ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Is this something I want to get into?

So I have been into motorcycles for years now and I literally can't stop thinking about them no matter what month of the year it is. It eats away at me everyday that I can't get one but I always have this thought in the back of my head. Is this something I really want to get into? The reason I ask is because I am 17 and of course am having trouble convincing my parents to let me ride. Now before you criticize me for not looking into this, I really have. I've made a powerpoint and written a two page single-spaced essay on motorcycles for my parents to read to show them that I know how to take the steps in reducing the risk on a motorcycle. Hell I've read the book called Motorcycle: The Visual History which is TONS of pages. So this isn't just a phase. But the other day I was on the 405 freeway and I saw a motorcycle accident and it really dawned on me...could that be me in the future? Luckily the guy wasn't killed and it wasn't all that serious as I think it was just him lane splitting and he hit a car but it still got me into deep thought. As of now I want to start on a 250 and eventually work my way up to a 600. Of course I would get the proper gear. I've accepted that they are dangerous and I really have no interest in riding crowded freeways but it just kills me that bikes intrigue me so much but I might never be able to ride them. Sorry for the long "essay" I just wrote but I really need your opinion on what you guys think I should do.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Only you know what you want to and can do. If you are determined enough and accept all the risks that come with riding a motorcycle, even the potential crash then you'll probably get one even if you have to wait until you're of legal age to make your own decisions for yourself so that you parents can't hold you back from what you really want in life.

It sounds like you're pretty passionate about it all and are going about this the right way before hopping on a 250, wrecking it and then getting an R6 like some people we've had on here haha.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Ask for forgiveness, instead of permission
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Ask for forgiveness, instead of permission
I'm sorry but i'm getting a motorcycle and there is nothing you can do from keeping me to pursue this dream.

Something like that? lol

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #5
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Only you know what you want to and can do. If you are determined enough and accept all the risks that come with riding a motorcycle, even the potential crash then you'll probably get one even if you have to wait until you're of legal age to make your own decisions for yourself so that you parents can't hold you back from what you really want in life.

It sounds like you're pretty passionate about it all and are going about this the right way before hopping on a 250, wrecking it and then getting an R6 like some people we've had on here haha.
I really don't need anything bigger than a 250 right now (Maybe the 300 because it's so nice haha) but I would eventually see myself upgrading. When/If I do take the MSF class I think I will want to get a Ninja after.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I'm sorry but i'm getting a motorcycle and there is nothing you can do from keeping me to pursue this dream.
Just putting this out there:

That method does not go over well with family relations when you start thinking about things like college and a car and things like that. It may sound all fine and dandy to just go get a bike on your own once you're 18, but then you're dealing with fire; that opens the door to your parents saying, "oh, you're old enough to buy a bike? Then you're old enough to pay rent/pay for college/pay for your own movies/get a job/move out and live on your own/pay for your own cell phone" etc etc.

If your parents aren't okay with you owning a bike, don't buy one. You're still a dependent and call their house your permanent address. It sucks, but you need to play by the rules while you live under their roof.

For some perspective, I'm 20. I bought my bike when I was barely 17. I'm currently at college, and my parents have been awesome in helping me out with that because they feel college is very important. I got lucky; they were alright with the motorcycle after we chatted about it and they realized that I had planned everything out and was legitimately able to properly maintain a motorcycle. If they weren't okay with a motorcycle, I would not have one now. I would be waiting until I was done with college and out on my own. That's all there is to it.

I guess it just comes down to not biting the hand that feeds you. Once you're out on your own, you can do whatever you want.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdRatherDrum View Post
I really don't need anything bigger than a 250 right now (Maybe the 300 because it's so nice haha) but I would eventually see myself upgrading. When/If I do take the MSF class I think I will want to get a Ninja after.
I love how people plan all this stuff out, ya know, before ever even riding. Have you figured out your list of mods yet?
AFM #676

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Just putting this out there:

That method does not go over well with family relations when you start thinking about things like college and a car and things like that. It may sound all fine and dandy to just go get a bike on your own once you're 18, but then you're dealing with fire; that opens the door to your parents saying, "oh, you're old enough to buy a bike? Then you're old enough to pay rent/pay for college/pay for your own movies/get a job/move out and live on your own/pay for your own cell phone" etc etc.

If your parents aren't okay with you owning a bike, don't buy one. You're still a dependent and call their house your permanent address. It sucks, but you need to play by the rules while you live under their roof.

For some perspective, I'm 20. I bought my bike when I was barely 17. I'm currently at college, and my parents have been awesome in helping me out with that because they feel college is very important. I got lucky; they were alright with the motorcycle after we chatted about it and they realized that I had planned everything out and was legitimately able to properly maintain a motorcycle. If they weren't okay with a motorcycle, I would not have one now. I would be waiting until I was done with college and out on my own. That's all there is to it.

I guess it just comes down to not biting the hand that feeds you. Once you're out on your own, you can do whatever you want.
Very good point, luckily I was 18 and just started buying my gear and scheduled my MSF course and by then they already got the picture. My mom was already okay with the idea but my dad was scared of the drivers around here so I never directly asked him about it but he used to ride when he was younger so I knew he couldn't really tell me no.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #9
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I love how people plan all this stuff out, ya know, before ever even riding. Have you figured out your list of mods yet?
I'm going to be honest and say that mods are what I am least concerned about that the moment. I will be happy to just get on the open road with a 250. Hell it could be stock for all I care. At least for awhile...

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
I'm going to be honest and say that mods are what I am least concerned about that the moment. I will be happy to just get on the open road with a 250. Hell it could be stock for all I care. At least for awhile...
It's best to become familiar with your bike and confident in both it and yourself before ever thinking about mods. But i'm pretty sure even Jiggles thought about mods before he got his bike haha. I think everyone does it a little bit, it's just exciting to think about.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #11
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

Quote:
So I have been into motorcycles for years now and I literally can't stop thinking about them no matter what month of the year it is. It eats away at me everyday that I can't get one but I always have this thought in the back of my head. Is this something I really want to get into? The reason I ask is because I am 17 and of course am having trouble convincing my parents to let me ride. Now before you criticize me for not looking into this, I really have. I've made a powerpoint and written a two page single-spaced essay on motorcycles for my parents to read to show them that I know how to take the steps in reducing the risk on a motorcycle. Hell I've read the book called Motorcycle: The Visual History which is TONS of pages. So this isn't just a phase. But the other day I was on the 405 freeway and I saw a motorcycle accident and it really dawned on me...could that be me in the future? Luckily the guy wasn't killed and it wasn't all that serious as I think it was just him lane splitting and he hit a car but it still got me into deep thought. As of now I want to start on a 250 and eventually work my way up to a 600. Of course I would get the proper gear. I've accepted that they are dangerous and I really have no interest in riding crowded freeways but it just kills me that bikes intrigue me so much but I might never be able to ride them. Sorry for the long "essay" I just wrote but I really need your opinion on what you guys think I should do.
Yes that will be you someday. You will crash and it may or may not be a serious one. If you already have a lot to worry about, don't get a motorcycle. It's fun but dangerous, and can take up a lot of time when you're first getting into it. It's also pretty expensive to pay for gear, your bike, and mods if you're into that kind of stuff. Do you have road experience? I would recommend you drive a car for at least half a year just to learn the rules of the road. I'm 16 by the way so I know how it feels to want it and not be able to have it. I've wanted a bike since I was around 12 years old.
Quote:

that's getting old..
robertkh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
It was a joke. A lot of people who have never ridden before will already have a list of modifications for their bike, before they've even learned how to ride. It's like they are more concerned with the image than actually riding.
AFM #676

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post
that's getting old..
It's like pooping yourself in school, no one forgets dude. <3

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #14
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Your almost eighteen, get a job and buy a motorcycle yourself. That will show your parents some responsibility.

