ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

No Police Stop is Routine - Very Graphic

You will see a motorcycle in this video, but that is not why I am posting. Don't turn your volume up until the cruiser stops on the bridge.

==========================================

Taser Failure: This video is a good argument why police should not select Tasers over firearms. I don’t know if it’s still the case but, at one time, it was the policy of the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD) not to deploy chemical or electrical restraint devices unless at least one other deputy was covering the subject with a firearm. (No claim is made that gunshot wounds are effective 100% of the time either but I believe, given decent ammunition and bullet placement, that the odds are better.)

http://m.qctimes.com/vmix_7a4d5038-8...cc4c03286.html
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #2
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

so did they ever say why they stopped him?

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
g21-30

Nope. Initially, I thought the video didn't have sound recording capability because you don't here any dispatch info. It's also very possible that the video was "edited", prior to release for various reasons.....ongoing investigation, confidential informant, etc. It's obvious the officer was in a hurry to get there!

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #4
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

I feel for the officer. every time I see something like this it makes me angry, there is just hardly any respect for the law

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #5
g21-30

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, he was way tooooooooooo close to deploy any of his weapons; other than his firearm. Even if he drew and shot the suspect, the suspects momentum would have still taken the officer down. The shooting probably could have been avoided, if the officer had stopped farther away from the subject. Distance is your friend.

Hindsight is always better than the 2-3 seconds the officer has to react.

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

In order for that scenario to happen the way it did, the officer had to miss with at least one of the 2 needles shot from the taser. Had he gotten a clean shot with the taser and got both needles in the guy would have been on the ground. The human body is incapable of overcoming the amount of voltage coming through BOTH needles of a taser. However, in order for it to work you have to get both needles in.

I don't care how big you are, how strong you think are, how macho you think you are, or how much pain you think you can take.... You can't move a single muscle with a successful shot of a taser. The electric pulses cause your muscles to fire at such a high level that your brain can not overcome them. Don't believe me, get shot by one. If you can't get shot by one, go grab an electric fence and you'll get the idea of a taser.

The reason police are using their tasers more is because of the movement nationwide to use more non-lethal force to subdue threats.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM   #7
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
I don't care how big you are, how strong you think are, how macho you think you are, or how much pain you think you can take.... You can't move a single muscle with a successful shot of a taser. The electric pulses cause your muscles to fire at such a high level that your brain can not overcome them. Don't believe me, get shot by one. If you can't get shot by one, go grab an electric fence and you'll get the idea of a taser.
Actually, it was proven on... Discovery I think, that some people CAN get hit by a Taser and still function. All you need is to move an arm just enough to dislodge one of the bolts. A guy volunteered to get shot. He was able to move just enough to free himself. Of course, he still fell over even after knocking the bolt loose... Anyway, the point being that no two people are the same, and some MAY be able to take a shot, few and far between as they may be.

Personally, if I was a cop I wouldn't carry a taser. Shot him in the leg if he acts up. I think maybe that's partly why respect for cops has been disappearing. Why comply when they'll just shoot you with a taser? Sure, it hurts, but no harm in the long run.

Also, if you miss with a taser, your screwed... If you miss with a gun, you just pull the trigger again...
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #8
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Here's another horrible one:
http://hamptonroads.com/node/520383

Basically there was a woman who had a brain injury who hangs out and hula-hoops all day... someone supposedly complained, so the officer went to talk with her - because she wouldn't comply by putting her hands behind her back, which she told him was not physically possible due to an implant in her shoulder, he tased her 3 times!

Thankfully this lady wasn't killed, but it was ridiculous - a friend whose husband is on the force in Va Beach said that every one down there, especially the police knew about the hula hoop lady and that she wasn't a threat

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #9
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 2010 yamaha fz6r raven

here's a link to the full story and the reason why they stopped him

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/ar...cc4c03286.html
richierich781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #10
billmi
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 82 XV750, 99 DR200SE, 04 DR200SE, 08 DR200SE, 95 EX250

Quote:
In order for that scenario to happen the way it did, the officer had to miss with at least one of the 2 needles shot from the taser. Had he gotten a clean shot with the taser and got both needles in the guy would have been on the ground. The human body is incapable of overcoming the amount of voltage coming through BOTH needles of a taser.
That's not always true.

Rodney King charged a police officer after two discharges from a Taser.

Here's a news story about a man pulling the darts out of his chest after a full discharge:

http://www.4hearingloss.com/archives...use_on_de.html
billmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #11
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

That is a horrible situation. I feel bad for the officer that attempted to use non-lethal force and it backfired.

At any rate, it is often not necessarily the medium that drags police into the spotlight but rather unwise officers using whatever is at their disposal to complete their will, like the hula hoop lady example. There are appropriate ways of using tasers and guns. Both should be in the arsenal. It is not an across the board either one or the other choice. This guy was just witnessed assaulting someone (unprovoked), which I would consider dangerous. Ok, might want to approach with the gun.
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I feel bad for the police officer. He, unfortunately has a thankless, extremely dangerous job, and can really only rely on fellow officers for physical and emotional support. I have a lot of respect for these men and women and always make it a point to thank them for their dedication and service. Those people need to hear that, and know that they are appreciated and not taken for granted.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM   #13
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Without the PC showing up that could have been a very different ending. As Alex said these folks are right up there at the top of the list of those that deserve our respect and thanks.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #14
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Thats one of the scarier situations you can get yourself into as an officer. At least the attacker didn't have a deadly weapon (that he used) on him...otherwise it could of ended lethal for the suspect and the officer.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Easygoing
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, Vulcan Classic LT

Tasers aren't magic. As a couple posters have mentioned varying conditions as well as the subject's individual resistance all factor into effectiveness.

There was a time when I was in law enforcement (i'm not now, and haven't been for a long long time) and (being the young bucks that we were) we tried the less than lethal gear on ourselves to both gauge the effects and ability to function as well as prepare for the possibility of having them used on us or catching "splash" (as in tear gas).

So many factors come into play. Some guys can function "enough" to do you serious harm even without being on drugs or alcohol. Sometimes it'll hit clothes just right and not get a good contact. Dry skin, sweaty skin, etc...

Anyways, don't get a stun gun, taser, or mace and assume it's going to be like a star trek phaser on stun. Know what they'll do and what they won't do.

Be safe.
Easygoing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #16
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmi View Post
That's not always true.

Rodney King charged a police officer after two discharges from a Taser.

Here's a news story about a man pulling the darts out of his chest after a full discharge:

http://www.4hearingloss.com/archives...use_on_de.html
yeah good link, that's creepy geting a eye brow bit off, hello Mike Tyson?

Old September 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #17
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
In order for that scenario to happen the way it did, the officer had to miss with at least one of the 2 needles shot from the taser. Had he gotten a clean shot with the taser and got both needles in the guy would have been on the ground. The human body is incapable of overcoming the amount of voltage coming through BOTH needles of a taser. However, in order for it to work you have to get both needles in.

The reason police are using their tasers more is because of the movement nationwide to use more non-lethal force to subdue threats.

false. on cops i saw some guy get hit with both needles and still took the officer down
killerkay3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #18
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkay3 View Post
false. on cops i saw some guy get hit with both needles and still took the officer down
Show me the proof or it never happened.

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #19
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Show me the proof or it never happened.
Oh, look! A COP getting tasered TWICE in a controlled environment... and able to "attack" the guy shooting the taser... (keep watching till the end).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAH49NY_iY

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #20
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowuff View Post
Oh, look! A COP getting tasered TWICE in a controlled environment... and able to "attack" the guy shooting the taser... (keep watching till the end).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAH49NY_iY
Thank you, proof was all I asked for. The first one as they explained fit into my first suggestion of it not making contact. The second however proves that even with positive contact it can fail.

To date that is the first I've seen or heard of it failing with full positive contact. All other 'failures' had been because one needle had not made contact as they showed in the first failed tasing where the one needle failed to penetrate his jeans. The second one however hit him square in the chest and still failed to take him down. Now if they can figure out what causes it to fail in cases like him they can overcome it.

By the laws of physics it should not fail with positive contact due to how the human body works on electrical impulses and the taser overpowering the body's natural electrical impulses in order to lock up the muscles preventing you from using them. But as that video shows it's not a perfect device yet.

Old September 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #21
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
By the laws of physics it should not fail with positive contact due to how the human body works on electrical impulses and the taser overpowering the body's natural electrical impulses in order to lock up the muscles preventing you from using them. But as that video shows it's not a perfect device yet.
I think what this boils down to, is that not every one is the same. If you up the amps to take out the guy on the video (or change the delivery method, or whatever), you could kill other people and this is suppose to not be lethal.

So, it all comes back to training. The right tool for the right job... Maybe don't use a taser if your the only cop around? I really don't know, as I've never had any kind of tactical training...

Old September 14th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #22
sombo

I'll agree with you on the second part of the right tool for the situation and that perhaps taser while alone might not always be best.

Just as an fyi it's the voltage that tasers work on. High voltage and extremely low amperage, basically static electricity like lightning. They could increase the voltage without increasing the amperage which would cause little damage. If they used even .5 milliamps in the taser it could kill you. That's all it takes to stop the heart.

Ok, enough of the science lesson lol.