Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Pictures

Old February 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitch & Sarah

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250, '87 KZ305

Sarah's Project '99

Sarah's Project '99

So we picked up this '99 Ninja in October of '08 for $600.00. It has around 14,000 miles on it. I knew it needed some work, it ran OK but I knew it needed to be tuned up at the very least. The front fairing was pretty busted up from being knocked over in the driveway, blinkers were busted off, and the tail fairing had some cracks in it also. On the plus side, it has a pretty much brand new set of Sport Demons on it. Here are the pics from the day we got it..(it makes the bike look a LOT nicer than it was)

Since the fairings were in rough shape, we decided to strip the bike, find some decent used plastics to replace the few that were bad, and paint the bike.
Here is Sarah halfway through the tear-down:

Here is the bike after we got done with the teardown:

So we finally got around to getting some work done on the pieces. Sarah decided she wanted to paint the bike 2008 Corvette Velocity Yellow. We spent a weekend prepping the plastics and getting her painted. Sarah helped some with the prep work, and I sprayed the paint. Here are the pieces after 6-7 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear:

(These pictures do not do the color justice at all. it is MUCH brighter than these pics when it is in the sun)

We also have some goodies waiting to go on the bike. We decided to go with AsianCycle flushmounts in the front...black baseplates with amber lenses, along with AsianCycle Arrow turn signals for the rear, black housings with amber lenses. Like this, but with black bases, not chrome:

I decided to strip the fuel cap ring of its paint and polish it. Looks awesome, and it took like 20 minutes!

Next it was time to paint the wheels and other odds & ends.

Since I did the polished look with the fuel cap ring, we are also planning on stripping the edges of the wheels and running a polished look there, too, like this:

We are planning to get a "generic" decal kit in black, and only using a few decals on the bike, just to break up the yellow.

Also did a valve adjustment, carb cleaning and sync, air filter replacement, fresh oil / filter change, new clutch and accelerator cables, new grips, new front and rear brake pads, new spark plugs.

Time for some colorsanding & buffing! Me, out on the fire escape, sanding..

REASSEMBLY!

...That was this spring. After I got it reassembled, I took it for a spin and the head gasket went, and the motor spent all summer at the local mechanics getting the head gasket changed (I know, it was quite an ordeal...). Then, when I finally got it back he did not adjust the valves correctly and a rocker broke, which in turn unsprung one of the exhaust valves. So the bike is currently stripped down & waiting for me to finish that.

Sarah and I really think a nice Area P exhaust would set the bike off....What do you guys think? Carbon Fiber long/short, or Aluminum?

Thanks for looking,
Mitch & Sarah
Mitch and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #2
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

nice work!i like the long carbon can personally.
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I really like the original paint scheme but the yellow really pops. Nice work. And personally...I'd say long carbon fiber. Area P makes a great pipe, I love my 15in c/f.

Old February 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Wow, lots of work, and an amazing result. Major thumbs up, and I hope your motor woes work themselves out quickly for this riding season. Personally, I'd go with the short carbon can to offset the yellow of the bike.

Old February 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Welcome! The bike looks great - y'all have done a really nice job with it. Kerry from AreaP posts here, so you can probably get some pointers from him on the best exhaust for your bike

Old February 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

You know, this thread inspires me to find a cheap 250, or any bike for that matter, and do a build/rebuild.

Great job. Even though I'm not a yellow fan, it works with the bike. I'm really diggin' it.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

Wow, all that work just to end up with motor problems. That must be frustrating.

I like the long carbon pipe. It seems to "fit" better.
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #8
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. We were thinking short carbon, but now i'm kinda liking the short aluminum, I think it would look really good if I do the aluminum-edge to the wheels look. Plus it's a little cheaper. Thoughts?

Mitch

Old February 18th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Stuff looks tasty, good job

I prefer carbon fiber or Ti cans because they don't get hot like aluminum or stainless and of course they look sweet ass well. The longer muffler looks better imo

I'm not a fan of polished wheel edges... looks too "chromy" on a spot bike and then you also have to maintain them.

Old February 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

I remember the project from ninja250.org's forum.. loved to watch this bike come together... Didn't you get another engine?

Wht kind of decal kit are you planning? I think a simple "Kawasaki" text and maybe a little "Ninja" on each side would be plenty to break it up... that's about what I had on my 99...

Adam

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post
I remember the project from ninja250.org's forum.. loved to watch this bike come together... Didn't you get another engine?

Wht kind of decal kit are you planning? I think a simple "Kawasaki" text and maybe a little "Ninja" on each side would be plenty to break it up... that's about what I had on my 99...

Adam
I did not get another engine. I was planning on pulling the head to fix the valve issue, but I just ordered an air adapter to screw into the spark plug hole so hopefully I can compress the cylinder with air and be able to get the valve spring back in place myself.

We are planning on just getting some small black Kawasaki and Ninja decals as you said. Probably only putting a small Kawasaki on each side of the tank and two small Ninja stickers somewhere else.

Mitch

Old February 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Great work. I really like the yellow.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I prefer carbon fiber or Ti cans because they don't get hot like aluminum or stainless and of course they look sweet ass well. The longer muffler looks better imo
+1
I'm not much of a yellow fan myself, but this bike may sway me. Looks phenomenal. Best o' luck with the engine though.

Dunno who you're considering sourcing the decals from, but we've got a couple forum members with a vinyl cutter that can hook you up. Here's a link to one of them
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25105

Old February 19th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #14
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
+1
I'm not much of a yellow fan myself, but this bike may sway me. Looks phenomenal. Best o' luck with the engine though.

Dunno who you're considering sourcing the decals from, but we've got a couple forum members with a vinyl cutter that can hook you up. Here's a link to one of them
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25105
Thanks for the info. We were thinking of getting a decal set like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EX250...Q5fAccessories

Old February 19th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #15
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Killer restoration work! Looks brand new or better.
p.s.. long can CF would look nice.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch and Sarah View Post
I did not get another engine. I was planning on pulling the head to fix the valve issue, but I just ordered an air adapter to screw into the spark plug hole so hopefully I can compress the cylinder with air and be able to get the valve spring back in place myself.

Mitch
I finally tackled this this weekend. Ordered one of these:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=POW301051

Once I received it, I went down to my local hardware store and got the proper fittings to hook it up to my compressor. Regulated the compressor to 30-40 PSI, hooked everything up and viola, valve stays up! It was not easy to get the springs compressed but we were successful after a few hours of trying.

I put the cams back in, set the timing, adjusted the valves and fired it up. Synced the carbs and it was running great! Until it started knocking like crazy----uh-oh. Turns out the guy who did the motor work last year "forgot, or lost" a few pieces to the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER. I found out that the knocking noise was actually a ridiculously loose cam chain. I took out the tensioner, and it was missing part numbers 92144 (large spring), and 92027 (collar) (diagram here: http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...1999&fveh=8510. The shaft was all beat up from where the ball-bearings were beating on it as well. I just ordered a whole new assembly (shaft,springs,bearing,collar) for around $40.

Here is a vid, prior to the tensioner noise (beware, crappy cell phone vid):

Also, I managed to install the rear turn signals and do some re-wiring to the rear lights, and also the Signal Dynamics Back-Off-XP brake modulator that I bought a while ago. Here is that stuff all installed, showing what will happen when the brakes are pushed (I had a rope tied around the brake lever & handlebars to turn the brakes on, another crappy cell phone vid):

Mitch

Old March 13th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #18
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Looks awesome! Great job.
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #19
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Bike looks great, sucks that mechanic screwed you over though.

Old March 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #20
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. Cam chain tensioner is going back in this weekend with all new parts, hopefully no more clatter.

Scored a no-longer-available Yoshimura 2 into 1 pipe off of the other 250 forums last night, it's supposed to be in the mail today or monday. Also scored a gauge cluster, I'll be swapping out the speedo/odometer into the new one since mine has broken mounting pegs.

Pics:

I'm going to sandblast & paint / possibly powdercoat the pipes.

Mitch

Old March 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

One of my friends briefly had a Ninja 250, and it had that Yoshi exhaust on it, and from what I remember it was LOUD. I don't know if it was supposed to be that loud, but he rode by my work one time, and he slowly cruised behind the building and I have never heard a vehicle from inside the building before, and I could clearly hear that bike riding behind the building.

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #22
Mitch and Sarah
ninjette.org member

Got the new cam chain tensioner parts installed and no more clatter, engine sounds great and pulls really nicely.

Put the Yoshimura exhaust on this weekend, and yes, it's LOUD. I even repacked it and it's insanely loud. We are thinking about having another muffler can put on. I put the stock exhaust back on for now.

All back together!

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #23
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

the bike looks awesome!!! Great job. I can't help but wonder how yellow rim tape would look

Adam

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #24
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The bike looks great. I wish I had your painting skills.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote