ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 18th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

Building a custom 18" slip on muffler.

Sup. I have been riding with the DanMoto carbon exhaust for some time now. Had a low side when it was new and the carbon tube got scratched up. It has the extra baffle installed and is still very very loud. The k&n 0990 filter and dynojet jet kit means it runs very well however. I am doing 2500 miles up the 1 to oregon early next month with another 250 buddy so I will be completing this project soon.

Idea for project: take the existing end caps and turn 12" muffler into 18" with a new cilinder and get a matching length core. Fill with packing material and pop new rivets into the new cilinder and it should be set. There is no clearance issues with having a longer can, the current hanger will hold it well. The larger can should help quiet it down a bit and might work well without the baffle. The scratched part also will be fixed and will not leak, also a plus. The 18 inch is just copying area p's quiet core length. It just sounds like a good number, don't know if going longer could help.

Here is the exhaust I own:
http://www.dan-moto.com/DM_INT/zx-25...oduct-368.html

I found a place for a replacement core:
http://www.baroncustom.com/catalog/d...164/index.html

What I still need is a 90mm tube, 18 inches in length. I would prefer aluminum or stainless steel over another carbon tube this time around. I have polished metal rims so bare metal would match well.

Lastly, upgrading to Tyga headers for $150 down the line will turn this into a full system. I may need to change jetting with the different flow characteristics, but only lengthening shouldn't affect it much.

Thats it for the project. And yes, I will be posting photos of this whole thing. Popping old rivets in the morning! Suggestions or ideas always appreciated!
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Popped open the can. Still need to get the rivets out, they are tough. One side at the bottom is scuffed, I can try to straighten it as much as possible and mount it so it faces the bike. Now I have measurements (its a 2" core).

Edit: as to not double post - made some purchases this evening.

https://www.denniskirk.com/la-choppe...rd/4405068.sku

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360678552104

Will get a rivet gun, rivets, and dremel cutoff wheel locally. Stuff shows up tuesday. Also, I have the option to go up to 24". I am cutting down to size, I could do anything...

Last futzed with by infinitethrill; June 19th, 2013 at 01:42 AM.

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Seems like your headed in the right direction but what do you expect to get from a longer can?

On a side note Danmoto prices just dropped! taht XG-1 ive had my eye on is $80 free shipping when it was $140 last week I believe shame I pulled the plug on a damaged oem can on ebay to do a custom job on it.
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Just a cosmetic improvement. If you look in the full size photo the top and bottom of the carbon tube is chipped away and is completely scuffed along its face. There is discoloration and the can is only held on by 3 of the rivets, which does leak some exhaust when running. The back of the can is scuffed too from rubbing against the swingarm.

In the same way area p offers a quiet core version of their can I wanted to try the same thing. The 18" has a 1.75 core, the 12" has a 2' core. Their 18" makes more power too. In my case I need to use a 2" core but it can be as long as I want. I expect nothing performance wise to change as this is only a slip on. May need to lean the jetting slightly if it is even affected at all.

and when the can was new: http://cl.ly/0R3I0x3P2N2o3u341q0u/o

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #5
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Got some stuff done today!

Got some 420 cutoff wheels and a mandrel from the hardware store... lol420

The existing core slips into the base.

The new 2" perforated stainless steel tube I ordered is just a bit too big. Imperial / Metric conversions suck.

These fit well when sleeved however. I can work with this. Nice.

I used a ring of masking tape as a guide to make the cut straight. Easy enough to do by hand.

Boom a 24" core that is ready to go. The upper cap will need no modifications to fit.

The next problem, and last thing holding me back. Gotta make that aluminium tube fit the caps...

Does anyone know how to stretch the ends of a .065, 3.5" extruded aluminum tube 2-3mm? I see it done for pipe couplings, not sure about this case however. Can a muffler shop do this? I may need to fabricate a sleeve of some sort and bolt it all together if not though. Definitely open to any ideas!

Old June 30th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #6
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

dont know about stretching that would be ideal but i guess you could fabricate a clamp? or like a 1" long tube that fits right over it and rivet the endcap and tube to it?
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote