cruisers, dirt bikes, minis, even scooters ..... there is nothing that is on my "no ride list". Seems a silly principle to me. There are preferences that everyone has - sure but to be so prejudice against a style or brand to swear it off seems odd to me.

Now there are also plenty of these same bikes I have ridden that afterwards I thought: I wouldn't spend my money on it and put it in my garage. Either because it doesn't fit my budget, needs, value criteria, whatever.

To each his own ... it is one of the things that makes motorcycling great. People acting on silly prejudice against anything that is not "his own" is also can be a real blot on the motorcycling scene.
My no ride list is mainly to avoid stupid shenanigans.

Old October 3rd, 2018, 08:03 PM   #29
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Be careful with cruisers, I'm on my 2nd one. First was a 1997 Harley Sportster 883 that had the middle controls. Second is a 2006 Sportster 1200 with the forward controls.

I've found with the very foot forward position, while it feels comfortable at first, tends to shift all my weight onto my tailbone. I can't spend near as much time in the saddle on my 1200 as I did on the 883. And both of them had/have Harley Sundowner touring seats.

I'm looking for some mid controls and bars to get me a bit more upright.

Another thing to consider, while it's easy to put a windshield on a cruiser, you have to be very careful in choosing the windshield height, those tombstone style windshields are notorious for causing buffeting.
That is weird. I rode a Sportster 1200 back in like '09 or so all day and loved the ride. Loved the bike too.

Old October 3rd, 2018, 10:13 PM   #30
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

wut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cr500 cafe racer.jpg (34.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg cr500 cafe racer2.jpg (42.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05829.jpg (137.3 KB, 3 views)

Old October 4th, 2018, 09:23 PM   #31
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

24hrs later... it's a CR500 engine and someone got creative with the fuel tank and supermoto wheels/tires... the third pic looks like someone got realllly creative and put some sort of snowmobiling sled track thing on the bike.

BRB building supermoto wheels.

Old October 5th, 2018, 10:33 AM   #32
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

For me the engine has to be interesting. I need to be attracted to the engine before the motorcycle becomes interesting to me.

V-4 engine = the most interesting.

high-revving inline 4 cylinder = almost as attractive as a V-4.

In the "everything else" (but still likable) bucket: V-twins, parallel twins, triples, etc.

Singles are out, can't get interested.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2018, 03:55 PM   #33
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post

Singles are out, can't get interested.
I like thumpers!
Torquey, simple, reliable.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #34
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Dang, I love the sound of a larger displacement single. hahaha

I am pretty open to engines. I'd have to say the V4 is one of the best sounds out there. Ducati's motors are pretty sweet as well. V-twins and Paraellel twins are behind that, with i-4s being last. I just hear so many supersport bikes around here I could care less. HOWEVER, Yamaha's cross-plane crank design gives theirs character, so I'm down with that one.

Old October 6th, 2018, 05:02 AM   #35
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I just picked up a 04 Honda 599 last week for $1600, I've forgotten how much fun a small displacement inline-4 with wider handlebar can be.

I put a windscreen from my previous bike on it.. not the best looking but sure is fun to ride compare to my other Hondas.

All four bikes combined cost under $11k.

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2018, 07:08 AM   #36
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I just picked up a 04 Honda 599 last week for $1600, I've forgotten how much fun a small displacement inline-4 with wider handlebar can be.

I put a windscreen from my previous bike on it.. not the best looking but sure is fun to ride compare to my other Hondas.

All four bikes combined cost under $11k.

Quite the line up. I like it
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2018, 07:42 AM   #37
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
That is weird. I rode a Sportster 1200 back in like '09 or so all day and loved the ride. Loved the bike too.
Which foot pegs and bars did it have?

My 1997 had the mid mount pegs which are a more standard position, my 2006 has the forward pegs with stretch your legs out in front of you and lean you back more in the typical "Cruiser" position. The mid mount pegs are much more comfortable for me. I did almost 400 miles on my 2006 on Friday, on the long highway stretches I often put my feet back on the passenger pegs, tucks the legs up kind of like a sport bike, but it shifts the weight off the tailbone. By occasionally switching positions it keeps the pain away.

Old October 8th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #38
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Quite the line up. I like it
Thanks.

I used to have a good mix of engine configurations..
including V-twins, transverse V-twins (Honda & Moto Guzzi),
BMW (transverse) inline-3 & 4,
Boxer engine and even a Boxer 4 engine among the flock, but settled for the reliability of Hondas for long term operation.

Used to have a number of thumpers, too.
KTM 660 Rallye, BMW F650, XR650R, DRZ400S, WR450F & WR250F, KLX300 (all street legal).

For street riding, the thumper engine gets old rather quickly for sustained highway operations.
Kinda feel like a shaken paint can when you get off the bike; the older I get, the more difficult to step off from a thumper after a long ride.
Similarly Ducati & HDs, therefore no so ideal for two-up riding.

Last futzed with by "A"; October 8th, 2018 at 09:42 AM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2018, 05:14 PM   #39
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Which foot pegs and bars did it have?

My 1997 had the mid mount pegs which are a more standard position, my 2006 has the forward pegs with stretch your legs out in front of you and lean you back more in the typical "Cruiser" position. The mid mount pegs are much more comfortable for me. I did almost 400 miles on my 2006 on Friday, on the long highway stretches I often put my feet back on the passenger pegs, tucks the legs up kind of like a sport bike, but it shifts the weight off the tailbone. By occasionally switching positions it keeps the pain away.
The pic I have from the ride. Not sure if you can tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DD59D911-B37E-477A-B760-B991034561F4.jpeg (67.6 KB, 4 views)

Old October 9th, 2018, 08:03 AM   #40
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
The pic I have from the ride. Not sure if you can tell.
That's the Sportster Classic with the forward controls.