ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Had a tank slapper today

As they say, never say never. Whenever I watched tankslapper videos I secretly hoped this destiny would bypass me, and took some comfort that these scary things are rare. Well, today was my day. I stumbled upon a particularly poor section of the highway, full of cracks and small potholes, and before I knew it, handlebars were going all over, left and right. It was very sudden and very unexpected. The slapper has been going on for over a full second before I even realized what was happening. It was very surprising and unsettling feeling, but while my hands and bars have been whipped all over, the bike appeared to track straight and somehow felt in control. So I did nothing, stayed loose on the bars and the slapper was over in a few seconds, as I exited the nasty patch of the road.

As I pulled over to check for any damage (there was none), my buddy who was riding behind told me that my rear end was wobbling all over, but I didn't even feel it - I felt only crazy hopping of the handlebars, as the bike fought to stay upright.

The whole experience gave me more confidence in bike's inherent abilities to straighthen itself and keep shiny side up. While I have the electronic steering damper (this happened on my CBR) I am not sure how much it helped and how worse would I have fared without it.

The moral of the story is: don't get scared,trust your bike, and stay loose. Let the bike work it out by itself. In a way, I am grateful to this experience. I wish I had a helmet cam - it looked just as bad as in videos on YouTube - but it felt more unsettling than scary or anything.
Ride safe!

Last futzed with by Toly; February 5th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #2
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

LIKE A BOSS LOL dude im glad that ur ok that kind off stuff can turn ugly FAST!!

Old February 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Damn man, glad you got out of that scary situation.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Link to original page on YouTube.

skip to 11:00 in, bad times. Jammed my thumb between my gas tank and the clipons, and bruised the **** outta it, and also loosened my front brake pads so when I got to the end of the straight the lever went to my fingers!

Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
... Jammed my thumb between my gas tank and the clipons, and bruised the **** outta it, and also loosened my front brake pads so when I got to the end of the straight the lever went to my fingers!
Yeah, mine was worse in a sense that it took longer, but had no ill effects. After reading up online, it appears I had a head shake rather than a full stop-to-stop tankslapper. Still, it was pretty bad, pretty close in appearance to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHtChodNk0

Now, it seems that there is no clear opinion on how to deal with it: some advocate staying loose on the controls and riding it out, while others emphasize the need to do something to fight the oscillations and dampen the shake before it grows into a full tankslapper. That "something" is either manual tightening on the bars, or changing the speed by hitting either the throttle or the brakes.

It is good advice - in theory. In practice, it's pretty impossible to have any reasonable control of the front end - in my situation all I could do was to hang on to it, as the bars were whipped around violently. Any input to the front end controls in such situation could have been disastrous. I considered applying rear brake gingerly, but it was over before I had the wits to try it.

It appears, that aside from luck, steering damper (hydraulic or electric) is a lifesaver. I considered it a neat "extra" that came with the bike, now I won't ride any bike without it.

Old February 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Now, it seems that there is no clear opinion on how to deal with it: some advocate staying loose on the controls and riding it out, while others emphasize the need to do something to fight the oscillations and dampen the shake before it grows into a full tankslapper. That "something" is either manual tightening on the bars, or changing the speed by hitting either the throttle or the brakes.

It is good advice - in theory. In practice, it's pretty impossible to have any reasonable control of the front end
Just keep pressing the clutch while avoiding manual tightening on the bars has worked very well for me in several similar events.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Just keep pressing the clutch while avoiding manual tightening on the bars has worked very well for me in several similar events.
That's a great idea! Thanks!!

Old February 8th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #8
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Never had one, sounds scary!

Old February 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #9
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

Have you considered purchasing a steering damper? I guess everyone thinks they are invincible until things like this happen to them. I think dampers are worth the money because of their safety benefits
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd12 View Post
Have you considered purchasing a steering damper? I guess everyone thinks they are invincible until things like this happen to them. I think dampers are worth the money because of their safety benefits
Yeah, I have the damper (it's electronic, comes built in with the CBR 600), and I totally share your sentiment. The vibrations were getting worse before they smoothed out, so while it's possible that I simply rode it out, it's also quite likely that the damper saved the day, and spared me from posting in the "I crashed" section or worse.

Old February 8th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #11
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Yeah, I have the damper (it's electronic, comes built in with the CBR 600), and I totally share your sentiment. The vibrations were getting worse before they smoothed out, so while it's possible that I simply rode it out, it's also quite likely that the damper saved the day, and spared me from posting in the "I crashed" section or worse.
Oooh I didn't know that about the CBR that's pretty sweet. I know the 09 zx6's come with the Ohlins but I've heard they're not that good. I read a really interesting paper about tank slappers, it gets worse before it gets better because of the way you hit the bumps. You got unlucky enough to hit them at the steering system's natural frequency, which is what made them get worse and worse before they could get better. There is a lot of interesting stuff out there about this topic!
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #12
shiftyninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 09' EX250J, 01' EX250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
This is what I have done a couple of times. This situation has happen numerous times and even coming down a mountain side road, which ended with my sliding sideways and managing to straighten it going 60mph. That was the most scary thing to happen to me. Luckily no cars, I would have been a hood ornament. Try and take weight of the bars, while clutching the tank with your legs for dear life. It's hard, but core exercises will help tremendously with fatigue.
shiftyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post

Link to original page on YouTube.

skip to 11:00 in, bad times. Jammed my thumb between my gas tank and the clipons, and bruised the **** outta it, and also loosened my front brake pads so when I got to the end of the straight the lever went to my fingers!

note to self: don't jump the curb into the front straight

Old February 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #14
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
note to self: don't jump the curb into the front straight
good plan
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote