ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 19th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

High Idle RPM (during/after riding)

Hey everyone,

I noticed in the past 2 months (approximate), that my Ninja will idle correctly at start up, but after riding around and coming to a stop (stoplight or done riding), the idle RPM will be a good amount higher. The starting RPM is around 1300 as per the manual, and it is averaging around 2000 at stop lights, but fluctuates up to a peak of 2500. Does anyone happen to have any idea what I could look into about this or why this is happening?

Thanks!
Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I'm assuming you set the idle while the bike was already warmed up with the idle knob?

If so and it's still doing that, is your throttle sticking? Like when it's at 2500 rpm and you manually push the throttle closed more?
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I'm assuming you set the idle while the bike was already warmed up with the idle knob?

If so and it's still doing that, is your throttle sticking? Like when it's at 2500 rpm and you manually push the throttle closed more?
Thanks for the reply.

I've had the bike for a year (it's a 2012), and never adjusted the idle from when I obtained it, as I never had this issue before, even last Winter. Possibly I should let it idle for a while and see if it happens without riding? Recalling from memory (bit of a fuzzy memory), I believe I've allowed it to idle for 10 minutes before going out, and it still starts off idling at ~1300, then increases after I've ridden.

I considered it could be the throttle sticking, but it appears to be fine, and that it returns to the normal position when I'm off the throttle. Perhaps I can see about adjusting it too.

Old October 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Your engine idle speed should be 1350 +/- 50 rpms. The engine should be completely warmed when it is adjusted.

2000-3000 rpms is a common idle speed range for when the choke is on. They key is reducing the amount of choke (small increments) during the warm up until the bike can maintain a steady set idle speed on it's own. It is also acceptable to ride off with the choke on a short distance until the bike is warmed.

It is also common for the idle speed to change due to varying season (cold-hot) changes, so small idle adjustments may be necessary.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Your engine idle speed should be 1350 +/- 50 rpms. The engine should be completely warmed when it is adjusted.

2000-3000 rpms is a common idle speed range for when the choke is on. They key is reducing the amount of choke (small increments) during the warm up until the bike can maintain a steady set idle speed on it's own. It is also acceptable to ride off with the choke on a short distance until the bike is warmed.

It is also common for the idle speed to change due to varying season (cold-hot) changes, so small idle adjustments may be necessary.
Thanks for the info and tips on idling! I was thinking the temperature could have an effect on it (North East, we're getting cold up here) Next time I go out, I'll look into it and see about the adjustment.

I appreciate all the help!

Old October 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maielstrom View Post
Hey everyone,

I noticed in the past 2 months (approximate), that my Ninja will idle correctly at start up, but after riding around and coming to a stop (stoplight or done riding), the idle RPM will be a good amount higher. The starting RPM is around 1300 as per the manual, and it is averaging around 2000 at stop lights, but fluctuates up to a peak of 2500. Does anyone happen to have any idea what I could look into about this or why this is happening?

Thanks!
As noted, the full-hot idle speed should be 1300. The cold speed is determined by the amount of choke.

After riding for 30 minutes or so, set the idle to 1300.

Before doing that, you could try turning the throttle backward firmly to see if it will drop the RPMs, which would tell you something is hanging-up and not allowing the butterflies to close properly.

A couple other things that could effect idle speed is idle mixture and carb sync. A vacuum leak will also cause the RPMs to rise and "hang" when you close the throttle.

I wouldn't let it idle for 10 minutes to warm up. 3 or 4 minutes is enough to start riding if you set the RPMs around 2000 and back the choke off as soon as possible. It will warm-up a lot faster when riding normally than it will idling.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:05 PM   #7
JAG
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250

2010 Ninja has same problem

After long ride on freeway idle goes high at stop light. I may have narrowed the problem to my
Clogged air filter not sure. The throttle has two cables one may be loose etc. Although it might be the throttle is adjusted higher than normal. It's better than it was. It usually does when very hot outside. I keep some throttle when cold instead of adjusting idle. I did add water to the antifreeze to level the coolant maybe changed the operating temp. Hope you solve your idle problem.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote