ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Can thinner oil cause engine ticking??

I have noticed a new tick tick tick noise recently which is only there when the engine is cold. I recently switched to synthetic 5W40 oil and another rider told me the thinner oil could be a cause for this.
He said the oil probably isn't sticking to the internal parts as well when its cold due to thiness and it sounds like the noise is a dry cam chain...
Any ideas? At first I though CCT but its fine when warm and at operating temperatures...I think I will switch back to 10W40 and see how that goes.

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
use the correct oil.

unless you want this:

Old June 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #3
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Why did you switch to 5W30?

Old June 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
I have noticed a new tick tick tick noise recently which is only there when the engine is cold. I recently switched to synthetic 5W40 oil and another rider told me the thinner oil could be a cause for this.
He said the oil probably isn't sticking to the internal parts as well when its cold due to thiness and it sounds like the noise is a dry cam chain...
Any ideas? At first I though CCT but its fine when warm and at operating temperatures...I think I will switch back to 10W40 and see how that goes.
While 5W40 is thinner than 10W40 at cold temperatures (hence the 5W vs 10W), it is never thinner than the specified SAE40 is at hot temperatures.

Our engines tick, it's normal.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #5
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
Why did you switch to 5W30?
rotella T6 synthetic was on sale and I had credit with the store I got it from, also I've heard its a good oil in bikes...previously I was running 10W40 Motul 5100 and will switch back to that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynjay View Post
While 5W40 is thinner than 10W40 at cold temperatures (hence the 5W vs 10W), it is never thinner than the specified SAE40 is at hot temperatures.

I understand the cold part thats why I emphasized the ticking is only occuring when cold...
Also its not the normal consistent ticking we get, I've been hearing that noise for over 10k miles...its a different noise and the fact that its really hot here leads me to believe the oil which is supposedly rated for colder temps.
I'm in Toronto so its cold enough, but in the summer we get crazy hot days too. I ride the bike in the winter months too and was worried since my ride to school was only about 7-12 minutes the 10W40 probably wasn't warming up quick enough...

Old June 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #6
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
I understand the cold part thats why I emphasized the ticking is only occuring when cold...
Also its not the normal consistent ticking we get, I've been hearing that noise for over 10k miles...its a different noise and the fact that its really hot here leads me to believe the oil which is supposedly rated for colder temps.
I'm in Toronto so its cold enough, but in the summer we get crazy hot days too. I ride the bike in the winter months too and was worried since my ride to school was only about 7-12 minutes the 10W40 probably wasn't warming up quick enough...
I don't believe the oil has that much to do with the ticking. Temperature of the motor, maybe, but not the oil. Rotella T6 can handle the high temperatures just fine.

When was your last valve adjustment?
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
common maybe. correct? no.

Quote:
I don't believe the oil has that much to do with the ticking. Temperature of the motor, maybe, but not the oil. Rotella T6 can handle the high temperatures just fine.

When was your last valve adjustment?
I'm curious why you think it has nothing to do with the oil?

he changed his oil to a thinner cold weight oil. afterward, the bike ticks when cold. seems pretty obvious to me. like a previous posted said, why did you switch to 5 weight cold? just put the correct oil in it and be done with it. the engine was designed to work with a specific weight oil. putting the wrong oil in will cause damage. it could be that his bearings arent lubricated enough. it could be the cylinder wall is not staying lubricated. basically what it means is yoour engine isnt being properly lubricated because the thinner oil flows out more easily and doesnt stay up top in the head

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I get a bit of slide-slap in the carbs. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what was causing that sound.... try grabbing a stethoscope (or screwdriver) and see if you can isolate the location.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote