ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Front Suspension: Preload Vs Stiffer Springs or Fork Oil

I'm a heavy rider at around 215 lbs and riding 2-up has spurred me to look into improving the stock suspension on my 2009 Ninja 250. I have seen a few posts about the rear suspension and think I'll probably upgrade to a better shock eventually (right now being able to adjust the preload seems to be sufficient), but the little I've seen regarding the front has left me wondering what to do.

I thought the best thing to do for my case would be to increase the stock preload. However, after coming across this article from Ninja 250 Riders I have begun to question this. This article states:

"One of the 'cheap-out' Band Aids that has been done by some people in the past is putting long spacers in their forks in lieu of stiffer springs. This is positively not recommended, and here's why: By adding more preload (the spacer), you make the bike stiffer/harsher for everyday commuting/riding, and it'll still be all mushy and wallowy when you push hard. That's kinda the opposite of what most riders really want. So, you're really much better off putting in new, correct-rate springs than using the Band-Aid formula. "

The way I understand it, increasing the spacer length would increase the static force of the shocks without changing the spring rate. This would positively effect rider sag correct? Is this article assuming that people are wanting to increase the spring rate and that's why they say this method will leave it all mushy and wallowy?

What would you guys recommend be done to improve the front suspension for us heavier riders or those of us who ride 2-up a great deal of the time assuming spirited riding (between casual and track)?

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

check out my two blogs. they have links to follow. Im a heavier rider as well. one deals with the front end issue, the other deals with the rear shock
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Buy that book by the Sport Rider guy who got run over. Well worth the money, it explains everything you need to know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote