ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Choke has no effect on idle... Help.

I have a 2006 250 that I bought used about 2 months ago. It starts up perfect every time and has a perfect idle at 1400 rpms once it gets warmed up. But here is the problem. It just now dropped into the high 50's at night. So early morning when I start up the bike it doesn't fire up on the first couple of attempts. I try to add the choke but that has no effect at all on the rpms. I checked the cable and it is working properly. It does start but only after I hit the starter button more than 3 times. SO what should I check for next? Also the bike has NO problems once it gets warmed up. Runs perfectly. I have tried Googleing it, but found no results. Anyone else ever had this problem?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

My first question has to be: does the choke do anything once your bike is on/warm? If the rpm's don't raise when the choke is on (when the bike is warm), you sir have yourself a problem.

If the choke does do something, then just put it full choke (push it all the way damnnnnit), push the starter and give it a bit of throttle at the same time. It should start up fine.
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
How are you starting it? I use the half choke method at the bottom of this page:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F

I never have any problems with my idle not jacking up with choke on.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
full choke isn't necessary...

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
My first question has to be: does the choke do anything once your bike is on/warm? If the rpm's don't raise when the choke is on (when the bike is warm), you sir have yourself a problem..
It does not do anything to the rpms. So I must have a serious problem I guess. But everything else is perfect. The previous owner did not ride to often in the winter so maybe he didn't store it right and the carbs are gunked up. But wouldn't that cause other problems?

And the weather is warming back up a bit so it started up fine this morning. I am just worried I will be running into a problem this fall/winter.

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
try opening up the carbs and cleaning everything. if nothing else is not working outside the carbs (ie the cables and such) that seems like the next logical step that isn't expensive

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
How are you starting it? I use the half choke method at the bottom of this page:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F
At first I start it with no choke to see if it will start right up. Over the summer it always started on my first attempt so I never choked it. So when it was cold earlier this week I just pressed the starter button like four times and it eventually started up with it idling at 1000rpm's. And it eventually got up to 1400rpm when it got up to temp.

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
so are you having trouble starting it cold without the choke?? that's not surprising.

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Jono

Quote:
try opening up the carbs and cleaning everything. if nothing else is not working outside the carbs (ie the cables and such) that seems like the next logical step that isn't expensive
I plan on cleaning and syncing the carbs when I do my valve adjustment. Which needs to be done soon. Haven't had time yet. I checked the choke cable and it works just fine. It slides the "bar thingy" over like it should but it just doesn't effect the idle. It's weird!

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #10
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

If your choke does nothing to the RPM's then the cable might not be working properly. Pull off your fairings and tank and look at the carbs. Check if linkage is correct. I'm not 100 percent sure about the 2006, but it should be similar. If it is, it should be screwed onto the carb above the head and it should move properly when the choke is engaged. If that is all connected properly, I would first run some carb cleaner through (SEAFOAM), and if that doesn't work, pull them out and clean them.

As for starting with full choke, yea, you really don't need to/shouldn't. However, I have found that if I'm having a problem starting (either with the gradual method or just at half), I just crank it up and hit the start button (possibly giving it a bit of throttle), and she starts up perfectly and I immediately turn the choke down.

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
I just crank it up and hit the start button (possibly giving it a bit of throttle), and she starts up perfectly and I immediately turn the choke down.
giving it throttle leans it. using choke richens it, and then throttle leans it back down. thats the same effect as giving half choke...

the valve adjustment will help a lot with starting. While you've got everything open to do the adjustment, cleaning the carbs could never hurt. Try adding seafoam. That's also never going to hurt in this situation

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Jono

Quote:
so are you having trouble starting it cold without the choke?? that's not surprising.
If I add choke it doesn't do anything. It has only been cold a couple mornings so I haven't gotten many chances to practice my cold starting. But if the choke doesn't work I am worried about it starting when it gets colder than 50 degrees.

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Jono

Alright thanks for the advice. I will first start by getting Seafoam and trying that. If that doesn't do the trick I will yank the carbs out and clean them when I do the valve adjustment.

Old September 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #14
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
giving it throttle leans it. using choke richens it, and then throttle leans it back down. thats the same effect as giving half choke...

That's right . IMHO (i could easily be wrong), but it might just give it that extra tad of richness that the bike needs to start. In my experience it's hard to judge exactly with the choke where you are for a lot of people (full/half/none) so if you just turn it up, then use a little throttle, you hit the sweet spot. Just my 2 cents.

Anyways, sorry for jacking this thread @Jono, but since the mechanism works properly, something in the carbs must not be working or it could clogged. Like previously stated use the sea foam and if it doesn't work yank them and clean everything.

Goodluck

Old September 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
when you clean them, check these pics out. there's also a good how-to for cleaning the carbs thoroughly.

my advice is use an air compressor instead of copper wire. never seems like a good idea to me to jam metal into the jets

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Carburetor_photos

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #16
Jono

Alright thanks. I will definitely be using those photos to help with the cleaning process. I ran Berryman B12 through a tank of gas but it didn't help with the choke issue. So I am going to have to yank out the carbs when I do my valve adjustment. Oh well, just one of the benefits of buying a used bike. Haha