ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

New rider: Pls critque my gear!!

Hey guys, I'm new to riding and as well as this Forum. I've tried some of the gear out, and I like it, but I'd like to hear for those who have ridden in it and what to expect, so here it goes:

I've got a Shark RSI Skylon helmet, A* SM-X vented riding boots, A* TR-C Airflow textile jacket, A* SP-1 gloves..

I'm still looking for a nice pair of textile pants I could wear to class, but since I'm in GA, could also have good airflow in 90+ degree summers. Thanks!
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #2
kkim

Nathan,

have you seen this post for some ideas?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9694
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Thanks, I hadn't seen that, but I got some good ideas for some pants off there..It's good to see I'm not the only one riding with the A* boots, but I didn't see anyone else with the same gear, so I'll cross my fingers I got decent stuff.

Old March 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

sounds like some decent stuff you've picked out.

i didn't look up those gloves, but its very important that your gloves have a wrist closure system/strap. the last thing you want is your gloves coming off when you're sliding down the road. put them on and see if you can pull them off without un-doing the strap.

i know some of those alpinestarts gloves don't have the wrist strap for some reason.

you're going to love those boots.

Old March 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #5
ARF07
ninjette.org member

I appreciate the feedback. The gloves are their entry level racing gloves but mostly considered top tier street gloves (per Captain Muscles of Sportbike Track Gear) and they're double velcro gauntlet gloves. The boots are going to take getting used to since they're nothing like the sneakers I'm used to.

Old March 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #6
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Full face helmet?
Jacket w/ Armor?
Back Protector?
Gauntlets?
Riding Pants?
Boots?

Overall, good selection on gear. Got the full gauntlets w/ armor, riding boots, and pretty good jacket. More than the average newb would have. Might need a little more if you're going to be doing more than just commuting. Wanting to ride canyons? Maybe you should look into getting leathers. Going to the track? You should have leathers. Just riding around? What you have right now will do just fine. You might want to look into getting the T-Pro Forcefield L2 as a back protector for racing/canyons. They were the best rated in various publications, and the Kushitani store over at Marina Del Rey endorses them as well.

Old March 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #7
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Have you considered perforated leather jacket over the Air-Flo "textile" A* jacket? AFAIK, Alpinestar's Air-Flo jackets are basically mesh. Generally, Leather > Textile > Mesh.

My perf. leather Dainese jacket flows a TON of air... also, try looking up Fieldsheer Flex... it's basically their top of the line leather jacket.. very stylish, FULLY perfrorated, and comes with CE rated shoulder, elbow/forearm, and BACK armor along with padding on the chest and other impact areas... very comprehensive protection, while flowing a ton of air and can be had for around $312 shipped.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Thanks ARc and muffinman for the replies, it helps a lot..as far as a back protector, I was looking into the Knox Contour simple because I heard it was top of the line. Do you know how the T-Pro Forcefield L2 compares to that safety wise? I'm too new at this to do too many canyon rides (not that GA has a ton of canyons ) but yea, it's mostly just commuting+riding for fun..some in town, but mostly back roads/country.

I've already bought the A* jacket..I guess I probably should have done this before I bought it, but chances are I'll go down/buy a second one, so I'll keep in mind what you said. Much appreciated

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i have the alpinestars smx5 vented boots as well. love them. after they broke in, they became slightly loose, but other than that, they are really comfortable. i can walk around the mall with no problem. plus i feel well protected.

those sp-1's look great. i am looking for a* gauntlets as my next pair. right now i got the a*octane s-moto gloves. the only thing about the sp-1s is that i am not sure how good the carbon fiber is as far as knuckle protection goes. seems more like a marketing thing... idk. i am a newbie too.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote