ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 31st, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

First Set of Gear (Winter)

I'm finally going to be able to purchase my first motorcycle when I get back home around Thanksgiving(currently deployed military). I've been wanting one for years and finally in a position to get one. Since it's going to be winter when I'm starting to learn to ride, the first set of gear I'm going to get is going to have to be tailored to the weather. I plan on riding all year round as much as I can, so long as there's no snow/ice on the road while I'm learning.

I was looking at a couple combinations of gear that would work for the winter but still be good for summer months and was hoping for some experianced advice.

1:
Dainese New Delmar Jacket(Non Perf)
Dainese Leather Pants
Balaclava and maybe Knox winter undergear.

2:
Rev'it Defender GTX Jacket and Pants

3:
The New Delmar Jacket with the GTX overpants since you can take out the liner.

I was thinking that number 3 would be the most practical I just don't know if having warm clothes underneath the non-perf leather jacket would be warm enough for ~20's F weather. Either way I would get a Balaclava and underarmor stuff for winter. What are your thoughts for year round practicality. I know I could go cheaper on the gear and get a leather set and winter set probably for the same price, but I just seem to be drawn to the Dainese quality from reviews and D-skin leather.

The boots/gloves/helmet would probably stay the same for all. Was looking at Dainese Torq/Axial boots, and Full Metal gloves, Bell Star helmet(I like that photochromatic Visor and my headshape seems to be condusive to the helmet).
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Ebony, 2012 BMW F800R White

First off Welcome to the obsession! Secondly Congrats on starting small and starting the right way with gear and everything. Cant comment much on the gear choices as I plan to garage my bike for the winter, but I'm sure there's plenty of folks here who can help.

Also, if your returning to the Va Beach area, come on over and introduce yourself at HRSportbikes, Its a local Hampton Roads/Norfolk area Sportbike club started by a friend of mine from base.
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguy1288 View Post
First off Welcome to the obsession! Secondly Congrats on starting small and starting the right way with gear and everything. Cant comment much on the gear choices as I plan to garage my bike for the winter, but I'm sure there's plenty of folks here who can help.

Also, if your returning to the Va Beach area, come on over and introduce yourself at HRSportbikes, Its a local Hampton Roads/Norfolk area Sportbike club started by a friend of mine from base.
Thanks, I saw one of your other posts and registered there like a week ago or so. I'd love to meet more local people that ride, everyone of my friends at my command are of the, "don't get the 250, you'll get sick of it in a week," variety. Even one who was an MSF instructor for his last command. I just hope I'm not the only one riding this winter lol. It doesn't get that cold in VA, I'll have to drag you out of the garage when I start riding.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Ebony, 2012 BMW F800R White

Yeah everyone at my base said the same thing. So far Im impressed pretty impressed its faster than most(if not all) of the cars that Ive driven and its definitely plenty quick enough to get yourself into trouble so I dont see myself ever getting rid of it lol, I might pick up another bike in a few years but Ill still hold onto the little 250.

I might be persuaded to drag it out so long as its not snowing
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 04:22 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I have come to the conclusion that it is virtually impossible to have year round gear for southeastern weather. It's much too hot and humid in the summer for gear with only a few vents here and there, and far too cold and rainy in the winter to have mesh gear with liners. So, I've gone down the "winter gear" and "summer gear" route, and am building up a collection for both. Despite my separation of summer and winter... I believe that Fall, Spring, and Winter can maintain what our gear sees as a single season. At the same time, most of the summer gear can also delve into the Fall and Spring. Granted, it must be noted that I say this with a very limited budget. Nicer gear that is well designed may suit the purpose better than the gear I've tested.

Having been said, option 3 seems wisest, as the protection level you maintain with leather should generally be higher than with textiles, while a textile pant should provide you the versatility that you need in winter especially.

One thing to keep in mind with multi-season gear, is the amount of space the winter liners take up and how it effects the fit. For example, I have a Cortech mesh jacket that fits decently in winter, with the rain liner and insulated liner in, but as soon as I take all that out, the thing is like a garbage bag.

Oh, and don't forget gloves and boots!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote