ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristoffer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

Jets to start with?

I bought a slip on and encountered trouble in the form of the carbon fiber burning. After asking for help and a little research I think I'm running lean.

At this point I have shimmed needles with 2 washers, snorkel removed, a UNI drop in filter, and a Danmoto slip on. I want to buy pod filters soon to replace the UNI and get rid of the airbox.

The bike runs worse in cold weather and lags during acceleration. It also will take a while to speed up even if i roll on the throttle hard. Does this sound lean?

I live in the Bay Area and I'm looking into just buying some Factory Pro jets to replace the shimmed needles. Considering the above, does anybody know a good size jet to start with or better yet, someone else who lives in my area that has done jetting and what size jets they currently have? Would I have to adjust the screws as well?

I'm looking for a starting point, im still new to carbs. Any help is appreciated.
Kristofferzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #2
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

wideband o2 sensor install with logging if you don't want to keep paying for dyno runs

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/db.php
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofferzero View Post
I bought a slip on and encountered trouble in the form of the carbon fiber burning. After asking for help and a little research I think I'm running lean.

At this point I have shimmed needles with 2 washers, snorkel removed, a UNI drop in filter, and a Danmoto slip on. I want to buy pod filters soon to replace the UNI and get rid of the airbox.

The bike runs worse in cold weather and lags during acceleration. It also will take a while to speed up even if i roll on the throttle hard. Does this sound lean?

I live in the Bay Area and I'm looking into just buying some Factory Pro jets to replace the shimmed needles. Considering the above, does anybody know a good size jet to start with or better yet, someone else who lives in my area that has done jetting and what size jets they currently have? Would I have to adjust the screws as well?

I'm looking for a starting point, im still new to carbs. Any help is appreciated.
With just a slip on, removed snorkel, and drop in filter, I think you'd be fine to just shim the needle and adjust the idle screw. If you plan on upgrading to pod filters, I'd strongly recommend you wait until you get them installed before you start tuning the carb.

I found this thread very helpful for tuning tips and starting points:http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...light=database

This was also a good resource: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...light=database
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
With just a slip on, removed snorkel, and drop in filter, I think you'd be fine to just shim the needle and adjust the idle screw. If you plan on upgrading to pod filters, I'd strongly recommend you wait until you get them installed before you start tuning the carb.

I found this thread very helpful for tuning tips and starting points:http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...light=database

This was also a good resource: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...light=database
I see. I'll have to give it some thought then. Maybe I'll just end up skipping the pods and adding another washer to the needles. Thanks for the links, very helpful!

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
wideband o2 sensor install with logging if you don't want to keep paying for dyno runs

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/db.php
Wow I've never seen that. Pretty crazy but way too expensive for me right now! Thanks though.

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofferzero View Post
I see. I'll have to give it some thought then. Maybe I'll just end up skipping the pods and adding another washer to the needles. Thanks for the links, very helpful!
I don't mean to deter you from pods! I strongly recommend them and the airbox really isn't as difficult to get out as many make it seem (as long as you don't mind ruining it to get it out). The bike sounds 10x better with pods, performance is noticeably better, and carb work is made much easier.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I don't mean to deter you from pods! I strongly recommend them and the airbox really isn't as difficult to get out as many make it seem (as long as you don't mind ruining it to get it out). The bike sounds 10x better with pods, performance is noticeably better, and carb work is made much easier.
Oh don't worry, you didn't. It's just my situation right now doesn't really allow me to spend so much time fine tuning the carbs like it was outlined within the first 3 posts of that link. I'll get pods and jets eventually! Since I already have the needles shimmed I suppose I'll just try adding another washer for now.