ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 31st, 2009, 02:45 AM   #1
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Learning experiences

Well the last 2 days of riding have been rather eventful and educational. First, on Friday I knew I was running low on gas but wanted to see just how far I could push it before I needed gas. Well I made it to 192miles before I felt it start to sputter. Then like an idiot, I kept turning the reserve switch the wrong way and finally gave up and started pushing the bike (found out later I was about a good 6 miles or more from a station).

After a sheriff and then Disney security (yes I was on Walt Disney property) stopped by and told me help was on the way I sat and waited for over an hour. Finally I got tired of waiting and played with fuel switch some more and figured out that I was a newb idiot and got it to the reserve and fired her up. I made it to the station and filled up with 4 solid gallons at about 200 on tripmeter. Not bad for alot of city and somewhat aggressive driving.

Then last night while I was following my friend in his mustang on one of the main strips, we caught up with some of his car buddies. We followed in the middle lane doing about 50+ when suddenly I noticed a bumper (yes a complete plastic bumper) laying in the right lane. I knew that was a sign of trouble and started to slow down. Seconds later my friend hits his brakes hard forcing me to do the same. It wasn't until he quickly escaped to the right lane and into a parking lot that I realized several things: 1) the cars in front of him were at a dead stop because of a hit car turned sideways blocking our lane, 2) that my engine had stalled caused by me not pulling the clutch in all the way soon enough and 3) that my rear tire was locked up but that I still had control of the bike and came to a complete stop about 10 feet from the other stopped cars.

Not the best emergency braking but not the worst considering I'm still a noob. On the positive side, I didn't lose control and didn't hit anything. On the downside, I locked up the rear causing my engine to stall. Oddly enough I didn't really feel scared or panicked. I just kept upright and squeezed harder on the brakes instead of just panic grabbing.

So learn from other people's adventures and remember to estimate your mpg on the low side especially with the older ninjettes. Remember to practice your emergency braking, and keep a close eye on your surroundings to be aware of possible trouble up ahead (like someone's bumper laying in the middle of the road lol).
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 04:32 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thank you for passing on those lessons learned. I will keep them in mind.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:17 AM   #3
ladyninja08
ninjette.org member

Name: Christine

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black ninja 250r

May sound stupid but where is the fuel reserve switch located I looked and can't seem to find it. Thanks
ladyninja08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

We don't have one on the 08's, on the 07's and earlier there is a manual reserve switch on the left side of the bike that allows the last 0.8 gallons in the tank to be used. On the 08's there is no such setting, as we have a fuel gauge on the dash instead. Personally I preferred the manual petcock system as it was more predictable than the gauge, but it is what it is.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:21 AM   #5
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyninja08 View Post
May sound stupid but where is the fuel reserve switch located I looked and can't seem to find it. Thanks
you new generation 250s don't have on (its why they gave you a fuel gauge that doesn't work)
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:27 AM   #6
ladyninja08
ninjette.org member

Name: Christine

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black ninja 250r

Okay Thanks I kept wondering about it.
ladyninja08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 11:01 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Well the last 2 days of riding have been rather eventful and educational. First, on Friday I knew I was running low on gas but wanted to see just how far I could push it before I needed gas.
I might be wrong but if you are pushing it you don't need any gas.

Old May 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
*snarfs up drink through nose*
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM   #9
sombo

Quote:
Actually if you're already to the point of pushing it (like I was) you might be bone dry. I mean why push a fully fueled bike when you can ride it?

I'm surprised I'm getting more comments on the gas then the emergency braking.

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:13 PM   #10
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
I'm surprised I'm getting more comments on the gas then the emergency braking.
It's only emergency braking if its an emergency but it is great that you got a chance to practice in case of and emergency. As you were following your buddy, as he dove into the parking lot, you too could have followed. Always look for an out that doesn't leave you sitting in one spot if at all possible. Your is a great way to learn something knew. Go to a parking lot and work on those stops for future situations. Also work on using a lighter touch on the rear brake, having it locked could be a bad thing in case it doesn't release right when you need it to. It is also good to see you keep your head about you in the situation, very well done!
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:26 PM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I get all my braking techniques from Jason Britton, although; Ben Spies was doing some impressive stoppies in South Africa (and they were caught on tape).

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM   #12
sombo

Actually I considered it an emergency since everyone was going from about 50 - 0 in a matter of seconds. As for following my friend, that was not an option for me. For starters, he slipped through a hole that I couldn't follow through. I had a car on either side and the engine had stalled from me not getting the clutch in time. I also didn't realize the tire was locked till he darted. I didn't think I had put that much pressure on the rear brake but I guess I did. I would rather have the back lock up then the front tbh.

I had thought about doing just that with the parking lot but haven't gotten around to finding one I can use since moving down here. It also doesn't help that it's rained once or twice a day every day for the last 2 weeks.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM   #13
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
I get all my braking techniques from Jason Britton, although; Ben Spies was doing some impressive stoppies in South Africa (and they were caught on tape).
seen him doing that in another race also...commentators pointed it out as well..thinik it was the race where it appeared he ran outta gas

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM   #14
sombo

Well tonight had yet another learning experience.

Was making a left turn from a light onto a road at night in traffic. Right at the edge of the curb of the road I was turning on it was black, like new pavement black. Didn't think much of it since it still looked flat and it was 'new' pavement. However, crossing that line onto the black turned out to be uneven pavement with close to a 6" drop. Being fully in the turn this drop nearly took me out and jammed my left thumb because you couldn't tell the pavement dropped like that till you hit it. If I had been going straight it wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was in a turn with the bike in a slight lean and dropping like that SERIOUSLY jerks the handlebars. Thumb is still sore from it.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #15
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

yikes!
sounds like it could have been REAL ugly..
stay vigilant

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #16
sombo

Yah, I was super glad the unseen drop didn't cause me to wipe out. No signs, no warnings and because of the darkness you couldn't see a shadow to even indicate there was a drop. Just looked like a smooth transition from old to new pavement........ then BAM!!!! Drops out, jerks the handlebars something fierce and jams my left thumb.