ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Okay, so what's that OTHER drain plug for?

I could look this up in the service manual, but mine is at the office at the moment, so I'll just ask.

Just got done with my first oil change. Pulled the main drain plug, then felt underneath and put the socket on another 17 mm bolt, figuring it must be the oil filter cover bolt. It wasn't. I realized my error the moment I unscrewed it and just put it back in (torqued appropriately, of course).

It was identical to the drain plug, complete with crush washer, but oriented vertically. Oil came out of the hole when I removed it.

So what's it for?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Plasmatoast
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R - 08 250R - 03 250EX - 86 KLR 250

the New gen Bikes they added an external Drain, its over the internal screen filter. On the 1st gen they only had the drain in the base, well if you strip the aluminum base with the steel drain bolt then your in for all kinds of fun (ask me how I know). The New gen if that were to happen you could replace the screen cover/drain spout.I believe it would be possible to put the new style on the older style.

........So all you Did was drain oil from another drain hole.
Plasmatoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
kkim

That's so your oil will drain twice as fast, silly.

Seriously, I believe the lower engine case were taken directly from the prgens. That is the drain plug location for their bikes. On the new gens, the drain is mounted horizontally on that separate piece.

On the pregens, people would strip the oil drain plug hole and end up with a real problem having to renew threads in the engine case. With the new gens, if the drain hole is stripped, you can replace the part that the drain plug is a part of instead of having to fix you main cases.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM   #4
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
That's so your oil will drain twice as fast, silly.

Seriously, I believe the lower engine case were taken directly from the prgens. That is the drain plug location for their bikes. On the new gens, the drain is mounted horizontally on that separate piece.

On the pregens, people would strip the oil drain plug hole and end up with a real problem having to renew threads in the engine case. With the new gens, if the drain hole is stripped, you can replace the part that the drain plug is a part of instead of having to fix you main cases.
I did the very same thing when i did my 2k oil change to put in my Rotella T 5w40 weeks ago! Now as my years of working on the Mowers at work (golf course maintance - we service the equipment during winter hours,rebuilding,replacing stuff,etc) All Mowers have 2 Oil Drain Plugs, just in case 1 plug gets stripped (bolt rounded off) then you got a back up drain
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
kkim

I believe the reason mowers have 2 drain plugs (on opposite sides of the motor) is that the engines are used in many different configurations and in some, a drain plug in a single location would make it inaccessible.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #6
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

some of our mowers req you to remove BOTH, to fully get all oil out during a oil change!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote