ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

crap in oil?

I just changed my oil today and am concerned there may have been crap in it (no idea what it is). The oil pan I used was covered in a light dusting of sawdust, but I don't think that is what this is...... also there where a couple of "chip" looking things. I snapped pics of the largest.

Last oil change was ~1500 mi ago, done by the dealer during my 7.5K service. I usually change my own oil around 1.5K miles. I have always used OEM filters with the exception of a single change right before the dealer did it (I used a crappy FRAM that time because I didn't know about their crappy rep. yet).

Take a look at the pics.... how concerned should I be?

headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #2
kkim

what kind of oil are you using?

I doubt the Fram filter had anything to do with it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #3
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

That looks like a leaf. Did you change your oil outdoors? Maybe the wind blew it into your oil bucket as you let the oil drain. o_O
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
headshrink

I thought about the leaf... funny thing is it is curved, not in an organic nature-like way either (sure hope it is a leaf). I just checked it out again. It doesn't seem to react to a magnet. It is pretty smooth, almost like it was the coating on something that flaked off.

The debris in the pan didn't react to the magnet either (great news), looks white, and disintegrates if you touch it. It seems like that stuff from one of those paint sticks they mark bolts with, but I don't know if they do that on the inside (they did crack it to check my valve clearances last.

I have been using 10W40 Motul 3000 (dealer recommended, not cheap) & for the first time just put in Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil (cheap at auto zone, thought I would try it).

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #5
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Was the pan clean?? Did they adjust the valves? did they locktite the bolts back on? Do you know or can you see if they used gasket sealer or something to hold the gasket in place when they put the cover back on?
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #6
headshrink

The pan was not clean, it had a light dusting of sawdust, but the stuff in question didn't show up until I opened the filter housing, possibly when I poured out the old filter (forgot to mention that).
They checked, but did not adjust the valves. I don't know about the locktite or gasket sealer, etc., but that could theoretically make sense.