ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 7th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
My clutch: burning more than a bladder infection

So, I kept the bike in neutral while running it to get it warmed up a bit (I have my reasons for this instead of just starting it and going), and I saw a bunch of smoke coming from my clutch cover, but it stopped. So, out of curiosity, I tried to ride down the street after adjusting my clutch cable, and there is a significant loss in power. I think it's slipping a bunch.

So, how did that even happen? How do I not do this again?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
yikes... I'm stumped best of luck with your new clutch

Old November 8th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

How long did you have it running and did you adjust the clutch properly?
How many miles on your bike?
Is the oil level correct?
Where exactly did you see smoke ?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 06:02 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
........ I saw a bunch of smoke coming from my clutch cover, but it stopped.
That is impossible, the cover is sealed by a gasket.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
That is impossible, the cover is sealed by a gasket.
But what if the gasket melted, broke up, was abducted by aliens??? if guy was ever in the army he could def find a way to break it that bad, believe me the messes I've seen an cleaned up

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe the cover bolts came loose?

Old November 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #7
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
How long did you have it running and did you adjust the clutch properly?
How many miles on your bike?
Is the oil level correct?
Where exactly did you see smoke ?
Had it running for about 5 minutes. Last time I adjusted the clutch, I balanced it on the centerstand and put it in first while running it, and adjusted the clutch until the rear wheel would not move with it in, and it would run with it out.

There's some 33k miles on my bike

Oil level is correct. I just recently changed it.

I saw smoke coming from around the clutch cover. Maybe not from inside it, but definitely around there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
maybe the cover bolts came loose?
But then wouldn't it pee a little bit of oil? Especially while running?

I've meditated on it, and I think a few things are possible. 1: I adjusted the clutch wrong and its just slipping a bunch from how I adjusted it. I don't think I rode it last time I adjusted it. I just adjusted it before I changed the oil while I was waiting for the bike to warm up. 2: I recently put Rotella T6 in it. Since its technically a synthetic, it could be not compatible with the friction plates, right? I heard some friction plates only like petroleum based oil. 3: maybe its not my clutch at all and something unrelated. Also, I don't think its oil that I spilled when putting in the new oil. That did happen to me before, but this smoke smells different.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #8
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Last time I adjusted the clutch, I balanced it on the centerstand and put it in first while running it, and adjusted the clutch until the rear wheel would not move with it in, and it would run with it out.

I've meditated on it, and I think a few things are possible. 1: I adjusted the clutch wrong and its just slipping a bunch from how I adjusted it. I don't think I rode it last time I adjusted it. I just adjusted it before I changed the oil while I was waiting for the bike to warm up.
I would adjust the clutch so that there was just a little free play at the lever and call it good. Then ride it around and see how it works.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Had it running for about 5 minutes. Last time I adjusted the clutch, I balanced it on the centerstand and put it in first while running it, and adjusted the clutch until the rear wheel would not move with it in, and it would run with it out.
That is not the way to adjust our clutches, which rotate in a bath of oil, which is later sent to lubricate the bearings, rockers and valves.

Please, read these:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Adjusting_the_clutch_cable

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Wet_clutch_Q_%26_A

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_is_...27clunky%27%3F

The springs of the clutch must be totally free to put pressure on the discs. The only way to ensure that is checking that the lever on the top of the cover has a very little but perceptible play and that the cable has no tension.

In order to heat the oil enough to smoke due to slipping discs, the transmission must be engaged, the engine must be rotating fast and the rear tire rotating very slowly or not at all.

The smoke you saw may have been from some light oil or coolant spread over the hot cylinder.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote