ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #1
Obeymando_
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Armando

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki ninja 250r

Chain jumping and causing loud grinding

So I noticed my chain being pretty loose so I tightened it to the 1" or so to where it's suppose to be, but now when I ride it... The take off is fine, but as soon as I pull the clutch there's a loud grinding noise coming from the chain. I look down to see what it's doing and it looks like the chain is basically jumping off of the chain buffer. I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Obeymando_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Is the chain in good condition and well lubricated? It sounds like it has a bunch of stiff links and isn't following the sprockets properly.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Obeymando_
ninjette.org newbie

I bought he bike from a friend and I haven't done any lubricating myself. I was thinking of buying some today and trying it out. It's just the chain slack on the top seems to have too much laying on the chain buffer, but if it's the lube I'll definitely go get that today

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Funny timing on this.

On Monday when I road to work as I came off the interstate down the exit ramp I pulled in the clutch and coasted to the stop light I heard clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk......

Just adjusted the chain a couple weeks ago and it is very loose again. I figure the chain is toast.

So I rode my sons bike in today.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #5
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Chain is most likely toast. Links are seized. Once this happens it should be replaced. Lube will help for sure but in the end, it's done for.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Obeymando_
ninjette.org newbie

Is it worth it to try with the lube so I can ride it while I get the chain or is it just chain replacement and that's it?

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You need to have some decent chain lube on hand, to lubricate your chain for its regular maintenance, which is every few hundred miles, so it won't hurt to lube this one and see how it behaves. But RacinNinja is most likely right... once a chain behaves that badly, it has probably suffered a lot of abuse. Take a look at the sprockets too. If they show signs of "hooking" (becoming hook shaped from wear on the load side) they should be replaced too.

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #8
Obeymando_
ninjette.org newbie

Would I be able to buy an aftermarket chain instead of the oem one or does it strictly have to be oem?

Old September 14th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Any decent O-ring or X-ring 520 chain that's the correct length is fine. I like RK X-ring chains myself, but there are lots to choose from. You should read about chains for the little Ninjas.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Final_Drive

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
There are certain things that need to be done to adjust the chain properly. Watch this video to make sure you are adjusting it correctly - http://canyonchasers.com/video/howto/chain.php

It sounds like it may be past just needing adjustment and lubing though. Take a close look at the teeth on the front and rear sprockets. Chances are they are worn or hooked. Post a photo if you aren't sure.

Most likely you will need to replace the chain and the sprockets. Using a new chain on worn sprockets isn't a good idea, and will wear the chain much faster.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:34 PM   #11
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Another thing to look for is how much of a difference there is in chain slack on different parts of the chain. If you have some spots that are super tight but other spots that are super loose, that's a sign that you have a lot of kinks in the chain and it should be replaced. Further adjustment doesn't really help because you're supposed to adjust to the tightest spots of the chain but a chain that far gone will still have way too much slop elsewhere. If you adjust it tighter than that though, it will be too tight on the tight spots of the chain and be just as bad and only further stretch out the chain.

Don't forget to replace both the chain and sprockets at the same time. I imagine that a chain that worn will have equally worn sprockets. I personally prefer DID chains and JT sprockets.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #12
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeymando_ View Post
Would I be able to buy an aftermarket chain instead of the oem one or does it strictly have to be oem?
Not that we want to spend all your money but you should probably look at a few other things too. If your friend was not lubing his chain you may want to do an oil & filter change as soon as possible and check if the brake pads are or almost worn out.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeymando_ View Post
........ I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome, Armando !!!

I would check that the wheel is aligned and in the same place that it was when you adjusted the slack.

It is very important to loose first and then torque the shaft and nut up to the specified value while pushing the wheel all the way aft and keeping the alignment.

Here is how (for Pre-2008 Ninja 250):
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...l_alignment%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...chain_slack%3F

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote