ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

i need help, again ):

so after my fall yesterday (messing up my new bike, road rash on leg and side)
i got on my bike today and felt very uncomfortable.

I don't feel safe at all, i feel like anything could send my flying again, i don't have any confidence at all. I want to ride still, but I want to be safe. I was only riding for 30 minutes and I freaked out about every little bump, turn, stop, then i got stuck in a false neutral when making a left on a main street. that definitely didnt help at all. what do i do? i'm gona get back on tomorrow but I feel so out of control. it has been a very frustrating summer and i thought it would get better when i got my bike, but i cant seem do any thing right at all

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I felt like that today too. I've been feeling like that alot lately after going for a ride with lockie. We went to a place where there was unexpected turns with loose gravel and felt my rear slide a couple of time so now everytime i see a turn i get nervous. I'm trying to break that by squeezing the tank with my legs so my arm will loosen up. Hope this feeling passes for you and try to relax and enjoy the ride.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM   #3
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

ive been squeezing the tank tighter also, but i cant seem to shake the feeling of being completely helpless. I feel like i have no control at all. I hope you get over this feeling as well, let me know if you find anything that helps. When i first got my bike i never thought id feel this way, now i barely want to look at it, i feel like i let myself and the bike down.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
kkim

stay off the bike for a week. at that time, see if you want to continue riding or sell it.

confidence when riding is a large part of being able to control the bike and the situation. feeling as you do, you are asking for another episode.

do the smart thing, stay off the road, take the time to regroup mentally and work from there. do a lot of reading, studying and soul searching during that time so you can make a decision that's right for you.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

You have to remember that this happened when the ground was wet. Stock tires aren't very good in wet weather. You can either buy better tires or not ride when the ground it wet and build up your confidence by riding everyday.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

How did you drop your bike? The other thread mentions you practicing clutch control in a wet parking lot and going down, but how do you think it actually happened?

Did you lean and slide out, grab too much front brake, blip the throttle?
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:05 PM   #7
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

it was probably too much on the front break

i know this is something i want to do because last week when i was riding confidently, i
was loving it, grinning from ear to ear everytime i shifted gears, took corners, hills, anything

kkim is right and i shouldnt be on the road feeling the way i do, but when im not on the bike i want to get on, and then wehn i was on, within 5 minutes i wanted off...

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #8
kkim

by taking a week off, it should light the fire to get back on and learn. if it doesn't, you really need to evaluate if riding is for you.

riding a bike is about having a passion for the sport. If you are tentative and question your moves when on the road, you endanger yourself as well as others around you. Get over your "oops", learn from it and move on. No one can do help you do that but yourself.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #9
sketch
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Sorry to hear about this man. I'm new to the forum so not sure how much experience you have on a bike or how exactly the fall occurred but have you been riding just on normal roads since then? I have no experience so take this FWIW but have you tried just going to a big empty parking lot since then to continue practicing to help get your confidence back? Best of luck. Hope everything turns out fine for you.
sketch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM   #10
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
it was probably too much on the front break

i know this is something i want to do because last week when i was riding confidently, i
was loving it, grinning from ear to ear everytime i shifted gears, took corners, hills, anything

kkim is right and i shouldnt be on the road feeling the way i do, but when im not on the bike i want to get on, and then wehn i was on, within 5 minutes i wanted off...
If you know it was grabbing the front brake, then you know how it happened and what you need to work on to reduce the chance of it happening again. As well, I don't think you mentioned what you were wearing at the time, but if you can add some armor / riding pants to your gear, then you are going to be better protected.

What I'm getting at is if you analyze the event (but not over-analyze) you learn from it and know what to do differently in the future. That's good!

I agree with kkim, take a few days until you relax and aren't feeling afraid of the bike. Then start with a few slow parking lot rides (on dry pavement) and see how it feels.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #11
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

for leg wear i was wearing jeans, but i had my boots, gloves, and helmet, i took my mesh jacket off because "i was just practicing" and i fell during my msf course and was fine without a jacket. never going anywhere without the jacket again...

i was wearing everything today, but at every corner, or stop, or pot hole, so many things ran through my head and at points i was terrified.

im sure the feeling will go away, i think i just needed to talk about it

i really appreciate the help guys.

and btw sketch, welcome to the forum buddy.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The best advice I can give you is to find other people in your area that ride bikes. explain to them that you are new to riding and are a bit nervous. Someone in the group will take you under there wing and give you tips on being a more confident rider.
Good luck with that and be safe.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #13
sketch
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:

and btw sketch, welcome to the forum buddy.
Thanks, brother. Happy to be here.
sketch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM   #14
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Sorry to beat the dead horse some more but everyone is right. Take time off and just relax...if you think too hard about what happened your gunna freak yourself out. In about a week head over to an empty parking lot when its dry with your gear and practice the msf stuff. Its simple stuff and it should build your confidence which is needed while motoring around.

Like kelly said,do some reading and educate yourself to minimize the chances of this happening again. If your still aprehensive, think about patting yourself on the back for trying something new and maybe think about calling it a day...

Hope it doesn't come to that and you overcome this and enjoy this great sport and everything it has to offer
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM   #15
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Get over your "oops", learn from it and move on. No one can do help you do that but yourself.
Don't sell yourself short, you've posted some helpful advice.

Dark Ninja, it may not seem like it now but you learned a valuable lesson on the cheap. I'd say that fear you have is your brain coming to the true realization of what you are doing (riding a motorcycle) and that it is dangerous....you've heard that, of course, but now, you know it.

And don't beat yourself up too much about dropping a brand new bike...keep reading these ninja250 forums for a while, you'll find it's a very common occurance. This was my first 'brand new' bike, I've put probably 100k miles on other bikes, lifetime, and I dropped this thing within six months...live and learn.

Yeah, take a few days to think about it, then go for a nice, easy ride.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #16
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 2010 yamaha fz6r raven

take a break like kelly said, when my brother went down, i felt like crap, my confidence was shot, i was nervous when i was riding and all i can think of is my brother going down. i took a couple of days off to let it all soak in then i got back in the saddle. take your time and it will all come back to you.
richierich781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #17
JMIrrobali
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): Ninja Ex250 09'

As far as atttaching the blinker is concerned, it's really easy. You have two wires, ones green and ones black, at the end of the wire, you have a metal attachement. This metal attachment has a space at the end of it. Ok, get the blinker, remove the screw from the shelter, this will take of the clear lens off. Take the light and its shelther out. When you look at the shelter for the light, there are two metal slides, one on each side that the green and black wire slide unto. Just slide the wires unto the metal piece, again, one on each side, and you are good to go. If need be I can take pictures to show you, but that shouldn't be necessary. BTW, don't worry, everyone drops their bike, it's a part of the learning experience, I know how crummy you feel, but better to learn now, than fail later. Best of luck, let me know how it goes.
JMIrrobali is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM   #18
shporsche
ninjette.org member

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 09

Mate I feel your pain.

2 years ago I nearly lost my life on a dirt bike. I lost control at 80km and went strait into a barb wire fence.
Cut my neck open pretty bad.

5 to 6 months later I couldn't bare the sound let alone getting on a motorbike.
1 year in I wanted to overcome my issue, so I thought the best way is to be eased back on the bike.

For me it was the pre-learner course here in Aus.
Its a 2 day course, and they dont make you start the motor until the second day.
By the end of that, I had enough confidence to atleast ride the bike.

I then read a thing on a race rider and he was saying that most of the faster riders are the one's who take risks.
Not that I was going to go out and do 200km everywere, I felt I needed to push the limit on what I was comfortable doing with the bike.

So I asked one of the quick riders from a local forum to take me out and teach me a few things whilst at speed.
It was hard at the start but I just kept going, anytime I felt something weird I would ask him if its a problem.

2 to 3 months down the track, I had heaps of confidence.
Dragging my knee at the local track, riding on full revs most the time (now I want a bigger and faster bike), and getting the rear end loose coming in and out of corners.

I have so much confidence that I was cought doing 50 over in a 60 zone.
Now I dont have it for 6 months.
Enough time to loose my sense of urgency, that I never had right at the start.
shporsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #19
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Thanks everyone, i guess I'll have to take a break for a bit, im gona go back to the parking lot today and if i still feel uncomfortable ill have to stay off for a few days, but i hope i'll b alright, i really cant stand to think that i finally got my bike, dropped it, and now i have no confidence so i can't ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMIrrobali View Post
As far as atttaching the blinker is concerned, it's really easy. You have two wires, ones green and ones black, at the end of the wire, you have a metal attachement. This metal attachment has a space at the end of it. Ok, get the blinker, remove the screw from the shelter, this will take of the clear lens off. Take the light and its shelther out. When you look at the shelter for the light, there are two metal slides, one on each side that the green and black wire slide unto. Just slide the wires unto the metal piece, again, one on each side, and you are good to go. If need be I can take pictures to show you, but that shouldn't be necessary. BTW, don't worry, everyone drops their bike, it's a part of the learning experience, I know how crummy you feel, but better to learn now, than fail later. Best of luck, let me know how it goes.
Thanks for the help, thats exactly what I needed to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shporsche View Post
Mate I feel your pain.
2 years ago I nearly lost my life on a dirt bike. I lost control at 80km and went strait into a barb wire fence.
Cut my neck open pretty bad.
I have so much confidence that I was cought doing 50 over in a 60 zone.
Now I dont have it for 6 months.
Enough time to loose my sense of urgency, that I never had right at the start.
Thats pretty inspiring to hear, I'm sorry about your fall though. I hope I can rebuild my confidence like that.

Thank you so much guys.

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #20
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

It's pretty much been said. You know what you need to do. Just remember all the time you've spent on two wheels where you took corners just fine, where nothing slipped out, and where you were in control. Bottom line, you ARE in control. You're in control of your judgement to go riding in the rain. You're in control of what oily spots in that parking lot you ride over. You're in control all the time. It's your inputs that affect how your bike handles, and your observation of what you're riding on that determines if you see that gravely patch in the corner or that oily spot in the lot.

You're perfectly capapble of riding. When you understand exactly what you did and what went wrong, you'll know what not to do, and you'll be fine again.

Don't worry about dumping the bike. Better this new ninja than a new ZX6R. Be happy you have SOMETHING to ride, take pride in it, keep it well maintained, and it won't care that you gave it a boo boo Besides, "It was like that when I bought it."
elars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #21
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

One thing is dont ride scared ride smart(take it easy), if you are worrying to much about eating **** it will only make it worse. Gear up and relax, build up your confidence and your mind will be more at ease. Take routes that are less stressfull and enjoy being in the open air almost like flying on a cloud tell Shiela you will take care of her and she will take care of you...
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #22
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Take Kelly advice. However, while you are taking the week off, go to the library and read some books on rider skills (hopefully they have some) and work on your bike. Clean and polish, check fluids, check air pressures, this way you won't look at your bike as a foreign object but as something you take pride in. Besides, should you decide to sell it it will be clean and polished, looking great for the next owner.

Old August 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #23
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Take Kelly advice. However, while you are taking the week off, go to the library and read some books on rider skills (hopefully they have some) and work on your bike. Clean and polish, check fluids, check air pressures, this way you won't look at your bike as a foreign object but as something you take pride in. Besides, should you decide to sell it it will be clean and polished, looking great for the next owner.
Very good point, while taking the time off, i can learn everything i wanted to about my bike but ddint have time to do because i wanted to ride instead

maybe this won't be so bad. I'm sure I won't decide to sell it, I've put too much work into this and wouldn't have come this far if I didn't want to, I'm also not one to give up so easily, but Sheila could definitely use a good polishing after the incident (I already tried to get the marks out but it seems im gona have some more spare time anyway)

the phrase "looking great for the next owner" breaks my heart

Old August 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #24
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

AJ - it took me a while to be comfortable after my oops... I ran into a fence and the only thing I saw when it happened was my son's face - I still am prone to getting teary before a ride if he's extra sweet or clingy. I totally understand the fear with going back out - just give it a few days, and read the ride reports in the mean time that folks have posted up on here - that will make you want to get back out for sure! Look on Sunny's blog for a great report from the weekend!

Old August 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #25
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
AJ, Proficient Motorcycling is a GREAT first read...Second to that, Total Control is also amazing, but start with Prof. Moto. You'll learn a ton and feel more confident. Good luck!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #26
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Get a 1 piece leather suit, so you're not scared of falling ,

Seriously though, just relax, take your time with it. I've been in that position too, I went down & broke my kneecap, and I was very concerned about getting on a bike again.

But at the same time i was thinking, this is a great excuse to go get a ninja 250 , so I got some leather pants, (I went down in textile) and got back up on the horse, 8500 kms later, I'm feeling very comfortable on it. It didn't start out that way though, when I was first on it, I was worried about going down, wouldn't take it on the highway, wouldn't go out when there was a lot of traffic. I eased my way back onto the bike, and I'm glad I did.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #27
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

aj , Have you taken the MSF? If not, that might be what you need to get your confidence back...

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #28
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
AJ - it took me a while to be comfortable after my oops... I ran into a fence and the only thing I saw when it happened was my son's face - I still am prone to getting teary before a ride if he's extra sweet or clingy. I totally understand the fear with going back out - just give it a few days, and read the ride reports in the mean time that folks have posted up on here - that will make you want to get back out for sure! Look on Sunny's blog for a great report from the weekend!
Yea i just read about your fence post incident in the "dropped my ninja" poll.
I didn't want to wait, i got back on today, but im starting from the very beginning. I think the MSF gave me too much confidence and it was only a matter of time till i went down like that because of it. Thank god it was in a parking lot not a street. Im taking it as a warning and i'm glad it happened. I need some advice on repairing my bike thought but that'll be another thread ( i need to keep things organized... im very OCD lol) I appreciate your concern and I will definitely update this thread tomorrow with what I end up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
AJ, Proficient Motorcycling is a GREAT first read...Second to that, Total Control is also amazing, but start with Prof. Moto. You'll learn a ton and feel more confident. Good luck!
Chamus57 recommended Total Control also, i think im gona look into that, I was just reading my MSF book also. Thanks for the luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
Get a 1 piece leather suit, so you're not scared of falling ,

Seriously though, just relax, take your time with it. I've been in that position too, I went down & broke my kneecap, and I was very concerned about getting on a bike again.

But at the same time i was thinking, this is a great excuse to go get a ninja 250 , so I got some leather pants, (I went down in textile) and got back up on the horse, 8500 kms later, I'm feeling very comfortable on it. It didn't start out that way though, when I was first on it, I was worried about going down, wouldn't take it on the highway, wouldn't go out when there was a lot of traffic. I eased my way back onto the bike, and I'm glad I did.
I wish I had the money for leathers but I cant say I do right now ): between the bike, insurance, helmet, gloves, mesh jacket and boots... I just hope i get good at this soon because I'm gona go broke on the gas prices for my car alone.

Your experience is inspiring to me, to know that it is possible to go from being terrified to being safe and confident. I'm sure it is a long road but I am going to stick with it (now that I know it is possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
aj , Have you taken the MSF? If not, that might be what you need to get your confidence back...
Yes I have taken a MSF course... fell during that too ): sometimes I feel like this just isn't for me.. but maybe I just need to learn things the hard way.
I am considering retaking the class even though I passed the first time. It wasnt a bad experience and im sure it'll be more the second time around considering I know what the instructors are going to have me do instead of spending 30 minutes asking everyone "WHAT DID HE SAY??" haha.

I normally have low confidence in myself (outside of riding) and tend to be discouraged easily.. which is a personal problem im learning to deal with, but hopefully this whole experience will help me be a better rider and deal with some personal issues as well. Thanks for the consideration Strider

Old August 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #29
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Great discussion....

I too am new to riding this summer and I'm really enjoying riding in New Brunswick where the roads are better than back in Labrador, my non-summer residence.

KK's advice is good. Take a break, but as CC s'says don't forget the bike. Work on it. Polish, clean, check the bolts and the chain. That builds confidence. Then get on again... on one of those cool days, maybe early in the morning when it's just you and the early morning light. Find a quiet road with a few wide curves and simply enjoy. Re-acquaint yourself with why you liked this in the first place.

Good Luck
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #30
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Man I suggest taking a mountain bike out a few times. I don't know how much carry over you get from bicycling to motorcycling, but from going over lots of rocks, bumps, and gravel on a narrow, winding, downhill dirt trail, I've taken quite a few spills, but also learned how to deal with both the conditions AND the spills, and I feel it helps with the mental and physical aspect of dealing with road obstacles, although I'm sure the sensation is nothing like going down on the road (which I haven't done yet, knock on wood). But being on two wheels in such a seemingly unstable environment for two wheels might help you shore up more confidence for pavement.

However you choose to get back on a bike, I hope it works for you!
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #31
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Quote:
Yes I have taken a MSF course... fell during that too ): sometimes I feel like this just isn't for me.. but maybe I just need to learn things the hard way.
I am considering retaking the class even though I passed the first time. It wasnt a bad experience and im sure it'll be more the second time around considering I know what the instructors are going to have me do instead of spending 30 minutes asking everyone "WHAT DID HE SAY??" haha.

I normally have low confidence in myself (outside of riding) and tend to be discouraged easily.. which is a personal problem im learning to deal with, but hopefully this whole experience will help me be a better rider and deal with some personal issues as well. Thanks for the consideration Strider

It couldn't hurt to take it again, I'm going to take one again since it's been so long since I took mine ...
Anything to boost confidence is a plus!
And as suggested in others posts, do some dirt riding if you can, if for nothing else do it for the fun factor!

Hang in there pal!