ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #1
RedNinja21
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Need help on shimming carb needles

My 2nd attempt on removing the screws on the carb to get to the needles. 1st time hit a wall stripped a little bit of the heads of a couple of screw because I didn't have jis screwdrivers.

So, I went and ordered jis screwdrivers from RJR Machine Tools (slowest shipping and worst customer service I've ever encountered). Tonight, my 2nd attempt with the right tools, but didn't help one bit! And I managed to strip the heads even more.

I just can't get to the screws on the inside for the life of me. The frame of the bike is in the way, after being pissed for half an hour, I gave up.

Now, my last resort seems like to yank the carb out and take it from there. I've looked around and it seems like it's not easy. There are a dozen of hoses connected to the carb and the air filter box too.

IMAG0005.jpg

Old October 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

Drill them out? Drill a small hole in the center of the head, then using the bolts you were able to remove as a reference for the next bit size, drill so that the top pops off the screw. Then once the black covers are off, use a pair of pliars to grip the threads and twist them out.
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #3
luisd_08
Luis

Name: Luis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 "Metallic Island Blue"

That happened to me too when I tried to unscrew the caps to get to the needles. I ended up stripping one of screws so bad that you couldn't even tell it was a screw. All I did was clamp a pair of locking pliers on to the head of the screw and gave it a twist. Did the trick.
Shimming the needles was more than definitely worth the effort.

Old October 25th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Take a cutting wheel on a dremel and grind a slot into the head of the screw. Use a flat head screw-driver to take it out of the carb. shim, and replace the screw with a hex screw. I'll look around for what dimensions the screws need to be. They won't strip as long as you use the right size hex key, no matter how many times you have to shim

*edit*
found the thread:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...arb+screws+hex
*/edit*

*edit 2*
also found this thread. It has measurements for the hex bolts so you can find them at a local hardware store:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...light=carb+hex
*/Edit 2*
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #5
RedNinja21
ninjette.org member

Oh great. Thanks alot guys, I'll try it wth pliers first. Hopefully, this works or I'm about to wave the white flag.

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #6
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

How'd it go?
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #7
RedNinja21
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. I finally shimmed my carb needles last night. I had a hard time getting to the 2 screws on the inside. But, after flexing my muscle a little bit, I was able to move those suckers and unscrewed them.

I was really careful about the rubber underneath the cap, because I read alot about them being fragile and expensive to replace. I put 2 washers for each needle because I have a slip-on and going to de-snorkel.

I got the hex bolts suggested above then realized I didn't have the right sized hex key. I hit up Home Depot and got 7/64 in. hex key (for those who will change those screws to hex bolts). Going to finish up tonight, but won't be able to take it for a spin just yet because I figured since I have the fairings and gas tank off, I might as well change the spark plugs too. So, I ordered them this morning, along with feeler gauges. It's scheduled to be delivered early next week.

Once I change that, then I'm going to see how much difference does shimming the needles make.