Pilot16=

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #42
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Firestarter that is classic!!

Pro'bly enough material for a psych. term paper now with this posting on multiple forums.

smart people= squid bad ,fire good!!!

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #43
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

ha. Yeah or we'll be seeing an article in the next sport rider Mag. lol

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #44
Pilot16
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r. 02 cbr f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfling View Post
Pilot, if you're going to keep posting this on every forum, I think you need to clarify your distinction of squid vs stunters vs aggressive riders. You're getting bad press by using a loaded term. I get what you're saying but you're just bringing the hate on yourself.

Thanks, but honestly, it means, stunter, or aggressive rider, or no gear. It means many things to many people. Sure it has an original meaning, but over time it changes in peoples mindset. Anyways people hating doesn't bother me, everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as it doesn't get too personal.
Pilot16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #45
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot16 View Post
Thanks, but honestly, it means, stunter, or aggressive rider, or no gear. It means many things to many people. Sure it has an original meaning, but over time it changes in peoples mindset. Anyways people hating doesn't bother me, everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as it doesn't get too personal.
Believe in the 80's it was a slow rider.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #46
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I see "squids" coming through the E.R. every weekend and Thurs bike nights.. they seem to get what they ride for... "death, neurological injuries, amputation, breaks, rashes and months of rehab plus the bills".. yeah that's what squiding is all about.... rock and roll squids! I won't even go into the collateral damage that ensues around them.... what a waste
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #47
djindia23
Ride or Die Ninja

Name: Kichu

Motorcycle(s): Blue Ninja 250R (the fastest color)

well im not gonna lie... i ride somewhat aggressively on my 250... and by aggressive i mean weaving in and out of traffic.... here in jersey some of these drivers are doing 50 when the speed limit is 55.... and thats fine and dandy when you're not in leftmost lane... soo i will go around them or weave all the way to the right to pass people... soo if that constitutes me being a squid then so be it...

i doo agree however that these fools we see poppin wheelies on major highways have to consider what they are doing a bit more soo to me those are the real squids... i dont think weaving in and out of traffic is as bad... but i guess im a lil biased...
djindia23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #48
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by djindia23 View Post
i dont think weaving in and out of traffic is as bad... but i guess im a lil biased...
Free country... ride as you like... still laws against certain activity dangerous to the public welfare and yours... one thing to remember, don't start crying when they wheel you into E.R. and jack around when they try to shove that intubation tube down your throat or insert that chest tube through your chest wall, between the ribs.... weaving will still get you into this mess of the cage that doesnt see you travelling @ 55+... oh work alot of hours and save up, the bills alone for your recovery not to mention criminal/civil suits that will very well bankrupt you for the remainder of your life.... just because you felt the urge to "weave" through impatience... rock on squidsters! Oh yeah.. not to mention "job security for me!!!! yessssss!"

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #49
kkim

lol
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #50
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djindia23 View Post
i dont think weaving in and out of traffic is as bad... but i guess im a lil biased...
The problem with weaving in and out of traffic isn't that it is always unsafe. The problem is that at some point, it's an ironclad guarantee that it will become unsafe when you don't expect it. You're making an assumption that the position of all the cars around you as you zip in and out is static, and they won't move or change positions quicker than you can react. As in a video game, where you're the guy playing and everybody else is a predictable slow-moving obstacle. The problem is that isn't true, and if you are zipping next to a car that doesn't realize you are there, and they make an unexpected lane change without signaling, you're fish food. Happens all the time here in California, where lane splitting is even legal and most cars are aware of the fact that motorcycles may be coming up alongside them from time to time.

The hope is that you'll have a terrible scare doing this at some point when a car you're passing unsafely does something you don't expect and almost takes you out, and you'll realize that riding in this manner is childish and unsafe. That's the hope, because the alternative is that you won't even have time to be scared when you just get taken out without notice. Good luck.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #51
addy126

to you Alex

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #52
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Car traffic + motorcycle = trouble. If you spend a lot of time riding in car traffic, you will eventually get hit by a car- I hate to say it, but it's almost inevitable. It happened to me many years ago- teenage female driver changing lanes without looking, no signal, the whole deal. If you want to avoid the (almost) inevitable, find places to ride with little (car) traffic.

If you do choose to ride in automobile traffic, you will need all of your defensive driving strategies and constant vigilance- and weaving in and out of car traffic is definitely not a defensive technique. I personally think that motorcycle commuting is something you should not consider until you have a few years of riding experience.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #53
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
Brother, Pull up your pants....

Plumbers maybe???? Just cant resist- sori

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #54
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Is there really a great lack of respect & consideration to others now-a-days or just ignorance?

An MSF Course should be administered to them as part of their penalty if caught with a week long of isolation, musicals & classical music... Dont get me wrong, I too love classical & musicals & esp CALAMARI. Not generalizing them but for the most part, Squids dont go for them.

Old June 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #55
krazygluon
Parking Lot Qualified

Name: Fielding

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Ever notice that when they serve squid it is either "fried" and in "red sauce". I guess that's how most end up.
Ever been to a sushi bar? You're forgetting "sliced up and raw" my favorite.

Somebody well known in the 1700's whose name escapes me is quoted with saying something to the tune of "everyone chooses the means to their own end."

Squids just choose to take risks that bring them to that end a little sooner.

My beef with them lies more in the statistically small but significant number of other people's deaths they are sometimes responsible for.

/trollfood off
krazygluon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #56
ironglory
ninjette.org member

That's another way too. hummm sushi, and have a yellow tail & uni..... I tried not to think of sushi but u have to mention it.... Now i have to go to NJ for this authentic all u can sushi for $20. Some where in Princeton. Maybe tomorrow....

I've been to some all u can eat but other asians are making it. Not that I dont like it, its not just authentic. Same as how other food tastes like chicken - well just give me chicken then.

Old June 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #57
krazygluon
Parking Lot Qualified

Name: Fielding

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot16 View Post
Stupidly
Quick
Underdressed (and)
Immenently
Dead

Sounds like a pretty objective and fitting definition to me.
krazygluon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #58
n4t
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Well I guess I'm a squid. I'm sorry but when it gets 100F down here I won't be caught dead(literally) in my hot ass leather icon jacket. Thought don't get me wrong I wear it when I know I won't have a heat stroke at the redlight. I ride in tshirt, helmet, gloves, jeans, and boots. That's just me, I don't go around encouraging others to do it but I also believe that there is a time for everything and if it's my time to go then I shall go, getting a motorcycle ain't gonna slow that down in God's eyes. I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but I respect this guy on what he's saying. Yea, they might be idiots out there doing all of that but hey, I have to say it IS interesting to watch though that isn't what encouraged me to start riding and yes I am saying "What an idiot" in my head.

Also, I'm sorry but I'll have to say this is pretty fun to watch.
http://www.ghostridermovie.net/start.html
^^^ this guy has never wrecked (that I know of) and has never been caught by the cops... lucky guy I'd have to say. And did you ever think they might be doing it for the rush/adrenalin? Because I know this guy has a LOT of it lol.

and I would LOVE to have that full carbon fiber GSXR 1000

Old June 13th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #59
zartan

This isn't about not wearing gear. It is about being stupid when riding.
You have a choice to wear gear. The risk is to yourself and totally your decision. that does not make you a squid.

Squids are people who do stupid things to endanger others.
Ghostrider is a tool.

Why are we even going on with this???

I will even toss a bunny cake in.

Old June 13th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #60
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4t View Post
Well I guess I'm a squid. I'm sorry but when it gets 100F down here I won't be caught dead(literally) in my hot ass leather icon jacket. Thought don't get me wrong I wear it when I know I won't have a heat stroke at the redlight. I ride in tshirt, helmet, gloves, jeans, and boots. That's just me, I don't go around encouraging others to do it but I also believe that there is a time for everything and if it's my time to go then I shall go, getting a motorcycle ain't gonna slow that down in God's eyes. I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but I respect this guy on what he's saying. Yea, they might be idiots out there doing all of that but hey, I have to say it IS interesting to watch though that isn't what encouraged me to start riding and yes I am saying "What an idiot" in my head.
Too hot for gear, too hot to ride. And honestly, if you have a good vented/perforated leather jacket, it's *cooler* than a textile to me. Not much you can do about being stopped at stoplights but when moving and overall, full leather > full textile. And I know summer heat, I live in FL
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #61
n4t
ninjette.org member

oh well if I'm correct some people were referring to not wearing gear as a "squid". And the whole too hot for gear too hot to ride, sorry I Would have to disagree, my bike is my only transportation I may be endangering myself but that's a risk I take. Like I said, if it's my time to go or better yet if I go down, then it was just meant to happen and if the outcome is good or bad I will have to deal with it then. Yea maybe I Could prevent how BAD the outcome is if it's not death but hey... again, a risk I take. I don't do things to put others at risk and in my opinion as long as I'm not putting you at risk I don't think y'all should have to worry about it Also, my bro just showed me that ghost rider thing so it's new to me

Old June 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #62
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Yeah, not wearing gear is the most common definition of being a squid (to me at least).

And by not wearing gear you *do* affect others than yourself. You affect your loved ones; you affect the health and insurance systems, the law enforcement agencies, the ER crews who respond to accidents. You affect the public perception of motorcycling as an instant death sentence. You affect how other riders perceive you as well; wearing gear gets you respect from the people who matter.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #63
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Gear is a must in ANY situation. Hot or cold. It's hot here all the time, it's hot in Florida all the time, it's definitely hot in Hawaii all the time, but Becca, kKim, and I all wear gear when we ride period. It's being responsible over being comfortable. I prefer to give my family, my friends, and myself some peace of mind by letting them know that I'm doing everything in my power to stay alive. NOT doing wheelies on the highway is an example of this where ATGATT is another.

Back to the original purpose of your post, no squids were not the reason I got a bike. They were one of the reasons I had for NOT getting a bike, because I didn't want to be like them. I didn't want to go 100+ in rush hour traffic between cars doing a wheelie. I didn't want to be dead either. I have a friend who is an ER doctor, and he and his colleagues call motorcycles "donor-cycles" because they cause so many fatalities. To be honest though, it's not the motorcycles that cause the wrecks and the deaths, it's the idiot riders that decide a small amount of instant gratification in traffic is more important than their life or the lives around them. I'm constantly seeing so many riders, from sport bikes to cruisers to scooters, wearing t-shirts, flip flops and sunglasses instead of gear. What are they doing? Riding like idiots and almost dying on a regular basis. Insurance costs don't bother me, but the general opinion that motorcycles are deadly does. It's not my fault that my girlfriends dad won't let her ride around the block on the back of my bike. It's the squids fault because they were stupid and they died. They're also the reason that everyone thinks my parents are idiots for letting me get a bike. I was originally interested in bikes because of the motogp racers. They always wear full gear and they're always doing everything they can NOT to crash. They are the heroes of motorcycle riding and they make it look WAY better than any squid ever did.

The reason for our posts isn't to flame you, embarrass you, or call you an idiot (although it may seem that way). The idea is to try to keep you from killing yourself or others. It's also to try to keep new riders (as you have said love our humble 250r) from thinking that this is ok. It's definitely not, not because we don't want you to look cool or have recognition, but because it kills people. In a controlled environment, I could care less if you stunt naked. That's your choice and it doesn't endanger the lives of anyone else. The only people that would still be worried would be your family, but again, that's your choice. I prefer being hot and staying alive and not having roadrash and a smashed up bike.

I'm one of those people kKim was talking about earlier that will flame you a bit more. I'm a little less tactful as well and I have very strong feelings on this subject, but I'll get off my now. Thanks for reading.

Old June 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #64
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Hmmm, id like too add alil sumin'. Ok today this morning, after gearing up, to go too Sportbiketrackgear Store (here in Mi.) Im doing 20-25 MPH, down a street near my house, i see a Pontiac G6 (silver) coming towards me, but like 1 mile from me... as i was just having alil fun/pratice and whatnot, by leaning and swerving left to right afew times! I stopped doing that WELL within reason b4 the G6 was in any means in danger of us closing in. Then as im chilling at 25MPH, going striaght, minding my buznezzz, this TOOL in the G6 starts jerking his wheel, making his Car go left and Right... 300 ft' in front of me, AND STILL DOING SO as we pass!!! WTF?

Also he was going OVER the speed limit, id guess doing 40 MPH ish!

So my guess is that he thought i was a 'Squid' er, and feels im that TOOL that pops wheelies in traffic and such! Well im not, and it pissed me Off that he did what he did!!!

Another thing, i hate the Fact that... ppl in Cars and such, View us as ALWAYS TAKING OFF FAST AS HELL, etc! I dunno about you guys, but 95% of the time i take off from a red light, i short-shift 4-5k RPMs, and cruise... then suddenly, as im in 4th gear 35 MPH.... the Car behind me, gets PISSED im not FLYING, and then wisks Around me, stares at me and whatnot, then sometimes Cuts me Off! WTF? I dont get it... but its CLEAR that ppl in Cars/Trucks, DONT have any RESPECT for us motorcyclist out there! period!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #65
addy126

Been there, seen that and ignore it with a shake of the helmet as they go by lol... that bugz them when they spot it passing by and in their rearviews I'm sure. Its just a "caged squid" not worth a moment of my time lol

Old June 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #66
n4t
ninjette.org member

Well I respect all of you for doing the right thing. My family doesn't really worry about the whole gear thing because I think they understand and they know I don't ride stupid though I think we all know accidents happen but that's the risk I take. I'm not one of those stupid riders doin wheelies and swerving in and out of traffic and all that crap. You can consider me a squid all you want for the whole gear thing I will just accept that I respect every rider for who they are, not what they wear. I somewhat agree on the whole driving crazy thing there is a time and place for that and like it's been said over and over again on this thread, public streets isn't the place. Though I still enjoy watching the ghost rider vids

Old June 13th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #67
zartan

N4T I agree with you, You can wear what you want. I wear what I want.
And you agree to be considerate on the roads .

I think you are not a squid.

I disagree with some of these posts,and I am a long time rider who wears
full gear.
It is nobodys place to tell you what to wear. Unless you are underage then listen to your folks. ( or your wife )it really is not some forum strangers place to tell you how to dress.

As much as I am for ATGATT I do not think I should be a gear nazi and tell anyone what to wear.
But if I see someone acting like a jerk on the road.. well look out that is another story. I have seen people in full gear riding like jerks.
I would perfer to see everyone ATGATT but as of yet I am not QUEEN ...If I were there would be no sticky price tags on anything leaving their sticky goo on whatever you buy... nevermind..

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #68
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Who is a bigger squid, the guy with full gear and crashes from, whatever, or the guy with no gear and has never crashed because he is a safer rider? Safer meaning careful, experienced, intelligent, and defensive rider.

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #69
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

99% of the time, I wear my gear, but there are the occasions that I don't. Sometimes if I'm going down for a cruise on the beach, I'll just wear my jacket because I want to be able to take in the air and enjoy it, and with a helmet on, you just don't get that experience, even with the visor up. Other times 'll pick up my gf and she gets the gear (though usually we head back to my place to get the rest of the stuff then).

So most of the time, I'm geared up, but there are occasions that it's nice to take the air in and relax a bit. The funniest part about it is that everyone I ride with rides Harleys and doesn't wear a single piece of gear ever, but I guarantee you 99% of bystanders see me as the dangerous irresponsible rider

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #70
kkim

Dress for the crash, not the ride.

Old June 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #71
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kelly, I believe that's dress for success (a succesful ride is not crashing).

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #72
backinthesaddleagain

Last 2 deaths here were Harley riders. Neither wearing a helmet, both were single vehicles accidents with bike leaving road. The one before that was a sportbike rider running from the police through the city. Though police say there was no chase. Not sure if he had a helmet or not.

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #73
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Greg, thanks for the update. At least there are other rider besides the 250s that are crashing. If that is a good thing!

Oh, this was about helmets.

My buddy, Eddy, just bought his son, Emerson, a 250 from Gordon. If you need someone to go riding with they live in Slocum.

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #74
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Greg, thanks for the update. At least there are other rider besides the 250s that are crashing. If that is a good thing!

Oh, this was about helmets.

My buddy, Eddy, just bought his son, Emerson, a 250 from Gordon. If you need someone to go riding with they live in Slocum.
CC - was that a Green S/E? I see it is now off the razee site.

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #75
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Yes, that's the one. Eddy rides a Ducati (from Gordon) and his son Emerson is getting the green 250 for his High School Graduation present. The son is a good kid. The dad is "off the wall" but a good guy. If you ride with both of them you'll be fine. Don't just ride with the dad, he rides a little faster than you might want to.

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #76
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Yes, that's the one. Eddy rides a Ducati (from Gordon) and his son Emerson is getting the green 250 for his High School Graduation present. The son is a good kid. The dad is "off the wall" but a good guy. If you ride with both of them you'll be fine. Don't just ride with the dad, he rides a little faster than you might want to.
Thanks - I will kep an eye out. Nice graduation gift for sure.

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #77
kkim

Quote:
just curious... what's Eddy's last name?

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #78
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Bookbinder. Know him? I told his son to join the forum. I specifically told him if he needed any help to ask you.

Old June 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #79
kkim

whew.. I thought you were going to say Lawson!

you know me... more than happy to help those that truly deserve to be helped.

hope his son takes your advice and joins us here at ninjette.

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #80
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Lawson is a CALI boy. I'm talking Rhode Island.