ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 30th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

ZZR-250 Front Brake Question

Well it may have been answered but I giving this way a shot first. I seem to have a slight shudder when coming to a complete stop coming from the front wheel area. It is only when just before the complete stop. Bear in mind I am not locking the pads up but applying gentle drag with both front and back brakes while going through the gearing down process. Any answers or ideas? All mounting bolts for the caliper are tight and nothing loose up front. Could a bearing drying out of grease be a cause? There is not heat in the disc when this happening, as I can grab it with the bare hand. The disc is not bent.
Could crud embedded in the pads maybe cause this. So many questions!!!!
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
Well it may have been answered but I giving this way a shot first. I seem to have a slight shudder when coming to a complete stop coming from the front wheel area. It is only when just before the complete stop. Bear in mind I am not locking the pads up but applying gentle drag with both front and back brakes while going through the gearing down process. Any answers or ideas? All mounting bolts for the caliper are tight and nothing loose up front. Could a bearing drying out of grease be a cause? There is not heat in the disc when this happening, as I can grab it with the bare hand. The disc is not bent.
Could crud embedded in the pads maybe cause this. So many questions!!!!
I have the same issue recently and already cleaned off the disk and sprayed down caliper/pads with break cleaner. Im takin the bike into the shop for em to test drive and see what it can be. Ill keep you posted on what I find out.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Only happens with the front brake on? With the brake off there is no shudder? Most likely cause is a warped rotor.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #4
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Only happens when I am almost stopped. If it was a warped disc it would be all the time with a shudder. So I would rule that theory out from the start.

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

True, a warped disk would most likely be even more noticeable at higher speeds, you're right.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
True, a warped disk would most likely be even more noticeable at higher speeds, you're right.
I googled around and lot of people with same issue, several different types of sportbikes said it can be brake pad debris left on the rotor to make it uneven. Like break out a micrometer uneven.

One solution was to take some 400-600 grit sand paper and smooth out the rotor. Im gonna take a look at mine and see if there is uneven wear or excess debris.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 04:38 AM   #7
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Sounds logical. Will clean the pads and give the disc a clean up and see how it goes. This bike being a 2001 was in storage for 5 years and had a miserly 2500 K's on it when I picked it up a month ago. Other than the slow down shudder it is perfect, just like it came from the showroom floor. Thanks for the replies.