ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #1
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Name: Logan

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Vulcan 800 Classic and 2005 KX250F

Talking To be rider from Glendale

So it looks like I'll be acquiring a little 250 of my very own! But first a little back story. I am 17 years old, I am currently a senior at my high school, and have finally convinced my parents to let me purchase a Ninja 250.

I have ridden dirt bikes since I was a little kid so I have some experience on the back of an iron horse. I have always wanted to ride street bikes but have never bothered to bring it up with my parental units. I just assumed they would say no. Last summer something inside me awoke and gave me the courage to finally ask them and their answer was......"no." "Well that's ok just persevere," I said. Waited a few months and I brought it up again, this time they thought about it then said no. Not to be discouraged I just backed off and laid low. Today I asked them again and they said yes with the condition of me achieving the rank of Eagle Scout!

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself! My grandfather said he will equal whatever money I can front as an early grad present meaning I have plenty of funds for a brand new 250. I'm going to buy used, though, so I can get some good safety gear.

This is where you all come in I would appreciate if people would throw in some suggestions for good leathers, boots, gloves, helmets and maybe even some worthwhile upgrades. I also have a main question:

Would it be safe for me to wear just a jacket instead of the jacket/pant combo? the majority of my riding will be from home to school (maybe 3 miles, no freeway)
1994juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Good leathers - Icon, Alpinestars, Scorpion, AGV Sport, Speed and Strength
Great leathers - Dainese
I suggest getting perforated leather, it gets hot out - especially in summer. During the winter just layer up and you wont even notice the extra flowing air but you will love it in the summer, not that you wont still fry at stop lights...

When you get gloves, go for gauntlet gloves (extend past the wrist.) You're going to want that extra protection. Great (and expensive) gloves include the Knox Handroids, Held Phantoms, and Hero..something Pro lol I think its XPR or something like that.

Boots!
Get full length boots. They're not as comfortable, they're not as easy to walk around in (though I personally don't mind walking in mine) but they provide superior protection over any others. Even ankle high boots are not enough, you want them to go past the ankle.

Look in to Dainese boots, Alpinestars (the SMX line) or SIDIs which I personally have and love.

Do not skimp on your helmet, it protects your damn head! Bilt helmets from cycle gear get the job done and are cheap, but they feel just that. Spending extra $$$ on helmets is often worth it. You want to make sure the helmet is squishing your face, almost painfully, when you get it. It will break in and fit just right if you do it like that. Keep in mind that all helmets fit people differently, if you try on only one piece of gear before you buy it (ie, instead of buying online) make sure its the helmet. Do not buy used either, always get a new helmet.

While you're looking for a good helmet keep these in mind:
Weight
Field of vision
Fit
Potential for venting air

Shoei make great helmets as well as Arai. HJC, Scorpion, and Icon make good helmets as well. I personally have a Nexx XR1R Carbon and I am absolutely in love with it as are anyone else I know that own it.

As far as pants go, I know plenty of guys that wear just jeans; but when they crash, and they have crashed, they should be considered lucky to have suffered minimal damage below the waste. I personally have kevlar lined jeans which you can buy from Sartso, Alpinestars, Draggin Jeans, etc.

There's lots of great info on this site, take a look around!
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

I decided to break up that novel; here's another short blurb about upgrades.

Frame sliders are generally a good idea. They protect your plastics in case of a drop, which you can almost expect from any new guy. I know guys who have gone down upwards of 50mph where sliders saved their plastics from a fair amount of damage. Some will argue that the sliders can cause frames to bend or bikes to flip if crashed at high speeds but I personally believe the pros outweigh the cons.

Also look in to getting flushmount turn signals. If you do drop the bike with stock signals they usually punch right through the plastics (a quick search on the site will verify that) so I almost think of flush mounts as a little extra plastic protection along with looking better.

After that aftermarket slip on exhausts are popular, though I recommend getting a full exhaust. You can also shim your carb needles, rejet, get a tank pad, FENDER ELIMINATOR BECAUSE THOSE THINGS ARE U-G-L-Y, get new rear sets and clip ons for a more aggressive position. Change the gauges, add LEDs, get HID headlights... Have fun!

Which Glendale are you in? CA?

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #4
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Yeah Glendale CA(should have specified). Although I do have a license plate cover on my truck that says "I'd rather be in Glendale... Arizona"

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

You are clearly highly misguided then

Truck you say???
Hmmm you could be of use to us So Cal guys...

get your tenderfoot ass up to Eagle Scout!

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #6
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Not misguided, just a conservative stuck in California.

I'd be glad to offer up the services of my baby, 350 foot pounds of pure manliness!

Luckily all I have left is my eagle project so I could be finished by the end of March.

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #7
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #8
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Thank you.

Old February 7th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #9
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Truck ---> bike transport
Bike transport ---> Track
Track = love

Once you get a couple thousand miles under your belt we'll drag you out there with us and you'll thank us every day for it

Old February 7th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Truck ---> bike transport
Bike transport ---> Track
Track = love
^^ this is the only intelligent thing Max has said lately, so you should really feel honored that it was directed at you sorry max...

anyhow, welcome to ninjette Logan! I got my bike the summer between junior and senior year, so I know how it goes with the parents thing. Nice job getting them on board Oh and I wish you the best of luck on getting your eagle! I helped out with all my buddies' eagle projects because they do a lot of good for your community. Plus I wish I hadn't dropped out of scouts in 4th grade...

Again, welcome!! And good luck with Max and the SoCal guys.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Welcome!

I don't know if I'd follow the whole 'deform yourself to get a good helmet fit' route but yeah...My advice would be, find something that meets the safety standards. Stop by a dealer and try on some helmets. It should feel snug but not overly tight. If your head starts to hurt after 5-10 minutes, you might want to consider a smaller size. Do keep in mind that it will break-in but again, wouldn't suggest getting a helmet that rips your ears off.

Old February 7th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #12
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Welcome aboard
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Welcome to the forums... Max did give you a ton of good advice... and us SoCal guys are always looking to meet new members! Keep your eyes peeled in the Group Ride forum for our next get together... we usually get together at least once a month
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I cant have my 30 round magazines here!!

**** ca!!!
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I cant have my 30 round magazines here!!

**** ca!!!
I know right! Although being guilty of owning a few I don't bother taking them to ranges just out to the desert.

Old February 16th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #17
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
to Ninjette!!! !!!

Keep the shiny side up!

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

It has been a while but I got my permit finally so I may be able to get a bike this week.