ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Name: Roderick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Left rearset install issues

I got my replacement stock left rearset physically installed but it won't shift. It starts only because it was in neutral on the old set before I started working on it. I will upload pics of its current state.

Now the shifter was installed and it was already down there. I start it up and while I can put my weight on the foot peg. It won't upshift or downshift and I don't want to force it out of fear of breaking it. Any ideas? Cheers.
Rugby Winger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

The point where it attaches to the circular rod sticking out of the bike, you need to rotate that so it pushes at a 90* Angle.

O
L_____
instead of

o
\________

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Can you expound on that? I mean which pivot point on the rod are you referring to? The right one which connects to the rearset or the left one?

Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
ramykandil
ninjette.org member

Name: ramy

Motorcycle(s): 09 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby Winger View Post
Can you expound on that? I mean which pivot point on the rod are you referring to? The right one which connects to the rearset or the left one?
I just went down last night so I was working on my shifter too.

The part where the shifter connects to the metal rod on the bike, you have it angled too far so when you push the shifter down, there isn't enough force to twist the metal rod that it connects to. Take off the black end of the shifter, and put it almost upright. Mine is at a slight angle, but almost upright and it is shifting through. At one point it felt like it was stuck and I jammed it through and it finally popped out, so try to put some force on it (AFTER adjusting your shifter) but becareful. I think it would take a LOT to break it tbh.
ramykandil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:49 PM   #5
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

There should be a dot on the shaft that comes out of the gearbox, as well as a dot on the U shaped part that goes around that shaft. Line those two dots up and you should be fine.

Right now it's attached like a 'D'. It should be attached like a 'U'.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Ok I think I'm starting to get it. Right now I'm twisting the rod itself after loosening the nuts and I'm twisting it to one side to another. I'm trying to get the big shifter bolt that you see and then the smaller bolt underneath it (which is the rod connecting to the shifter directly under one another). Is that right or wrong?

It keeps falling back though. So I'm trying to hold it up and then twist the two big rear set nuts to force it to stay in place.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby Winger View Post
Ok I think I'm starting to get it. Right now I'm twisting the rod itself after loosening the nuts and I'm twisting it to one side to another. I'm trying to get the big shifter bolt that you see and then the smaller bolt underneath it (which is the rod connecting to the shifter directly under one another). Is that right or wrong?

It keeps falling back though. So I'm trying to hold it up and then twist the two big rear set nuts to force it to stay in place.
The nuts are for fine tuning. You should start with the rod in the middle of the adjustable range, then place the U shaped clamp onto the shaft, and then adjust the rod.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...the_shifter%3F
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

remove the bolt pointed to by the blue arrow. remove the part circled in red, rotate 45 degrees clockwise, place back on shaft, replace bolt pointed to by blue arrow.

after that, use the nuts on the double threaded rod to make fine adjustments so your foot is comfortable shifting up and down

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:17 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Do what Alex.s just posted and you should be good to go! Sorry I couldn't help you over the phone last night. Brain's fried.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Do what Alex.s just posted and you should be good to go! Sorry I couldn't help you over the phone last night. Brain's fried.
No no you're alright. I got it going. I push the pivot which hooked onto the shifter inward and then while holding it there. Twisting the rod further towards the right pivot. It gave it the U shape I was then looking for and it worked. I drove and I have all of my gears. Thankfully, it worked because I had some tools and beer in case I had to take off my fairing to unscrew that.