ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Old August 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #121
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
But to Jiggles' question, why wouldn't you ride with the choke on for the first few minutes? That's how it should be used in cold conditions. Start it on the choke, and if the bike won't idle without the choke on, leave it on while you roll away. Start dialing the choke back after a minute or two, and all is well.
As I stated, I did ride it with the choke on after a while. It still didn't help the situation. The bike sputtered with the choke the same as it did without it. Maybe relative humiddity has something to do with it as well. I just know late fall and early winter mornings caused me to hate the carbs. I didn't care for them much to begin with. Maybe my particular bike had an issue. The 84 RX-7 I had years ago used carbs and it had similar problems in cold weather, choke used or not.

As I already also mentioned, I had not one single problem firing up that TU250 on the days I decided to ride it, regardless of the temperature. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but as far as I'm concerned, carbs are a dead technology that has far exceeded its useful application, at least where on-road vehicles are concerned. The fact that the 2013 has FI makes me seriously reconsider a Ninjette for a future purchase as a commuter.

Old August 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #122
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
If you change the pilot jet to one number richer you will find the cold weather behavior much better.

I had an 85 gs with a Race Beat 13B engine. On a wet morning ice would freeze the manifold. It would stall the engine out if I did not shut it off and let it warm up some. This is a little different. The factory jets these engines way lean.

I would like to see a fifty hp 250cc four stroke. Not measured at the crank but 50 rear wheel hp. The only one I have seen is an mv Augusta with a supercharged I4.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #123
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I personally think stock carbs on a 250 makes more sense than stock EFI. And the reason is that so many people love to mod these bikes. You can't mess with the intake or exhaust on stock EFI because it has preset maps that it uses. So instead of paying $80 to rejet you're now paying $500 to mess with the ECU.

I think someone said that the 250s ECU will be adjustable, which if it is that is a MAJOR plus to going EFI on the 250 but if it's not adjustable I think more people will be hindered by the EFI over carbs.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #124
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I personally think stock carbs on a 250 makes more sense than stock EFI. And the reason is that so many people love to mod these bikes.
Great; so if you like spending time with your bike in pieces, a carb is for you. Maybe you'd like to take up collecting old MGs and Fiats too?

Also, you live in San Jose, CA, not Duluth, MN. You'd sing a different tune if you were fighting to get the #@%^@ engine to stay fired up in February, winter riding gloves on, trying to get to work on time.

I've grown up in S.B, CA and live in MI now, so I know whereof I speak. My EFI Honda was easy in winter; 5 or 95F, push the button, it starts, go. I love my Ninjette but I am not looking forward to the way carbs behave in sub-freezing weather.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #125
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

maybe i'm delusional but if the efi computer is programmable and/or automatic, tuning efi is easier and gives you a better result. if its a stock non-programmable efi unit, you can't do anything.

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #126
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
Great; so if you like spending time with your bike in pieces, a carb is for you. Maybe you'd like to take up collecting old MGs and Fiats too?

Also, you live in San Jose, CA, not Duluth, MN. You'd sing a different tune if you were fighting to get the #@%^@ engine to stay fired up in February, winter riding gloves on, trying to get to work on time.

I've grown up in S.B, CA and live in MI now, so I know whereof I speak. My EFI Honda was easy in winter; 5 or 95F, push the button, it starts, go. I love my Ninjette but I am not looking forward to the way carbs behave in sub-freezing weather.

Some people like to ride their bikes like they drive their car. Never bringing a wrench near it and taking it to a dealer to get the oil changed. I'm not one of those people and going to EFI pushes people in that direction which is lame. If my 250 had come with stock EFI I'd have never stripped it down and learned a whole bunch about my bike going into the carbs. The most in depth thing I'd have ever done is change the oil if even that. I'd never have bought an Area P pipe since it wouldn't be possible to tune the bike.

The point is working on your bike is part of riding and part of owning a bike. Part of what's awesome about the ninja 250 is that its possible to learn about working on the bike and simultaneously increase its power.

And that's why I like carbs, I've never had an issue with them and they allow you to make your bike go faster. They are customizable. And no I don't drive in sub freezing temperatures but in the winter in the morning when I would go to work the temp would be between 34-40 degrees. I never had any issues but was forced to install heated grips

Starting in the cold consists of pull choke, press start, drive away. What a hassle
AFM #676

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #127
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
efi doesnt mean anything different except: more expensive, more accurate, easier to tune. you still turn a wrench. you might have to buy a power commander boo hoo. your bike doesnt come with alternate jets

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #128
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

^^

What he said. Get with the times Jiggles. We live in a digital world now. We should be tuning our bikes with computers. Not trial and error wasting hours trying to get our carbs running perfect. And even then they aren't going to be perfect.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #129
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Uh huh, what's a power commander cost? As much as an exhaust?

Yes I'd like to tune with a computer (yay ecotrons!) but let's be honest, how many people are going to buy a power commander for their 250?

Tuning carbs is cheap, tuning EFI is not, so suck on that!
AFM #676

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #130
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Uh huh, what's a power commander cost? As much as an exhaust?

Yes I'd like to tune with a computer (yay ecotrons!) but let's be honest, how many people are going to buy a power commander for their 250?

Tuning carbs is cheap, tuning EFI is not, so suck on that!
Yeah, it's cheap and it can be time consuming where as with EFI, people can tune on the fly. It's easier for those that are not so mechanically inclined these days.

Maybe you should convert your 650 to carbs.

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #131
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Yeah, it's cheap and it can be time consuming where as with EFI, people can tune on the fly. It's easier for those that are not so mechanically inclined these days.

Maybe you should convert your 650 to carbs.
I don't have a 650

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't like EFI but on the ninja 250 I think carbs are better because you can squeeze more hp out of them for cheaper and it's a starter bike. It teaches you the fundamentals of riding as well as working on your bike.

And on larger bikes I don't think it makes a difference to squeeze out some more hp since they already have more than you can possibly use.

32hp vs 26hp is a bigger difference compared to 135hp vs 125hp

I will let you know though, that I'm going to do a ton more work on my 250 than I ever will on my 1000
AFM #676

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #132
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
There is no way the factory ECU will be programmable . That sort of thing will not pass EPA

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #133
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
There is no way the factory ECU will be programmable . That sort of thing will not pass EPA
Yea it sounded far fetched to me but I haven't dug through the supergen blogs and posts
AFM #676

Old August 7th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #134
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Name: Matz

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 FS2, XT350

You make EFI sound like some form of witchcraft! lol
Most of the system is still mechanical, there's still a throttle body with a cable actuated butterfly valve (just like a carb) and there are other, cheaper versions of power commanders to tune it. As for not being able to programme the ecu, who says you need too? Many efi tuning kits basically add another control box that intercepts the connection between the ecu and the rest of the system.
I'm not being biased I own bikes with both carbs and efi, and carbs are deffinitely easier to work on, but if your only wanting a particular system to learn about engines and the like, buy a two-stroke.
The efi also adds another advantage as the light on the dash can be used to self diagnose most electrical faults. Although I'm not sure if the carburated ones have a similar system?
I've not ridden a carb'd Ninja 250r so I don't know what the difference in throttle response would be but as most of us pretty much ride our Ninjas on their limit, I'd say it probably isn't noticable.

Old August 7th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #135
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
It's just something new to learn. I have been working on fuel injection and carbs for decades. Really it will be fine. And one thing no one mentions. The ethanol will not mess up the fuel injection parts. Carbs are made with brass jets. Ethanol attracts water . Water corrodes pilot jets . So sitting over winter is a big problem. Fuel injection has mostly stainless steel parts . So no problem.

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #136
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
maybe the us one will be locked out but i heard the indonesian guys were reflashing their ecus after adding pods and an exhaust.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #137
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Never under estamate what the Indonesian guys can do.

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #138
lgk

Quote:
Never under estamate what the Indonesian guys can do.
i never underestimate anyone, lol.
i just thought it was a factory tool, but maybe they just hacked it.

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #139
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Jason do you have a link for a company in Indonesia doing remapping for the Ninjette?

Until now I only know from one company in India, look here: http://www.bikoholic.com/2012/03/ecu...ports-for.html

Have a safe ride
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #140
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The aftermarket will take care of everything . Adding larger throttle body's and programmable ECU's . But only if Kawasaki keeps the bike consistent. The aftermarket won't make cool stuff for a two or three year production run.

Old August 7th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #141
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Jason do you have a link for a company in Indonesia doing remapping for the Ninjette?

Until now I only know from one company in India, look here: http://www.bikoholic.com/2012/03/ecu...ports-for.html

Have a safe ride
i cant seem to find the link...

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #142
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I must disagree with you here. I commuted on my 250 almost every day when I had it: hot or cold, rain or shine, it made no difference to me. The ONLY thing I hated about the '09 I had was the choice to use carburetion in the U.S. market as opposed to EFI. Dealing with having to let the bike up for as long as ten minutes before it was rideable was a pain in the ass.
The stock EFI on my 2011 ninjette doesn't handle cold temps very well. I had lots of trouble starting the bike during the coldest part of last winter. There's another EFI ninjette owner on this forum who had the same issue. I'm pretty sure the EFI has a less than optimal mapping. I'll be getting a power commander (or similar) soon to resolve that issue and to allow my bike to make use of an area p full system.

Quote:
I personally think stock carbs on a 250 makes more sense than stock EFI. And the reason is that so many people love to mod these bikes. You can't mess with the intake or exhaust on stock EFI because it has preset maps that it uses. So instead of paying $80 to rejet you're now paying $500 to mess with the ECU.
$400 for the power commander. Less from some other brands.

Quote:
Some people like to ride their bikes like they drive their car. Never bringing a wrench near it and taking it to a dealer to get the oil changed. I'm not one of those people and going to EFI pushes people in that direction which is lame.
Not lame! I'm happy to have less maintenance. It's part of the reason I bought this bike. I enjoy riding.

Maybe you'd enjoy a lego set more than a motorcycle Jiggles! That way you could spend all your time messing around taking apart and rebuilding things without ever having to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post

Have a safe ride
Oooh! Interesting info.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #143
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
The stock EFI on my 2011 ninjette doesn't handle cold temps very well. I had lots of trouble starting the bike during the coldest part of last winter. There's another EFI ninjette owner on this forum who had the same issue. I'm pretty sure the EFI has a less than optimal mapping. I'll be getting a power commander (or similar) soon to resolve that issue and to allow my bike to make use of an area p full system.

$400 for the power commander. Less from some other brands.

*snip.

Maybe you'd enjoy a lego set more than a motorcycle Jiggles! That way you could spend all your time messing around taking apart and rebuilding things without ever having to ride.
1) I love legos. Jiggles can work on my bike, I'll play with legos.

2) I've only used the ecotrons efi at 50+ F. I bet it would do fine colder, I'll just have to play with the values a little. You'll likely have to do the same with the power commander. Get that exhaust already!!! And do some research for us to see if you can successfully remove your airbox and go with a pod filter or not!!!! I'm dying to know since there seems to be a debate about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #144
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I work on my bike all the time. I rode eight miles this year.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #145
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
2) I've only used the ecotrons efi at 50+ F. I bet it would do fine colder, I'll just have to play with the values a little. You'll likely have to do the same with the power commander. Get that exhaust already!!! And do some research for us to see if you can successfully remove your airbox and go with a pod filter or not!!!! I'm dying to know since there seems to be a debate about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't wanna be the one to try something out for the first time! I want to implement something someone else has already figured out!

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #146
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
yeah but how fast were you going during those 8 miles!

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #147
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
yeah but how fast were you going during those 8 miles!
Prolly quicker than any other ninjette.org has ever been on their ninjette

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #148
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
People really like to take half my point and respond to it.
AFM #676

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #149
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
undisputed highest average speed award winner!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #150
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
People really like to take half
Yup.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #151
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Prolly quicker than any other ninjette.org has ever been on their ninjette
Forum member Shiphtey has gone 122.4 to my 121.8. But let's see what happens in September.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #152
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I don't wanna be the one to try something out for the first time! I want to implement something someone else has already figured out!
true, well at least there's a PC map from yoshi for their full system with and without the snorkle. That should get you most of the way there in one tune-up
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #153
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Why wont ABS make it to Cali?
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #154
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
Why wont ABS make it to Cali?
Everyone is too busy smoking pot

Honestly I have no idea, I'm just going by what has happened on other Kawasaki bikes

I mean if the Ninja 1000 can't be equipped with ABS in CA then why would the 650 or 250 be able to? They very well could, I mean idk why they won't allow it on the 1000 so I can't say why they wouldn't allow it on the 650 or 250.

CA is just stupid, full of stupid laws and stupid limitations
AFM #676

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #155
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nobody knows for sure if it will or won't. Kawi didn't bring the ABS model in as a cali-compliant bike for the 650 or the 1000. They still sell separate "49-state" bikes and "cali" bikes, and they didn't go through the hassle of certifying the ABS model as a cali bike.

The hope is that they choose to go through that trouble for the 250, or perhaps just call everything a 50-state bike, but we won't know for a few months.

EDIT: what jiggly said

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #156
Polygonnix
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

So I was talking to a Kawasaki Canada rep and was told that the 2013 Model shown is strictly an Asian Market, and that to stay tuned for changes that will come out in September.
Polygonnix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #157
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygonnix View Post
So I was talking to a Kawasaki Canada rep and was told that the 2013 Model shown is strictly an Asian Market, and that to stay tuned for changes that will come out in September.
Yes we know, they are making a ninja 300 special for us

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110228
AFM #676

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #158
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
As I stated, I did ride it with the choke on after a while. It still didn't help the situation. The bike sputtered with the choke the same as it did without it. Maybe relative humiddity has something to do with it as well. I just know late fall and early winter mornings caused me to hate the carbs. I didn't care for them much to begin with. Maybe my particular bike had an issue. The 84 RX-7 I had years ago used carbs and it had similar problems in cold weather, choke used or not.
i never had a problem with the carbs after i rejetted them.
the bike started just fine with choke and riding off, but my bike never warmed up...

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #159
lgk

Quote:
Yes we know, they are making a ninja 300 special for us

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110228
his first post was a troll post...
i think he'll fit in just fine, around here

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #160
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
i never had a problem with the carbs after i rejetted them.
the bike started just fine with choke and riding off, but my bike never warmed up...
Cool story. I hate carbs. I shouldn't have to do anything to any vehicle to make it function better than the factory. EFI for me on new bikes. Obviously if there are any older bikes out there that I decide I want, I will have to deal with carbs. If and when that time comes, I will deal with carbs again. I can guarantee, however, that the bike(s) in question won't be used as daily commuters in a cold environment.