ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #1
jent
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Question Exhaust suggestions (priorities probably different from most)

Basically I have two things I am in the process of considering, and want everyone’s opinion on such. The primary goal for the change is to get something slightly louder and more noticeable, I hate how quiet I am next to cars. Some extra power could be nice, but not the main priority.

The first question is common, slip on or full exhaust. I been thinking slip on, because here is my understanding....a full exhaust will provide more top end power, but may cause the low end to suffer a bit. Because of that I been considering a slip on. The primarily use of the bike is ridding in the city, and in traffic, having to start and stop quite a lot, so keeping it easy to get moving is a priority. Do you guys agree that a slip on may be the better solution for those needs? Or do you feel I am miss-informed and will enjoy the extra power of a full exhaust over the entire band?

The second question is what brands should I consider. The biggest thing I want is a quiet exhaust. Granted I want to get louder than the stock muffler, but from the sounds of it most after market mufflers are incredibly loud. So I want suggestions as to what exhaust would be louder than stock, but quieter than most after market mufflers.

For what it is worth, I do tend to like deeper, more throaty muffler sounds. But that is only a minor consideration to the two things I mentioned above.

Thanks everyone for your input, look forward to hearing your advice
jent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Generally - slipons do nothing for performance on these particular bikes, and add nothing but aesthetics and noise.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #3
jent
ninjette.org member

I am fine with that, noise is my primary concern, to be more noticeable while driving.

Performance would be nice, but I am not willing to add top end performance at the cost of low end performance. So I would absolutely take a full exhaust, if that is not the case. But if that is the case, then a slip on seems like a better solution for me.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A full exhaust (with the accompanying jetting mods) will not hurt performance noticeably anywhere in the rev range on a 250, but will gain a bit up on top. The AreaP dyno from their site is posted below:

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #5
jent
ninjette.org member

Okay, so that looks really positive.

The next question would be, what is the quietest full exhaust you would recommend?

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #6
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

two brothers and area p slip-ons are loud, yoshimura is way to expensive but I like the soft grawl from the akrapovic slip-ons.

At least, that's what I decided after watching 50.000 vids on youtube just on those slip-ons. I haven't got the money nor the time at the moment, but I'd choose the akrapovic.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

People tend to like the stuff that Kerry does at AreaP, and he makes both a "Quiet" muffler, as well as offering a sound attenuator for his standard-version muffler. At this point there are a number of other manufacturers also making full systems for the 250, and I'm sure that some of them offer sound attenuators too.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I put a Jardine full exhaust on, it sounds much louder while on the bike so much so I was concerned it was to loud. My wife and I leave for work at the same time so we follow each other for about 5 miles, she says even the much louder exhaust is unnoticeable to her while driving. I think jardine is about the same volume as 2bros, but a little deeper just to add some perspective. Good luck and hope you find one you like.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #9
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big mike View Post

At least, that's what I decided after watching 50.000 vids on youtube just on those slip-ons. I haven't got the money nor the time at the moment, but I'd choose the akrapovic.
must have spent 2 weeks straight filtering through vids and dreaming. waiting for a bike is painfull.!!! IMO the akrapovic is the best for its price with a nice clean yet powerfull sound. And how can you go wrong with Carbon fibre???
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #10
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5evenz View Post
must have spent 2 weeks straight filtering through vids and dreaming. waiting for a bike is painfull.!!! IMO the akrapovic is the best for its price with a nice clean yet powerfull sound. And how can you go wrong with Carbon fibre???
No I already got the bike, but it has still its stock exhaust on. Looking to change that but I just can't choose, there are just too many options

I agree on the akrapovic though

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #11
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
The system you are describing sounds like AreaP. I had the same priorities as you regarding changing the exhaust note, but not increasing volume, and AreaP's Quiet Core system does that. It also increases horsepower, is backed by Ninjette-specific research and top notch customer service. Lots of members here have them, and I've never heard a bad word said.

Oh, and the slip-ons don't help your performance, they tend to increase the volume of your performance so they sound like they help your performance. But they don't. To me they are the complete opposite of the Area P Quiet Core, which has the technology without the volume.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #12
JBedney
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

If you want something different and loud, try this one

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66733
JBedney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #13
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

I wanted the same thing for my '11 Ninja 250r. I went with the 2 Bros Black Series CF slip-on. Got it for $400, installation was simple (1/2 hr), it sounds absolutley great, and with a Factory Pro jet kit, the bike runs great.

I put a 2 Bros p1X power tip in it to keep the noise from being too excessive. It is louder than stock and it sounds badass. But it will not piss off the neighbors or the law

My buddy has the same exhaust on his '10 Ninja 250R that is all stock with no jetting and it runs fine as well. My bike just seems to start quicker, idle more smoothly, and def has smoother throttle.

If you go full system, you may get some power gains but you are going to have to work more at tuning the bike. (Jetting will be required as will some air intake mods as well, most likely)
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

AREA P. They offer the most gains performance wise and a really great, deep, and throaty sound. Their customer service is top notch and they are a pleasure to deal with. Their exhaust looks great too! You won't regret getting an exhaust system from them.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #15
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

Full exhaust is worth it. Really wakes the bike up at all speeds IMO.. will have to jet and all that good stuff but very noticeable difference over a slip on.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #16
GreenNinja123
ninjette.org member

Name: N/A

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I was in the same boat as you, I wanted something that is louder than stock and not TOO loud. (also I don't care about performance on a 250.)

if I had the money, I'll probably go with a yoshi slip-on
but I was tight on money so I went with a Leo Vince Slip-on.

I brought it here (seems to be the best price I can found online recently)
$269.99 shipped
http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servl...CE-8046/Detail

What I liked about it is , it comes with a silencer
so you can decide to use it with it or not.

here's a vid of it (forward to the very end to hear the sound)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qdNpfK4QGM
GreenNinja123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:23 AM   #17
jent
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

I am leaning towards getting the AreaP full exhaust with the quiet core. It sounds exactly what I am wanting. But I have a few questions:

Does anyone have it? Quiet is awesome, but is it at least a little quieter than the stock muffler?

Do you think that HP gains are as much as presented in that dyno graph? Or do you think that is a bit optimistic?

I think that as soon as I can afford it, I will most likely get it. When I install it I will probably go ahead and remove the intake snorkel as well.

The last worry I have, is I am not knowlagable or skilled with carburetors. With that said, I also live at about 5k feet above sealevel. With a full exhaust and removing the snorkel will I need to re-jet or could I just shim? I assume shimming would be easier than doing a re-jet. But obviously running lean would not be a good idea.

Thanks again everyone

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:45 PM   #18
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

Installation isn't all that bad just as long as you follow the DIY sections. If your going to remove the snorkel and shim the needle, might as well re jet it completely since you'll be dealing with the carbs anyways. Also since you'll be dealing with all that, go full system. You'll loose mpg either way but complete re jet will be more recognizable but your bike will feel much different and worth it. Look up jetting specs in the DIY section as well if you decide that route. yet again if you just want the sound and saving some money, go with a slip on, snorkel delete, and shims. if you want performance and sound also with price not an issue, go all out!
i went full system yoshi you might like. got it for approx 500 with free shipping. if interested, i'll try to hunt down the website for ya.
Dr. Ew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM   #19
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I thought the general concensus is that loud pipes do pretty much nothing for safety. People generally dont even look around when paramedics have sirens running, what makes you think they'll even care you have a loud muffler coming up next to them. If anything, it'd just annoy you more. If i could have it my way, I'd love a muffler half as noisy as stock is now.

Then again, if you like it noisy, a slip-on will do the job but I think you should listen to a bunch of them to see what you like more before. All of them sound so different from one another. It's exactly like music, personal preference.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 06:12 AM   #20
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jent View Post
Thanks everyone for the great responses!

I am leaning towards getting the AreaP full exhaust with the quiet core. It sounds exactly what I am wanting. But I have a few questions:

Does anyone have it? Quiet is awesome, but is it at least a little quieter than the stock muffler?

Do you think that HP gains are as much as presented in that dyno graph? Or do you think that is a bit optimistic?

I think that as soon as I can afford it, I will most likely get it. When I install it I will probably go ahead and remove the intake snorkel as well.

The last worry I have, is I am not knowlagable or skilled with carburetors. With that said, I also live at about 5k feet above sealevel. With a full exhaust and removing the snorkel will I need to re-jet or could I just shim? I assume shimming would be easier than doing a re-jet. But obviously running lean would not be a good idea.

Thanks again everyone
I have the AreaP quiet core. You might PM Kerry or send an email to Area P. Kerry is AreaP's owner and he is a member here on this board. He'll give you good answers, too, and is very accessible.

1) It isn't quieter than stock. I don't know of one that is. However, it is quiet enough to remain legal everywhere I'm aware of, something most other after market exhausts can't do. Stock is 79dbs at idle, the Area P Quiet Core is 83dbs at idle. To me not a noticeable increase, though I love the change in sound. At speed, Quiet Core is 95bd and stock is 93db. Again, not noticeable difference, sounds exactly same loudness to me, but a lower tone.

2) The dyno is realistic. Area P's integrity is without question, as is their R&D on the ninjette. I definitely notice the difference on my bike, and while I don't have access to a dyno here to confirm, roughly translating speed/gearing gains to HP by math backs up their claims.

3) You need to rejet. I have recently posted elsewhere on the topic of whether to do this yourself, but if you are uncomfortable with that, just have it installed for you. I did it myself with little mechanical background, and it worked fine using DIY's found here. However, I regretted it during the process and wish I'd taken it in. It isn't too complicated, but there is quite a bit on the line, and it was the source of some uncertainty and stress for me while I had the carbs out (twice) getting it all sorted. Taking it to a shop to have it done will make sure it is done right and also allow access to a dyno and sensors that will help dial in the carb mixture screws and make life much easier.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; August 2nd, 2011 at 04:11 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM   #21
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

akrapovic is a awesome looking slipon ;] http://youtu.be/3qwDopuArkA

Old August 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #22
TheTKDSpartan
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
akrapovic is a awesome looking slipon ;] http://youtu.be/3qwdopuarka
yay!!!!! Thats my youtube video!!!! And my bike as well!!! Oh how i love that exhaust!!!!
TheTKDSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote