ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 17th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Name: JR

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Another valve check thread

Right now I'm checking the valves and I notice that when I'm sticking the feeler gauge between the camshaft and the lifter, the lifter goes down, and it doesn't matter what gauge I use it moves. What's the trick or how it should be done?
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:24 PM   #2
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I'm gonna wait for someone with more experience to chime in (only did it once myself), but I am wondering about the valve springs.... this shouldn't be happening.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have to agree with Doc. In my opinion, there is so much that can be screwed up with a bad adjustment on an engine that can rev 14K. My bike is under an extended warranty so I don't attempt something that I may be unsure of. True, the Ninjette is a "Budget Rocket" unlike a Ducati or Honda literbike. Then again a screwup gets expensive any way you cut it. In the past, 30 years ago, I did all the maintenance on my Brit cafe racers, but those were simple bikes that were not particularly fast, and had lots of tolerances. Ever hear a 70's Triumph? or Norton? The valve clatter on those bikes was incredible and totally acceptable. They also did not rev 14K. My advice would be to have a pro check it out or at least walk you through the valve adjustment.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #4
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I have to agree with Doc. In my opinion, there is so much that can be screwed up with a bad adjustment on an engine that can rev 14K. My bike is under an extended warranty so I don't attempt something that I may be unsure of. True, the Ninjette is a "Budget Rocket" unlike a Ducati or Honda literbike. Then again a screwup gets expensive any way you cut it. In the past, 30 years ago, I did all the maintenance on my Brit cafe racers, but those were simple bikes that were not particularly fast, and had lots of tolerances. Ever hear a 70's Triumph? or Norton? The valve clatter on those bikes was incredible and totally acceptable. They also did not rev 14K. My advice would be to have a pro check it out or at least walk you through the valve adjustment.
Saily,

hey how many miles are on your 250? have you had the valve check done to yours yet?

- i just hit the 10,000+ mile mark and STILL havent had them done yet. Ive called 3 dealerships around here and when i ask them how much to service the valves,etc... they just ask me if my bike is doing this, sounding like this,etc.... and if its not.... hold off until 15,000 miles or till your bike starts to run like ****, burns oil, etc.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote