ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:32 AM   #1
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Old gas

I was curious if bad gas could cause my idle to jump around a little? I don't fill up often in florida due to the rain. I might fill up every 5-6 weeks or so since i have a short commute. I also sometimes go on month long vacations and the gas just sits in the tank. I still have quite a few miles before i need to fill up and i was wondering if older gas could cause issues like this or anything similar.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:56 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Yes. Bad gas can cause a myriad of problems, mainly clogging up of the carbs to the point where they don't idle or run correctly. If left for long periods of time, gas that is not treated/stabilized will breakdown and become weak. Bikes that are left out in the rain can have problems with water getting into the fuel. That also can produce performance problems as well.

Some good info on gas precautions and tips. http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_...ecautions.html
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:00 AM   #3
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Thanks so much DaBlue1. Yeap, the bike has been seeing some rain (central FL problems) The idle is sitting around 200-300 below average. Should i just clean out the carbs now or try some new gas with some stabilizer in there? Never had a idle issue in all 10,000 miles i have owned the bike until recent.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by areifel View Post
....Should i just clean out the carbs now or try some new gas with some stabilizer in there?
Completely drain the tank, flush it with some clean gas, add some Star Tron Fuel Treatment to some fresh gas make sure it gets into the carbs and see how it goes from there.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote