ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

2010 ninjette exhaust upgrade suggestions

Hey all, recently bought my bike and first thing i wanna do is upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust. the stock is way too quiet, plus i would like to get some more horsepower.
Two questions:
1. what type of exhaust do you recommend?
2. where can i shop online for best deal on said exhaust?
Shaol1n Monk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

http://www.tygausa.com/
http://www.areapnolimits.com/home.html

Heres a start for ya! Two of my fav exhaust systems are from these comps!

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

thanks scotty, i was thinking more of a slip on tho. i was gonna DIY and im a noob with the mechanical end of things.

i guess i would get alot more HP from a complete system?
Shaol1n Monk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Go for the Area P. You can't go wrong.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post

i guess i would get alot more HP from a complete system?
yes
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

ok, so im working on a small budget, and this is my everyday rider. i am trying to also purchase a bike for the track, something like a 600.

so is it worth it to upgrade full exhaust on my ninjette or just go slip on and do the full exhaust on the track bike?

is a full racing exhaust street legal? and how labor intensive are we talking?

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Research is your friend on matters like this. A slipon is really not going to give you any real HP gains, mainly just for sounds and looks. A full exhaust will give you some HP gains... but nothing huge, we're talkin like maybe 5 HP (which for a 27 HP bike really does make a difference). If you are fairly inexperienced maybe you should consider track days on your 250 before buying a 600 for the track... just a thought. Either way enjoy your bike and ride safe
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Talking

hey dustin, thanks brother.
yea im doing research now.
when i say fairly inexperienced im referring to my mechanical prowess hahaha
ive never really done much work on bikes or cars ive owned, ive always had friends who are mechanics. nowadays money is tight, plus i would like to learn so i want to do some stuff myself if its not too complicated.
as for the track, i dont wanna take my everyday rider out on the track and mess it up, thats why i am looking for a second bike. maybe i will pick up an older 250 for the track... it would be cheap.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:01 AM   #9
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

as a track coach i think if you inexprianced a 250 would be way to slow for a beginner-its all about momentum-and people on litre bikes and 600 's closing speeds on you would be extreme and frustrating for you- get a 600 go to a good club where you can get one on coaching and you will be surprised how much you will have improved by the end of the day-you have to be a kick-ass rider to have fun on a trackday on a 250 you have to be to wfo 100% and that gets tiring real fast-that being said -if you go full system you will need high flow air filter and jet kit to work -slip-ons are easy and usually work with stock set up-i go leo vince or arrow for my bikes they are high quality and produce good horsepower

Last futzed with by ratlab; May 22nd, 2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: forgot to add comment
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM   #10
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

as others have said, a slip-on on our bikes is a waste of money unless you're purely looking for a noise maker. want to enhance performance? area p race exhaust, shim needles/jet kit, snorkel.......DONE.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM   #11
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
as a track coach i think if you inexprianced a 250 would be way to slow for a beginner-its all about momentum-and people on litre bikes and 600 's closing speeds on you would be extreme and frustrating for you- get a 600 go to a good club where you can get one on coaching and you will be surprised how much you will have improved by the end of the day-you have to be a kick-ass rider to have fun on a trackday on a 250 you have to be to wfo 100% and that gets tiring real fast-that being said -if you go full system you will need high flow air filter and jet kit to work -slip-ons are easy and usually work with stock set up-i go leo vince or arrow for my bikes they are high quality and produce good horsepower
Not sure what trackday org you coach for but.......... Most trackday coaches I know (and I know quite a few) think the 250 ninja is the perfect bike for your first season of track riding. It teaches the VALUE of momentum, trailbraking, and keeping good corner speed.
If your fast on a 250 after a couple weekends at the track then buy your 600. You wont be sorry, or slow when you get that 600 on the track.

Spending money to increase the performance of a 600cc trackbike is such a waste. Use the money to buy more trackdays.

I ride a FZ-6 on the track.(not exactly a sportbike) Its a STOCK motor and exhaust. (mid 90's hp) Im the fastest in my peer group except Sean (he's an instructor) We all ride Advanced group. The bikes in the group are as follows. 07 R-6 with sprockets, 07 gsxr750 stock, ducatti 749 pipes and cans, honda 929 full exhaust, 06 cbr 600rr full exhaust, and an Sv 650 with everything you can think of and slicks. (Sean rides the 650). I cant even keep him in sight, hes so fast.
Every bike I ride with (and many others on the track) make alot more power than mine. I still turn quicker lap times than most.
Its not about horsepower. Its all about YOUR ability.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

thanks for all the feedback everyone! much appreciated.
so im thinkin slip on exhaust for the 250, its my everyday rider and i live in philly so i do want to make the bike louder so all the bad drivers on the road can hear me. the stock exhaust is way too quiet. my dad rides harleys and thats the first thing he said when i bought my bike.

as for the track, i dont want to take my everyday rider on the track and i cant afford to buy another 250 to ride a few times at the track then upgrade, so im gonna go right to the bigger bike.

i saw a nice used triumph daytona 955i for sale, any thoughts?

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #13
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52566
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:37 AM   #14
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

loud pipes don't save lives........
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

im not going to go with a super obnoxious loud pipe, but i would like the bike to sound a bit louder than a vacuum cleaner.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:23 PM   #16
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
ok, so im working on a small budget, and this is my everyday rider. i am trying to also purchase a bike for the track, something like a 600.
The 250 is a great track bike to learn on. I'm still a novice but I've learned so much because it is a 250. I'm rarely ever passing anyone on a straight away but the corners are another story. To pass a slightly slower rider on a 600 you need to learn more than just cornering speed. I had better cornering speed than the other 600's in my novice group and I pass them in the corner but they'll easily overtake me in the 150 yards to the next corner. So I'm right back where I started. I took Jason Pridmore school and he told me "You're a big guy on a little bike, you need to get on the gas ASAP." By the end of the day, I was WOT at the apex rather than at the end of the turn. Because of this, I was coming out of the turns hotter than the 600's and had enough accelerate that they didn't feel comfortable passing in the 150 yard stretch to the next corner. The next lesson I had to learn with the 250 was timing. In the novice group, you can't pass on the inside and you'll always get some slow rider entering the turns on extreme outside. So I'd right behind them at the same speed entering the turn and the 250 can't out accelerate the other bike. To overcome this, you need to time your entry into the corner so you don't lose speed by passing the other rider as he/she is beginning their lean.

Quote:
so is it worth it to upgrade full exhaust on my ninjette or just go slip on and do the full exhaust on the track bike?
If you're going to have a street 250 and a track 600, save your money and don't upgrade the 250 exhaust. I upgraded my exhaust to the TYGA because I scraped the muffler cover a couple of time on the track. The TYGA + rejet did add some extra horsepower but it way loud for the streets.

Quote:
is a full racing exhaust street legal? and how labor intensive are we talking?
Probably not, whether or not you'll get ticketed is up to your local cops.
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM   #17
ratlab
ratlab

i coach for let's ride in calif. and i just see to many people on slow bikes riding angry-the bigger bikes throw out the anchors on the corners and accelerate away-and in novice group passing is only allowed on the outside it gets pretty scetchy-+1 on throwing a lot of money at a 600-955 is a nice bike but underpowered and to heavy -a good 600 is a better choice-you will grow out of 250 at the track the first day-unless your with guys all riding 250's which probably would be a blast-it's a very fast club ama guys are in the fast group all the time prerace testing-buttonwillow raceway-near l.a.if you want to go small bike route on the track a 125 2 stroke would be better-12 year old kids pass A group riders in the corners like they are tied to a tree-almost forty if your riding a fz-6 in an advanced group your fast as hell -but all the bikes you described wouln't be able to stay in advanced at let's ride much less a 250 even in intermediate -and there are a lot of riders in novice with very fast bikes-i think and i have been doing this a long time that 250 riders don't come away with a fun experience-and pretty much are a roadblock to other riders-we get a lot of complaints from other riders that they are in the way especially thru one line corners-just my opinion -no drama

Last futzed with by ratlab; May 23rd, 2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: forgot to reply

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:53 AM   #18
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

^^^Off the subject. That has to be the longest sentence (?) ever written on ninjette.org!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM   #19
ratlab
ratlab

i might be confused but there was more than one subject

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM   #20
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
i coach for let's ride in calif. and i just see to many people on slow bikes riding angry-the bigger bikes throw out the anchors on the corners and accelerate away-and in novice group passing is only allowed on the outside it gets pretty scetchy-+1 on throwing a lot of money at a 600-955 is a nice bike but underpowered and to heavy -a good 600 is a better choice-you will grow out of 250 at the track the first day-unless your with guys all riding 250's which probably would be a blast-it's a very fast club ama guys are in the fast group all the time prerace testing-buttonwillow raceway-near l.a.if you want to go small bike route on the track a 125 2 stroke would be better-12 year old kids pass A group riders in the corners like they are tied to a tree-almost forty if your riding a fz-6 in an advanced group your fast as hell -but all the bikes you described wouln't be able to stay in advanced at let's ride much less a 250 even in intermediate -and there are a lot of riders in novice with very fast bikes-i think and i have been doing this a long time that 250 riders don't come away with a fun experience-and pretty much are a roadblock to other riders-we get a lot of complaints from other riders that they are in the way especially thru one line corners-just my opinion -no drama
Every org is different when it comes to group selection.
Novice is usually tightly controled at STT. To get to I-group you need a bump up from an instructor. To get to advanced, You need KICKED out of I-group. There are no set lap-time benchmarks to get to the next group. It boils down to the instructors and weather they feel your ready to get your bump. To get to advanced an Instructor will follow you for a session determine weather your able to keep pace and hold your predictable line. The instructors are making laps in I group to "police" things. Pass an instructor clean, and click off a few "fast laps". If he likes what he see's hell follow you to your pit stall and "kick" you. If he doesnt, he'll stop buy to give you a few pointers.

I got kicked out of the open (no lead instructor to follow) novice session on my 250. Theres a thread here about it. I bought a 600 because, There was very little room for lap time improvement on the 250. I rode I group, very briefly and the got kicked to advanced.

Thanks to my 250 experience.

My point was, take the 250 to the track and learn. Its a great tool, even in novice. As a novice rider on a 250 you will be working harded than anyone on a 600. Learning to row the gearbox comfortably in a track setting is invaluable if your moving up to a 600. (thats not the only thing you learn on a 250) Its alot eaiser to handle being fast on a 250, than it is on a 600. The speeds involved are alot lower and therefore give you more time to practice not only your shifting but everything else.

Now, Im by no means advocating a 250 in advanced. I dont even ride mine in advanced. (except at autobahn north)
I will say....... riding my 250 into intermediate paid HUGE dividends when I got kicked up to advanced on my FZ.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote