Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old December 14th, 2018, 05:54 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Church of MO: 2008 Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review

Harley-Davidson moves in a mysterious ways, its wonders to perform; it plants its footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm. With the imminent exciting arrival of a brand-new flat-track inspired American motorcycle in January that’s not a Harley-Davidson, it’s fun to remember the tenth anniversary of the last flat-track inspired motorcycle that was. The XR1200 was such a crazy idea, H-D was afraid to bring it home to America for a whole year.

2008 Harley-Davidson*XR1200*Review

No home in America

By Tor Sagen*Jun. 09, 2008
Photos by DoubleRed

As far as I know, Harley-Davidson has never before launched a new motorcycle exclusively first in Europe. In Valencia, Spain, Harley did, and the*XR1200*was launched in a big way to virtually anyone that can walk and talk in the European motorcycle press.The*XR1200*is as close to a true sportsbike Harley-Davidson is ever going to make (except for the ill-fated VR1000*Superbike*–Ed.). It’s air-cooled with a modified 1203cc Evolution V45 from the*Sportster*range. To make it more powerful than the rest, the*XR1200*features a larger air-box, downdraft fuel injection and a performance-biased exhaust system. The result is a claimed 90 horsepower at 7.000 rpm and 73.8 ft-lbs of torque maxing at a low 3.700 rpm.

2008 Harley-Davidson*XR1200. Only in Amer… er, um… Europe.

The*XR1200*puts out a claimed 90 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 73.8 ft-lbs of torque maxing at a low 3,700 rpm. The enlightened will know that a Buell makes more horsepower than this with similar technology.

Scott Parker (in the leathers) is a 9-time AMA flat-track champion.

The dual over-under up-swept exhaust is a signature design item and iconic to the XR1200’s inspiration, the XR750 flat-track dominator.

Riding the*XR1200*aggressively through mountain passes and valleys was a very pleasing experience. Tor had to keep reminding himself that he was on a Harley, not a Buell!

The enlightened will know that a Buell makes more horsepower than this with similar technology. The reason the*XR1200*doesn’t make a full 100 horsepower was explained to me by one of the Milwaukee engineers as being down to a lower volume*airbox*and different exhaust system. Harley-Davidson would never ever sacrifice style completely over performance and that is the reason.

The*XR1200*sure makes a presence different to most other*motorcycles. It’s unique from the Motor Company, and the only other motorcycle on the market I can find for some sort of comparison would be the Euro-only Yamaha MT01!

At the same time, if it hadn’t been for the 1970 launch of the 90-horsepower XR750 for flat-track racing, we would not have seen the*XR1200. That the new 1200 makes the same horsepower as a 38-year-old bike will have to be forgiven, as modern noise and emission regulations don’t allow for much more.

‘The*XR1200*sure makes a presence different to most other*motorcycles.’

This early morning in April, I have the privilege of following Wrecking Crew member number 1 Scott Parker into the mountains on the*XR1200. Parker is 9 times AMA champion and the most successful rider on the most successful flat-track racebike ever.

Not long after, Scott Parker and Brommie stunt-monkey Craig Jones were doing monos worth a gold medal up in the mountains. There’s no doubt in my mind after doing some of my own, this Harley is the most fun Harley-Davidson I have ever ridden! So it wheelies, but even more impressive is the ability to go fast through the tight corners in the Spanish mountains. True, the*XR1200*is pretty much heavier than any other European brand motorcycle it is supposed to compete with. But once on the move it handles brilliantly and the monstrous torque curve is just a delight to use.

This Harley has got tires to match its abilities fully in the*Dunlop*Qualifiers. Using an 18-inch flat-track-style front wheel, the Qualifiers have been specially designed for the big Harley. With a 551-lb claimed dry weight, the XR is probably a little bit heavier than what the Qualifiers was intended for in the first place. But never mind, they stick like glue to the tarmac and only the*footpeg*feelers touch the ground. To me, those footpegs and feelers are the most annoying thing about the*XR1200*package. At a standstill, I hit the feelers with my ankles, and getting back on the move I drag the footpegs up and they haven’t got*spring action*to bring them back down again. The Harley engineers that I spoke with told me that this was the first issue that they would address ahead of mass production scheduled for this spring.

The seat is quite thin and sporty, and the seat height is a low 29.2 inches. The handlebar is very wide and this makes it easy to wrestle the XR to its sides. The lean angle is very good, but despite the fact that it looks like the right exhaust side will touch ground first, it’s actually the typical Harley sidestand on the left that will touch first. The*clutch*cable*looks fairly exposed and as if it will start grinding leaning the XR to its extreme left. It shouldn’t and it didn’t, it just looks that way. The whole mid-placed exhaust cover will grind on the right-hand side. Despite the fact that the*XR1200*is the sportiest Harley ever, it still has got plenty of styling compromise.

Harley aficionados will frown upon the fact that there’s a plastic tank and rear fairing sides on the*XR1200. The headlight is a standard*Sportster*item, and the double*rear shocks*remind me of a*Sportster*too. The travel is a short 3.5 inches at the back and 4.9 inches from the 43mm USD fork. That aluminium swingarm does not remind me of anything found on other Harleys, though. It looks technical and light.

Mounted on the 18-inch front wheel is a pair of 4-piston Nissin*calipers*providing plenty of stopping power. I can’t help it, but I am really glad that Harley-Davidson have kept*Harley clutch*and brake levers as they feel really good to use. The 5-speed gearbox was brilliant and not heavy to use at all.

Riding the*XR1200*as hard as I dare through the mountain passes and valleys was a very pleasing experience. I had to keep reminding myself that I was on a Harley launch and not a Buell launch! Not that the XR 1200 feels anywhere remotely like a Buell. It’s too big for that but still handles so well. With the*XR1200*working hard under you, it should be much easier to keep up with your friends on sportsbikes. You won’t go faster, but certainly as fast in many places.

On my way back from the mountains and into Valencia I got to test the city-riding qualities. The*XR1200*filters like no other Harley, apart from maybe the Nightster. One of the major differences that make the*XR1200*is the fact that it has got top tires that gives you the extra safety to go a little bit faster everywhere, also in town. A little bit too much heat radiation is my only town-riding complaint.

Finally, I asked Scott Parker which he preferred, the XR750 or the*XR1200? Of course, Parker’s a*company man, so he didn’t give any clear answers to that one. What was evident during our ride was that pretty much everyone enjoyed the XR immensely. (Too bad Harley hasn’t yet announced plans to sell the XR in North America – Ed.)

‘With the*XR1200*working hard under you, it should be much easier to keep up with your friends on sportsbikes.’

Conclusion

The Harley-Davidson*XR1200*is a solid piece of work. The whole aura of the bike and the XR750 heritage is pleasing. I feel owning one of these would be no problem at all – I’d be satisfied on all sorts of roads, and you’re not stuck through a hair-pin corner dragging a*240mm*rear tyre (the*XR1200*features a 180/55-ZR17) after you. The*XR1200*can’t really compete on the edge with other European streetfighters, but it’s a huge step in the right direction should Harley ever wish to do so.

The 2008 Harley-Davidson*XR1200*is a step in the right direction toward true hooliganism for the American bike maker as Tor implies in this photo.

The Perfect Bike For…The rider that wants a sporty Harley and has been disappointed with the Sportsters or the V-Rod.*Highs:*Sighs:
  • XR1200, what a*cool name!
  • Torque is beautiful!
  • It handles and wheelies!
  • Footpegs do not retract by themselves
  • What exactly are those 50 kilos above the 200 mark?
  • Not sold in America
XR 1200 SpecsEngineAir-cooled, EvolutionDisplacement1202ccEngine Torque74 ft. lbs / 100 NM @ 3700 rpmHorsepower90hp / 67kW @ 7000 rpmBore x Stroke*(mm)88.9 x 96.8Fuel SystemElectronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)Compression Ratio10.0:1Exhaust SystemUpswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight shot exhaust system finished in satin chromePrimary DriveChain, 57/34 ratioFinal DriveBelt, 68/28 ratioClutch8-plate, wetTransmission5 speedBrakes, Dia*(Front/Rear, mm)292 dual / 260Caliper TypeDual 4-piston, fixed front, single-piston floating rearFront Fork43 mm invertedRear ShocksCoil-over; preload dual-adjustableSuspension Travel(mm)Front 125/Rear 89FrameMild steel tubular frame; circular sections; cast junctionsSwingarmAluminium castLength*(mm)2,195Seat Height*(mm)742Ground Clearance(mm)147Rake at steering head (°) / Trail(mm)29.3 / 130Fork Angle (°)27.8Wheelbase*(mm)Valentino RossiFuel Capacity(liters)13.3Oil Capacity with Filter*(liters)2.8Dry Weight*(kg)250Color OptionsVivid Black; Mirage Orange Pearl; Pewter DenimRelated Reading
Harley-Davidson News
2008 Harley-Davidson Models
2008 Harley-Davidson CVO Models

The post Church of MO: 2008 Harley-Davidson XR1200 Review appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...