As for the risk, you could be killed walking across the street, or in a car crash, or from falling space debris. It's called life. Does motorcycling come with risk, sure, but that doesn't mean you can't minimize those risks.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post
Yes that will be you someday. You will crash and it may or may not be a serious one. If you already have a lot to worry about, don't get a motorcycle. It's fun but dangerous, and can take up a lot of time when you're first getting into it. It's also pretty expensive to pay for gear, your bike, and mods if you're into that kind of stuff. Do you have road experience? I would recommend you drive a car for at least half a year just to learn the rules of the road. I'm 16 by the way so I know how it feels to want it and not be able to have it. I've wanted a bike since I was around 12 years old.

that's getting old..
I've been driving for almost 2 years now and living in LA I have experienced A TON of things. You're only 16 but you have had so many bikes! Please elaborate!

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #16
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Your almost eighteen, get a job and buy a motorcycle yourself. That will show your parents some responsibility.

As for the risk, you could be killed walking across the street, or in a car crash, or from falling space debris. It's called life. Does motorcycling come with risk, sure, but that doesn't mean you can't minimize those risks.
That's always my comeback when people say it's dangerous to ride a bike, I just tell them anything is dangerous it's just a matter of how dangerous you make it.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
I've been driving for almost 2 years now and living in LA I have experienced A TON of things. You're only 16 but you have had so many bikes! Please elaborate!
Just do a search for his threads, you'll be amused.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
It's best to become familiar with your bike and confident in both it and yourself before ever thinking about mods. But i'm pretty sure even Jiggles thought about mods before he got his bike haha. I think everyone does it a little bit, it's just exciting to think about.
Actually no. I remember getting my bike then reading on here about stuff people did to their bike. It seemed like a lot of mods were "meant" to be done to bikes. Like, it seemed like you were supposed to buy clip ons and rear sets and a new 2bros exhaust and I was like oh I guess I'm supposed to get this ****.

But I didn't do any of those stupid mods, mine were all functional
AFM #676

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
But I didn't do any of those stupid mods, mine were all functional
Until you wreck them <3

Only mod on my bike after it got backed into now is my reflective rim tape, which obviously is good for more than just looks. Oh and my own fender elimination.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #20
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

Quote:
Quote:
It's like pooping yourself in school, no one forgets dude. <3
I guess
Quote:
Totaled the first one, sold the second one to get the new ninja 300. I don't know what to tell you man..I totally know how you feel though. Every time I saw a bike on the street I got really excited. I even crashed into a tree one time while riding my bicycle because I got distracted by a bike. Honestly, if you can convince your parents than go ahead and get a 300. They have pretty good acceleration and I get compliments on the looks all the time. Just be careful and realize that people do not see you. If you do get a bike, send me a message on here and I'll give you some tips. Even though I'm nowhere close to being an expert I still know a lot because you learn a lot on two wheels.
robertkh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.............Sorry for the long "essay" I just wrote but I really need your opinion on what you guys think I should do.
How have you been into motorcycles?

What fascinates you about these machines?

Are you mechanically skilful or more the pure user type?

Could it be just an obsession of yours?

I love choneofakind's post above; I have been in his shoes when I was 18, and I have been on your parents' shoes later on in life.

Motorcycling is much more than owning a machine; it can be a very broad and complex activity if so you want it to be.

It is also very dangerous, specially street riding on areas of crazy traffic and drivers during your first times while you learn the basic skills (worse scenario).

We can reduce the risks of dying or getting hurt through practicing, studying and simply riding frequently; however, they cannot be reduced to zero.

Track riding or racing is less dangerous overall, and highly technical.

It is important that you meditate about what you expect from the hobby-sport, understand the negative aspects and the rewards.

Then, you will need to educate your parents; they are just scared to death of seeing you involved in an accident.

You cannot understand yet how difficult that authorization and support can be for any responsible parents.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Title:
Quote:
Is this something I want to get into?
Body:
Quote:
So I have been into motorcycles for years now and I literally can't stop thinking about them no matter what month of the year it is. It eats away at me everyday that I can't get one but I always have this thought in the back of my head. Is this something I really want to get into?...
Are you asking us or telling us?

I also got a little chuckle from this:
Quote:
...I've read the book called Motorcycle: The Visual History which is TONS of pages.
Anyway, I was 27 when I got my brand new Candy Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R and I spent the prior year preparing (MSF course, gear, license, dealer deposits, shopping, reading/studying). Strangely, my mother always wanted me to get one but I wasn't interested until I suddenly had the money to buy one and the need for new reliable transportation. My friends even said that I was the last person they ever expected to get a motorcycle. I couldn't imagine being on one at 17 with very little driving experience, so I understand your parents' concern. If they are too wary I would suggest waiting until you're about 22 and/or on your own and making sure you are a safe and responsible driver in the mean time.

I crept by a fatal bike accident in Atlanta when I was almost home on my trip back from the dealer (680 mile trip). Earlier I was passed by several other bikes in a couple groups as I headed into town and I'm sure it was probably one of them. I was still on my slow break-in so I didn't fall in with them when they gestured and they didn't fall back to hang with me, so I was probably really close to witnessing the horrible event happen. I saw more than I needed to see when I saw the paramedics trying to remove the helmet from a limp body and that's more than enough to scare me into riding as safe and responsibly as I reasonably can.

Give your parents reason to trust you. Develop your situational awareness and general road skills for a few years and you will gain their trust.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #23
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I bought my 2004 250 brand new a week before I turned 19. I had also been riding dirt bikes from a young age so I already knew how to ride.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #24
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

I would start on dirt bikes and track days to gain skills while commuting in a car.
This way you can learn to ride while getting street experience.

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #25
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

No offense, but I'd say if you have to ask, the answer is no. Plus anytime you actually need your parents permission, it's never really a good idea. Especially with something like this. Ridding is fantastically awesome. But it is dangerous, I'm not saying any more than anything else, but there are certain risks. Once you're a legal adult, sure you can accept those risks all by yourself, but when you're still underage, you're actually asking your parents to accept the risk of you dying or getting seriously hurt. That's something that even those of us that ARE legally allowed to make these decions on our own struggle with.

But you're a kid, so you're going to do what you want. So here is some practical advice.

-If you're parents say NO. Don't do. Even a motorcycle isn't worth getting kicked out for.
-Take the MSF. If you can't afford it, you can't afford to ride. You're way to young and way too new, to not take it.
-Buy ALL THE GEAR. ALL OF IT! Same principle, if you can't afford it, you can't afford to ride.
-Make sure you can actually afford the insurance, it'll probably be high with you only being 17.
-Once you BUY ALL THE GEAR, WEAR ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME!
-Don't be afraid to learn, and don't be embarrassed to have someone tell you you're doing it wrong, it could save your life.
-Make sure you're buying it for the right reasons. IE; you love them, cheaper to commute Not the wrong ones IE; it's cool, I need to impress my friends and get lots of "kitty cat"

Old February 14th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #26
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

My opinion is that its your parents house, and their rules. I also believe firmly that a person should have at least a few years behind the wheel of a car before they even consider a bike. Too much to worry about on a bike, without also learning how to drive on public roads. Wait until you are on your own. Paying your own way. Then buy whatever you want. Buy a cheap bike to begin with, not your dream bike. Get a feel for riding. You might like it you might not.

Don't over think things. You'll live longer.
soggybottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #27
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

That's a good point actually. I know a few people that LOVED bikes, went out and bought one, and realized it just wasn't for them. They weren't ready to accept the risks involved and just weren't comfortable.

Another great reason to take the MSF. You'll at least get a taste of whether you like being on two wheels or not.

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #28
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I think you should just get a bicycle.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #29
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I think you should just get a bicycle.
AMEN!!! QFT.

Bicycles rock. They also give you valuable experience in traffic on two-wheeled vehicle that is generally moving slower than the flow of traffic.

I know it sounds lame, but my time on a road bike starting when I was 15 really got me aware of the need to know my surroundings while on the road. It's really made me a better rider and a better driver.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #30
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

What Chris said. I have been riding a bicycle on public streets since I was a child. If you can survive riding a bike on public streets you should be able to stay alive on a motorcycle. In my experience riding a bicycle on streets with traffic is just as dangerous as riding a motorcycle.

I feel safer riding my motorcycle on the street because I have the power to get out of peoples way and away from cars.

But being on a bicycle for years has definitely helped me be a safer motorcyclist on the city streets. I have had many close calls on my motorcycle but I have had years of practice dodging cars on my bicycle so it wasn't a big deal. You just have to realize that everyone in a car is out to kill you. It is YOUR job to predict what stupid move they will do next.

Get a bicycle. Preferably a mtn bike. There's got to be some sweet trails in Cali. Get used to sliding and crashing on a mtn bike. It's much nicer to crash on a mtn bike than it is on a motorcycle.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #31
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I see what you mean when you are all saying to wait until I am on my own. The fact that it could be years though is what kills me haha. I guess I will keep dreaming and watching videos, reading, learning, etc.

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #32
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips guys. I see what you mean when you are all saying to wait until I am on my own. The fact that it could be years though is what kills me haha. I guess I will keep dreaming and watching videos, reading, learning, etc.
I wanted a motorcycle since I was 16. I got mine at age 23, going on 24. I listened to my parents, and realized that until I can support myself and get my future somewhat set, I'd have to wait to get a bike. In some ways, yeah it was a long wait, but I'm glad I did. I am a lot more responsible now than I thought I was back then, and have a lot more road experience. Some things are worth the wait!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #33
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
I guess I will keep dreaming and watching videos, reading, learning, etc.
there's nothing wrong with dreaming, but get a plan together and set some financial goals for yourself. find ways to work up some cash.

then you'll be ready both mentally and financially to combat the risks of riding.
you will ride, when your ready.

Old February 15th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #34
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
there's nothing wrong with dreaming, but get a plan together and set some financial goals for yourself. find ways to work up some cash.

then you'll be ready both mentally and financially to combat the risks of riding.
you will ride, when your ready.
Thanks for the comment. I guess I'll start saving

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #35
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Dreaming is good. Taking the MSF is better. In MI it's $25; whatever it is there, it's worth it. I was 42 when I took it on with the same exploratory attitude.

You appear to be taking this sensibly in terms of forethought and consideration and that's a good piece of the puzzle right there.

Take the MSF. Consider whether street riding is right for you now. Are you going to college? What if you end up in a cold place for college (like me, grew up in Santa Barbara, undergrad a UCSB, my best grad school offer was MSU)? Consider that colleges are, by and large, one ongoing thievery operation; the longest I *ever* kept a bicycle in college was about 8 months. They just disappear on you; and I'd long since stopped buying bikes worth more than $50 (seriously). I don't know what I woulda done if the dream bike and product of summer vacation work had disappeared between classes.

Maybe you end up with a track fascination and avoid the chaos that is the LA freeway system. I use the ninjette to commute, but then I started with 25 years of street driving and 10 years of "serious" sim-racing (as in the type where people buy $1k wheels and hydraulic brake pedal systems to get an edge chasing cash prizes, not Need for Speed). Even so, I've been run over once and lost my first bike and nearly my head in the process.

Honestly, if I were 17 and had a dream of bikes instead of Caterhams as I did then, I'd get a track bike and do that. No clueless old ladies or distracted soccer moms drive across you on the track, and instead of trees or lightposts there are generous runoff areas to deal with any mistakes you make.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #36
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
-Make sure you're buying it for the right reasons. IE; you love them, cheaper to commute Not the wrong ones IE; it's cool, I need to impress my friends and get lots of "kitty cat"

That Sir is the Wrong reason. Price of commuting should not be the reason to ride a bike!

Old February 15th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #37
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
That Sir is the Wrong reason. Price of commuting should not be the reason to ride a bike!
I beg to differ lol I'd say that is a major factor in a lot of peoples decision to buy a bike. It's also why the number of motorcycles being bought has gone up with the price of gas. Lot's of people like motorcycles but can't justify the added vehicle for a few weekend rides a year. But if you can factor in the money you save going to work everyday, it makes it much easier putting down that money.

Entire countries are primarily made up of 2 wheeled vehicles over 4 wheeled ones simply because they're cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and cheaper to maintain.

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Buying a motorcycle won't save you money
AFM #676

Old February 16th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Buying a motorcycle won't save you money
It will if you don't own a car, like I me for almost 4 years.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #40
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

I'm not debating whether or not it is cheaper to own a motorcycle, I am however of the opinion that you should not participate in such a potentially dangerous activity, on the notion that "its Cheaper".

You should only do it because you love it, and never to save money.