ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 4th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #1
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Barnett Clutch Kit

Does anyone have any experience with these? Does the black/blue plate go first or last?

tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Better call them and ask. I have used these kits a lot and never seen a black clutch plate. I don't think it matters. But better check with Bennett

Old July 5th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

A quick Google returned this:

http://www.barnettclutches.com/servi....aspx?faq_id=6

It's just a general FYI for clutch service from Barnett, not specific to the bike. Looks like bike specific instructions may be enclosed with kit. Have your taken bike apart yet? Does it have a blue/black plate in it originally? I haven't gotten to mine yet, so I don't know specifically. Obviously Racer X is a good resource as I'm sure he has seen his fair share of 250 clutch kits...let us know how it turns out. I've been eye balling this kit mainly cause I want to upgrade/replace the clutch in my bike.

Old July 6th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #4
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

I sent Barnett an email. Their reply can be found below. I'll post a little review of the kevlar clutch for road use in a few hours.

"Bradley, the plates are in fact exactly the same. Makes no difference how you install them. The difference in the color is just that they are from different lots. The green and black adhesives are just different
ones that were used at different time. The greenish color is the one we are using at present. Both work equally well. The blue/black color was discontinued due to EPA regulations here in the ‘wonderful. state
of California! If you look at the dates on the individual bags, you’ll see the one plate was made at a different time...."

Old July 6th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Are you upgrading the clutch springs themselves as well?

Quote:
Upgrading to performance clutch springs by Ghostt

Choosing Clutch Springs

Barnett aftermarket clutch springs for a 1985-1989 ZX-600, Part # 501-50-05055. You can view them online at the Barnett catalog, here: http://www.barnettclutches.com/produ...&clutch_cc=600 They can be ordered through your local dealership, or at a number of online sources. Here is one such online catalog: http://www.exoticsportbike.com/6001.htm

Another option is the EBC CSK10 (see http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_..._springs.shtml). This kit isn't quite as stiff as the Barnett, but is better than stock and usually a little cheaper. The kit does include six springs, while the ninja 250 only uses four.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #6
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Are you upgrading the clutch springs themselves as well?
Yes, new frictions, steels and springs. I've had the kit for a while now, just been waiting for the moment when the old clutch needed replacing.

The Barnett clutch is as smooth as OEM. The force required to pull the clutch lever back is about 50% more with the new springs but its not so hard that you will get tired in city peak hour traffic. Seems like a pretty good replacement for the stock set-up.

Old July 7th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

The weak link so to speak of is the springs, the plates and steels Kawasaki uses in the Ninjette bigger brother's like the KZ1000 ETC...

Kawasaki uses weaker springs, due to its a beginner's bike, this causes could cause slippage at high RPMs, as experienced with the EX500.

Upgrading to the ZX600 springs is a common upgrade on the EX, and I believe it should be as well on the Ninjette as well.

And we must also keep in mind that the Ninjette only uses 4 springs!! So it needs all the help it can get.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #8
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I am thinking about having a custom cover and clutch drum made. I would like to use a zx6 clutch. The release mechanics would probably need to be changed to hydronic and a new side cover would need to be fabricated. It's about 1400 bucks from what people tell me.

Old July 7th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I am thinking about having a custom cover and clutch drum made. I would like to use a zx6 clutch. The release mechanics would probably need to be changed to hydronic and a new side cover would need to be fabricated. It's about 1400 bucks from what people tell me.
Would be awesome to see, but not at that cost, too bad.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 7th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Yes a bit pricy. Five or six springs are the thing that is needed. Or a lock up. But that requires a new cover also. That is the money part

Old July 7th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Yes a bit pricy. Five or six springs are the thing that is needed. Or a lock up. But that requires a new cover also. That is the money part
I've done the spring modification to both my EX and Ninjette it's definitely worth while investment.

ZX-2R BLOG