ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 13th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Stuck ignition lock

Anyone?

Noticed my key has been a little sticky after the past few months. So I figured I'd add a little graphite, which I do with all of my other various locks of different types. Suddenly I couldn't get the key to turn out of "LOCK" (with the steering turned and the bars locked..)

So after 15 minutes of sitting there wiggling the key, forcefully, gently, and everything in between -- suddenly it popped into the "ON" position and I was able to leave the house for the day. I parked the bike, and was unable to get the key to turn back to ON after I shut it off.

More graphite, more wiggling. No luck. Light taps with a hammer during wiggling. No luck.

Then I did the unthinkable. Carb and choke cleaner flush of the lock, no luck. Then I added some wet-lube, still no luck. I was able to loosen up the transition from LOCK to OFF, but I still can't get it in the ON position so the bike is sitting there being a pain in my as$ again.

Going to go price out a new ignition switch/lock cylinder. Looks to be two sets of rivets holding the switch to the lock, and the lock to the bike frame -- so I'm looking at drilling out rivets etc...

Anyone deal with this nightmare before?

Old June 13th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2
corksil

96 bucks for an ignition switch/lock. 100 bucks for gas cap lock and key.

Or 230 for what looks like all three locks..

Old June 13th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you need to flood it with a wet lube like wd40 or kerosene and "key-****" the tumbler to unstick the little rods in there. rotating it doesn't help. in and out. flushing each time.

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #4
corksil

Okay I will key-**** the dogshit out of it's ****ing god damn asshole bitch **** **** ****.

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #5
corksil

EDIT how come asshole, damn, and bitch aren't censored? Are those words not naughty enough?

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ass hole is a donkey that has been fistulated, damn is a verb to condemn, bitch is a female dog.

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #7
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Had similar issue with my first 08. Luckily for me it happened within first 300 miles. Dealer had bike for 3 weeks. This was right when new model launched. Had to wait for parts from Asia. They replaced all locks to key the same, but only have me one key....

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #8
corksil

230 + shipping and two week wait time will get me three matching locks for ignition, gas tank, and rear storage. Just called partzilla.

Old June 13th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
96 bucks for an ignition switch/lock. 100 bucks for gas cap lock and key.

Or 230 for what looks like all three locks..
Less than $17 for a replica.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221462893985...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They make replica fuel doors too. I paid under $20 for one for a pregen and it turned out that I didn't need it. Despite the similar looks, the keys are different than OEM but if you buy both replicas a locksmith can probably make them match eachother.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #10
corksil

This is really frustrating I have spent the past half hour lubing, flushing, and wiggling my key in the ignition.

It'll smoothly go from LOCK to OFF but I can't get to ON. Won't go clockwise past OFF.

REally irritating the uckf out of me

Old June 13th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #11
corksil

Nevermind I just figured it out. First try.

The little plate (that you see) with the door in it had somehow rotated itself 180*.

I barely stuck the key in the lock (just the tip) and rotated that outer dustcoveringdoorplatemotherufcker and bam the key rotated to ON at the first attempt.

Hopefully this thread helps someone else.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
now that's something i have never seen before. i'll have to remember that.

Old June 13th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i wonder if someone was ****ing with your lock

Old June 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #14
corksil

Uploading video. I don't recall turning that little door thing 180*, so it's quite possible that someone was fcking with my lock.

The correct orientation of the door has the small dent on the LEFT of the hole. Just like your gas can.

Uploading a video to make this trickery quite clear. Could be a simple *disable motorcycle so friends don't ride it when you are out of town* trick.

Just like my hkp30... you can drop the mag and insert a special key inside the back of the grip, turn it 90*, and the gun is 'locked' -- safety is locked in safe, slide is locked in forward position, hammer is locked forward... it's essentially a 'disabled' firearm. Tricky trickery. Might prevent some kid from meeting an early demise.

Old June 13th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #15
corksil

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82...it?usp=sharing

Video.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

You know, Google has another feature-filled video hosting service.

Anyway, I don't think that works on a good lock so something may be broken inside. I'll try to dig up my pics of the internals.

Edit:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...904#post636904

Inside the lock shroud. It looks like there are at least a couple plates above the tumbler shaft. If I'm looking at it right, the top one clamps to the bottom one with bendy finger tabs and the bottom on locks to the rest of the cylinder with two differently-sized pegs.

Old June 15th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I just checked and confirmed that there are two fingers that are supposed to hold it in place and keep it from turning (the part it is attached to cannot turn because of the pegs).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZkIVECJ.jpg (49.8 KB, 2 views)