ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:27 PM   #1
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Clip-ons above the top triple tree

Lower the front enough to have the clip-ons at the very top of the forks. More flexibility with handlebar positioning. More upright position (almost like stock).

I'm running Woodcrafts. Anyone have it setup like this?

Would lowering the front that much (however long the fork clips on the Woodcrafts are -- I think around 1 ¾") affect handling very much? You know, head shakes on highways and all that…

(I understand that most people install clip-ons to get into a more aggressive riding position but I bought them because I broke my OEM handlebars).
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

I dropped my front end about 3/4 of an inch to fit China clip ons above the triple. The only downside to this that I have found is that it is very difficult to sit comfortably. I should clarify: the riding position is good, but certain parts of my anatomy are slightly crushed. I am uncertain if this is strictly caused by the clip ons, as I also have aftermarket rear sets that push my feet higher and farther back. Since you have the Woodcraft ones (that I assume are fairly tall) and stock rear sets, I think you should be OK.

To reiterate, no, I have not noticed any adverse effects of dropping the front end of my bike to fit clip ons above the triple. But I don't race my bike; I only commute on the highway and partake in a few spirited rides every now and then.

PS: The forks should already be sticking out above the triples a little bit, as you probably noticed that the OEM handlebars had a cavity to fit over them. As a result, you probably don't have to lower it the full 1-3/4".
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #3
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Imo doing that lowers the front to far and would cause (me) handling issues.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by indr View Post
............Would lowering the front that much (however long the fork clips on the Woodcrafts are -- I think around 1 ¾") affect handling very much? You know, head shakes on highways and all that…
Yes, you have reduced the trial of the steering, which will make it easier to turn.
You could reach instability for high bumps (bumps try to turn the front wheel by itself), but that is something to test.

Headshakes may happen if you have removed the endbar weights.
Just test the new setup at low speed and on bumpy roads.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You'll have to lower it 1.75" to get clipons above the triple? That doesn't sound right... The clip itself is only like 1" and the forks are already about 1/4" above the triple. You should only have to lower the front end by 3/4" or so.

That will make a huge difference and won't be unsafe from a stability standpoint (mine has the rear raised about 1.75" and the front lowered 1/4"). Much more than that (like 1.75") will be so low that you'll risk bashing the fairing with the fender when you're on the brakes hard Under hard braking, you can get the front end to drop 3-4" at least, more if you're heavier and/or riding on the track!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.